Comparison Opinions needed!!

/ Opinions needed!!
Well, i haven't found any decent priced kubotas, but i did find a John Deere 3140 fwa with loader and grapple for 15,000. It is about the same horse power as the Massey is, but 10 years older, and only a hair cheaper. Also found a John Deere 4230 2wd, but the guy wants 18,000 and its a few years older than the 3140.
Does anyone have any reviews for me for a 3140? John Deere only produced them for 2 years, where the Massey399 was produced for 11 years... Im still swaying towards the Massey, for parts availability if nothing else.

Last edited:
   / Opinions needed!! #22  
3140's weren't sold in the US, but enough similar Mannheim- built Deeres of that vintage were to make an impact. Tractors like these having a shift-on-the-fly high/low lever on the dash and independent PTO are notorious for developing internal leaks in the hydraulic system regulated circuit that acts as the control system for the mentioned functions. Spendy to repair with heavy labor requirements. Waterloo, Iowa built Deeres of that vintage are generally held in much higher regard.

/ Opinions needed!!
Internal leaks would cause pressures to go all wonky right? Id assume the pto would be weak/slow. And shifting would be rough? Maybe i can phone the serial number in to the local dealer to find out where it was built...