Ontario Winters

/ Ontario Winters #11  
I think 30 hp would be plenty for the jobs on your list.
On an average snow fall with some drifting I can do 600m of laneway 8' wide with my 16 hp tractor in about 20 mins.

/ Ontario Winters #12  
My Kubota B3030 HSDC work well with our snow and my 400' driveway. With relatively dry snow it takes about 1 hour from when I fire it up until I have it cleaned up and put away.
Kubota%20B3030HSDC%20snowblowing.gif

We had some wet heavy snow in early April (2 feet on 2 occasions). That was really the acid test for me - no problem. I did slow down and take my time and some pictures:
April-Fool's-Day-4.jpg

/ Ontario Winters #13  
I live in Northern Ontario, in the mountains, just off the NE shore of Lake Superior. We get a lot of snow here!

For the first few winters I used my 30HP Kubota B7800 with the FEL, a 6 foot back blade and rear chains. It worked well enough until last winter when it snowed what seemed non-stop and a foot at a time all winter. I had snow and 10 foot snowbanks on April 1.

I bought a used, just like new, Agrotrend 5 foot rear snowblower for $700 and spent 1/4 the time clearing my driveway and other areas. I reversed my front tires and added v-bar chains. That made all the difference in traction.

I hate getting the snow blowback in my face but driving in reverse isn't so bad...yet. A front snowblower and cab would be nice but for the $700 I spent I am very happy.

I have a Woods rear snowblower and the first year I enjoyed clearing the driveways although the snow was constantly blowing into the face. I was using my heated snowmobile helmet and that helped a whole bunch.

The following year I went ahead and installed a fiberglass sunshade, Femco weather break, lights rear and front and added Plexiglas on the ROPS to close off the backend. I hooked up a DC motor to control the blower chute. By no means is it as nice as having a custom cab with full heat and radio, but it certainly makes being out in the cold blowing snow more enjoyable. Actually, most of the time I am out there with just a jacket and gloves.

wintersnow2.jpg

New method of handling snow:

DSCN0492.jpg

Old method of handling snow, she still does some of this!

SueWorking.jpg

/ Ontario Winters #14  
Nice snow pics guys. Thanks.

WilliamBos,

Strange that R4 tires with larger treads would fill up quicker than turfs. I also have turfs and there not bad. Actually, better than I thought they would be. Originally I wanted R4's but tractor came with turfs.

As I never have had R4's I cannot comment on how well they will do in clay. What about snow. Surely R4's are better than turfs ??

Vic

/ Ontario Winters #15  

WilliamBos,

Strange that R4 tires with larger treads would fill up quicker than turfs. I also have turfs and there not bad. Actually, better than I thought they would be. Originally I wanted R4's but tractor came with turfs.

As I never have had R4's I cannot comment on how well they will do in clay. What about snow. Surely R4's are better than turfs ??

Vic

Why did you have to ask. If this question gets out there will be a thousand post here and still no answer:D:D:D

/ Ontario Winters #16  

WilliamBos,

Vic

Have a look at a real set of snow tires, and then turfs, the treads are comparable. They will be fine, with chains even better. A friend of my Dads has to compacts, one with turfs, and one with R4's, he prefers the turf tractor over the R4 tractor.

We have R4's for over a month while we were waiting for the turfs to come, and even driving full speed on ashphalt would not clean them off. Like gumbo here, but the turfs clean off fine.

/ Ontario Winters
Thanks guys.

One more question for those of you who use (rear) snowblowers with position
control hitch.

Is the position control hitch useful in running snowblower or rear blade?
Or quarter inching is good enough for snow removal jobs?

Thank you for all responses.

/ Ontario Winters #18  
> reversed front tires.

Smart boy, I never thought of that. Thanks ;)

/ Ontario Winters #19  
Thanks guys.

One more question for those of you who use (rear) snowblowers with position
control hitch.

Is the position control hitch useful in running snowblower or rear blade?
Or quarter inching is good enough for snow removal jobs?

Thank you for all responses.

I am sure position control would be better but the 1/4" valve works fine for me

/ Ontario Winters #20  
> reversed front tires.

Smart boy, I never thought of that. Thanks ;)

Thanks but I can't take credit for the idea as many TBNr's had done this before me and that's where I got the idea. It works well on Kubota's where front wheel clearance for chains is a problem.