Opinions on a NH 640 round baler?

/ Opinions on a NH 640 round baler? #21  
The main drawback to manual tie is ending up with an inconsistent amount of twine on bales both in amount and placement. NH still has one model of "econo-baler" and invariably I end up struggling with a new owner/operator to convince him that twine placement is not the fault of the baler. An understanding operator can use this system effectively, though.

/ Opinions on a NH 640 round baler? #22  
chh said:
I wish I was getting $50 a bale. Hay movement is real slow here in OK. For that price you could probably use the machine a couple of years and come close to getting your money back out of it. You might want to get that NH ace to go out and give it the once over. Pickup, belts, ect. Have them hook it to a tractor(if they will) and listen to it run.
I'd steam clean this baler if it was on my lot. I'd also get the command box inside out of the weather.
Use a chain lub from a can that is a dry lube. You will extend your chain life and have less chance of fire. If you has a bearing get hot and start a fire with that grease buildup you likely could not put the fire out. With chain lube you will not have that problem.

/ Opinions on a NH 640 round baler?
mark.r said:
What is the definition of manual tie and spring tension? Can you run a Case/IH8420 on 45 gross hp tractor?

You can run it easily. It is rated to run on as little as 30 pto hp.

Still haven't pulled the trigger. Gonna make up my mind before the day is out. My friend who is an implement dealer has a couple pretty decent Case-IH 8440's that are less money, and in slightly better condition. They are essentially a Hesston 5510 painted Case-IH colors. But of course, then I'm going back to only spring tension, gotta turn off the pto to dump the bale, gotta back up(no bale ramp), and a manually operated electric tie. I don't bale that much hay, but I really would like to have all the features the 640 has on it. But this friend of mine has really been good to me, he lets me borrow equipment when ever I need it, he sells me everything at cost, and he was even Godfather to my son, so I have a hard time not buying from him, but he hasn't got exactly what I am looking for.

Well I talked to my friend who is a dealer. I didn't want to go buy this one if it was going to make him mad that I went around him. He told me for that price get my butt down there and get it and when I got it home if I don't like it he'll buy it from me for what I gave for it. He says that is as cheap as you are going to find a working NH 640 that isn't totally wore out. I called the salesman down there and am sending him a deposit and then I'll go after it sometime next week. I'll take some pics and post them when I get it home.

/ Opinions on a NH 640 round baler? #26  
CumminsLuke said:
Well I talked to my friend who is a dealer. I didn't want to go buy this one if it was going to make him mad that I went around him. He told me for that price get my butt down there and get it and when I got it home if I don't like it he'll buy it from me for what I gave for it. He says that is as cheap as you are going to find a working NH 640 that isn't totally wore out. I called the salesman down there and am sending him a deposit and then I'll go after it sometime next week. I'll take some pics and post them when I get it home.

Sounds like a true friend.
Good luck with the new baler.

Well, got er home. Some things are better than I thought they'd be and a few maybe a little worse. All in all, not to bad. Hooked up the monitor and it says she has 16,466 bales through her. I have not hooked up the pto and the hydraulic hoses and run it yet. Maybe next weekend I'll have time. Belts are all pretty bad. They might go a while, but they are pretty cracked around the lacing. I think I am gonna put all new ones in it, but I need to evaluate a few other things first.

/ Opinions on a NH 640 round baler? #28  
Is this a twine only baler or will it also mange net wrap?

jimg said:
Is this a twine only baler or will it also mange net wrap?

This one is twine only, they do come in net and twine. But they go for a lot of money. Cheapest one I could find was $10,000.

/ Opinions on a NH 640 round baler? #30  
Sounds like you have a plan going. Good luck with it. 16,000 sounds like a lot of bales, but I have seen well maintained round balers with over 38,000 on the monitor and in shape to do a lot more.