Comparison Opinions needed!!

/ Opinions needed!! #11  
Are there any JD 4020's up there? Good ones can usually be had for under 20K in my area. That is good money considering they were less than that new.

JD 4020s are awesome workhorses.

/ Opinions needed!!
45 hp can lift a round bale?? Must be slow going... But up here in Canukistan, we gotta expect wet weather and the odd snow drift. Plus the corrals are on a slope. Would like fwa, would need min 65 drawbar to pull the cultivator.

I search for a 4020 on kijiji.ca, and found one about 4.5 hours away. Decent price, $13,500 plus trucking bill..10 hours X195/hr, might get a deal of $1500 for trucking....

Massey is still cheaper, and mfwa.

/ Opinions needed!! #13  
A JD 4020 is not the cheapest used tractor, but are a proven working machine that is as close to bullet proof as you can get. You could buy one now, and in 10 years get as much or more as you paid for it.

/ Opinions needed!! #14  
A JD 4020 is not the cheapest used tractor, but are a proven working machine that is as close to bullet proof as you can get. You could buy one now, and in 10 years get as much or more as you paid for it.

I bought a 4020 diesel syncro forty years ago and could sell it today for more than I paid for it if kept in good condition. I sold my forty year old 820 this summer for more than it sold for new. I haven't used a Case 1270 but did have a 1370 cab with 12sp powershift, good tractor bought used for $10k in 1984. Only major expense on the Case was new tires, four new 18.4 38 tires was a chunk of change for me at the time.

I think some of the row crop tractors are easier to find on the used market than the smaller tractors as there are lots of them out there and lower demand for them. Most of them are well used though as these were used to make a living, not hobby farming.

/ Opinions needed!!
I see row crop tractors for sale on every site...still don't know what that means. Does that mean the front tires are in the center? Like a tricycle?

Also, every one tells me that john deere tires are more expensive cause they're extra wide. 20.5x34s? Case are 18.4x38?

/ Opinions needed!!
Yeah, i guess if you look at a bull dozer or track loader, they are low horse power...

A 4020 is old!! Can you still get parts for them.? Heck, the 68 Cockshutt is newer isn't it? And mfwa, and less than half the price!

But i have seen 4020s at auctions around here... I put a proxy bid on a 5020 a few weeks ago and didn't get it, at $5000. But i don't know what the final bid was.

/ Opinions needed!! #18  
I see row crop tractors for sale on every site...still don't know what that means. Does that mean the front tires are in the center? Like a tricycle?

Row crop tractors are typically taller, and were commonly available with narrow, single or wide front ends, depending on the intended uses, but wide seems to be the most common. Look at pictures of a Ford 861 and 961....same basic machine, but the 861 is a utility tractor, and the 961 a row crop.

/ Opinions needed!! #19  

Also, every one tells me that john deere tires are more expensive cause they're extra wide. 20.5x34s? Case are 18.4x38?

Sorry I meant larger field tractors as compared to the small compact and utility tractors. Most manufactures offer lots of different tire size options, pick what works best for your own use.

For what you wan't to do a good 60+ hp utility tractor with mfwd and large wheels should do the trick. A Deere 5055e or similar tractor should work with the better loader on it. Might wan't to find something similar in size old or new, "just saying".

/ Opinions needed!! #20  
Hi
My Dad just sold his m9000 2001 kubota 90hp for 25000 with the good swiss loader(replaceble bushing) and new tires 2 yrs ago and 2000 something for hours on it. bear in mind with the cab u get heat and ac and a radio shuttle shift, the extendable 3 pt hitch by kubota for ease of hook up for implements, also all the hydraulic power u need ie rear remotes.

ok maybe u dont need all that power but the quick attach on the loader and all the conveniences for that price sure makes those dinosaurs overpriced dont u think?

im just saying look at all the what if conveniences that u might need the tractor for along with hp and pricing
if ur looking after cattle a quick attach loader for bucket forks or bail spear come in some handy just to list a few
go to a dealer look at the bigger and work ur way down coz there all different features, then decide what u want
also lots of advice in the forums about models and reviews
Do ur home work and u shouldnt say "i wish i should of ......."

Remember its all equipment that can break or be abused or not serviced or greased so look at the other items the seller has in his yard. This will give u an understanding of their neglect or maint
My wife and i will soon purchase our first tractor. It will be used mainly as a loader tractor, feeding round bales for 35 head.

The tractors that we are trying to decide between are:

A; 1989 Massey 399 fwa $18,000
Has recent engine work, front end work, and clutch from dealer.
B; 197l JICase 1270. $10,000
C;1968 Cockshutt 1850fwa $5500
D; 1991 CaseIH 7110fwa $26,000 Has been abused...but cheap...
All opinions are welcome, facts are appreciated.