Open center Closed center?

/ Open center Closed center? #21  
You need a +20gpm valve that is closed center to work on that tractor. If you may need additional hydraulic functions in the future and have to get another valve I'd recommend upgrading if you can while you're at it.

/ Open center Closed center? #22  
Farmerford,

New guy here. Retired electronics tech and agree, hydraulics is a lot like an electronic circuit. I read with GREAT interest your explanation regarding "open/closed" center valves (spools) (bear with me here I'm still learning the ropes)

I have a JD401-C loader and 3 point hitch. The bucket and lift valves are of the "closed" type. (I have the manual) I am trying to adapt an "auxiliary" valve to control a grappling hook on my bucket. No joy so far. I tried 'inserting' my GB (grappling bucket) valve in 'series' with the bucket valve and while the bucket would work ok the GB did not. I believe the GB valve is of the 'open' center type. (when I pump compressed air into the feed ports and switch the lever to either an up or down position, air freely blows through those ports. Then when in neutral air goes in and then out through the hi side and the low side ports)

At this point I'm not sure of what question to ask next other than I would like to weld a plate just above my bucket valve and mount my grappling hook 'gadget' to my bucket in order to pick up tree limbs etc..) HELP, please.

You need a +20gpm valve that is closed center to work on that tractor. If you may need additional hydraulic functions in the future and have to get another valve I'd recommend upgrading if you can while you're at it.

Nothing about this grapple installation requires a 20GPM valve given that the system is closed center. Open center, yes. Closed center valving only has to flow enough to provide acceptable cylinder cycle times. A commonly available 12-15 GPM CC valve would more than likely be just fine unless the grapple cylinders were unusually large displacement.

/ Open center Closed center? #23  
Thanks for everyone's help, I think I'm getting a little closer to solving the problem. And J_J I will definitely try to convert or find out first about the 'array' of valves I do have on hand before I buy any others, real good advice for sure. (used to live in Jax, Fruit Cove on Roberts Rd., just above Switzerland)

hydroholic
(Living on the worlds' largest sandbar)

/ Open center Closed center? #24  
Whoops! Sorry, didn't see page 3 but here's a link to some pics I put up last night. (grappling hook)
Tractor Valve

hydroholic
Sandbar w/fl

/ Open center Closed center? #25  
OK, so now I'm getting a little more 'up to speed' regarding these valve types. I guess with some compressed air going into the "in" port what should I be looking for with the results I get? And with this information can I then determine "what" sort of valve I do, in fact, have in my hand?

Bottom line is this: In testing a valve with compressed air "what" are the results for each valve type, (open or closed)?

I really do appreciate all the info here from you guys, makes life a LOT easier.

hydroholic
Sandbar w/fl

/ Open center Closed center? #26  
If you can't find one to use, here is the smallest I could find, an 8 GPM valve that can converted to closed center.

Surplus Center - 1 SPOOL 8 GPM PRINCE MB11B5C1 DA VALVE

Hex screw converts the above valve to closed center.

Surplus Center - P-BEYOND & CLOSED CENTER PLUG 8 GPM MB VALVES

Closed Center Conversion
Convert to closed center by inserting the power beyond plug into the internal threads of port C then replacing the steel plug into port C.

Find a convenient place to tap into the main feed line for all the valves and add a tee. Then run a pressure line to the grapple valve and run a hose from the OUT port to tank. Connect cyl hose to work ports and you are now done.

If you wanted to go to solenoid valve, instant response , then use this valve with a DO3 subplate and connect it up and control the grapple using a button on the joystick loader valve.

Surplus Center - 12 VDC 10 GPM CC DA SOLENOID VALVE

DO3 subplate

Surplus Center - 1 STATION DO3 PARALLEL CC SUBPLATE

You will not have a fether capability, but you can add a needle valve and adjust the response to whatever speed you desire.

/ Open center Closed center? #27  
OK, so now I'm getting a little more 'up to speed' regarding these valve types. I guess with some compressed air going into the "in" port what should I be looking for with the results I get? And with this information can I then determine "what" sort of valve I do, in fact, have in my hand?

Bottom line is this: In testing a valve with compressed air "what" are the results for each valve type, (open or closed)?

I really do appreciate all the info here from you guys, makes life a LOT easier.

hydroholic
Sandbar w/fl

When you test an open center valve using air, air flow at the IN port should exit the PB or OUT port continuously.

If you work the lever one way, , air should exit one work port , and if the lever is moved the other way, air flows out the other work port..

If the valve is a closed center valve, lever in neutral, Air at the IN port will be blocked inside the valve. If you work the lever, air should exit the work ports.

There is really more to testing, such as moving the lever part way, and the results you might expect.

You have to know how the valve works before you can do a complete test.

The valve I posted above can be converted to an open center valve, a PB valve, or a closed center valve.

Last edited:
   / Open center Closed center? #28  
Farmer;

Thank you for the very thorough explanation. Those of us still awake:D eagerly await your second installment

WAS THAT COMMENT NECESSARY ?

Last edited:
   / Open center Closed center? #29  
The cylinder I am using I'm told is a "double" action, i.e. pressure in to open, pressure on other fitting to close grapple. OK, so now I'm off to see if this one can be converted. I'll keep you all posted (probably a week) I'll even put up a u-tube video of the whole thing inaction when done. Yahoooo.

hydroholic
sandbar w/fl

/ Open center Closed center? #30  
Farmerford

Thank you for your explanation it was very interesting and informative.