Opinions on box blade modifications

/ Opinions on box blade modifications
Well this project took me quite a while to get finished. I played around with my welder on scrap steel to get enough confidence to take it to my box blade. I did make a few mistakes and learned very quickly that making mistakes with 1/2" steel is NOT fun.

Many hours of grinding ensued. The finished product is not quite as neat as I think I could probably achieve now after having learned a LOT about welding just on this project.

That said - it is done and now I have the option of fixing my rear blade or having it float.

I am using two 7/8" pins and the blade does not move more than a couple of mm.

I've posted a photograph for anyone interested.

Attachments

• img_5794.jpg
    img_5794.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 320
   / Opinions on box blade modifications #22  
Canoe, Good job!! There is satisfaction in finishing something like that and in the process learning new skills.

I have a couple suggestions that You can take or leave as you will. You can make it a bit more aesthetic by rounding off the corners (It might save a shin scrape too). Secondly, with the two tabs a distance apart you will eventually get a bit of movement and the holes will elongate into ovals. You can eliminate that by putting a third tab between the two tabs that are there now.

I would wait to do any mods though until after you work some of that "purty" paint off. :D

OK now that you have a taste of "fabricating" you will have a thirst for something more--so what is next in your mind. After all you have a great welder that is just itching for a new project. :rolleyes:

Mike

Mike,

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I think a third tab is a good idea.

It took me quite a bit longer than it should have to get this done and more than a few mistakes - on something pretty simple at the end. That said, I'm hooked :)

I've been trying to get one of my farm gates fixed. I hit it with my snowblower auger. Instead of getting upset when I do something like that, now I find myself saying "good thing I've got that welder!".

The problem I face though is that the gate is made of 1 5/8" galvanized steel pipe. I can't seem to find that size anywhere I look. I went to the local metal dealer, scrap yard, Midas (metal dealer suggested) and one fence supplier. All have 1.5" but not 1 5/8.

I didn't have terribly good luck trying to weld some scrap 1.5" I had lying around to the 1 5/8. It was pretty darn easy to burn thorough the metal since the fit up was not quite right and there was a bit of a gap. I might just have to get some 1.5" and try this again. Maybe switching over to 0.023 wire will help (I'm trying to do this with 0.030).

I sure hope I don't have to resort to buying a new gate!

I don't have anything else lined up. Some sort of carry all for the 3 pt would be nice as I am hoping to get a generator at some point. Would be nice to throw it on with my compressor or a paint gun to go do some work on fences.

/ Opinions on box blade modifications #24  
Mike,

I didn't have terribly good luck trying to weld some scrap 1.5" I had lying around to the 1 5/8. It was pretty darn easy to burn thorough the metal since the fit up was not quite right and there was a bit of a gap. I might just have to get some 1.5" and try this again. Maybe switching over to 0.023 wire will help (I'm trying to do this with 0.030).

A couple of suggestions (but you may already know all this)

If you are welding materials of different wall thickness, concentrate the weld much more on the thicker material because it will require more heat for a good weld anyway, then just lightly and fairly quickly drag the puddle in a weaving motion to stitch to the lighter material. (hard to describe but you'll know it when it happens)

You probably have correctly adjusted the welder settings, but sometimes when cobbling badly matched pieces with welds which are not too critical, it helps to weld in short stitches letting things firm up a bit before continuing to build up the joint. This also helps when welding thin materials.

A smaller wire may not help as much as a little more practice. ;)

But what we see of your work above shows you are off to a very good start, hang in there.

Hope that helps
Sherweld

Thanks for the encouragement and tips Sherweld.

The pipe I am working on is probably 18 guage. I have since discovered, as you pointed out (as did someone else on millerwelds) that I ought to do short stiches to build up some more metal to fill the gaps.

I'm going to have to find some more pipe and give it a shot!

Thanks again.

/ Opinions on box blade modifications #26  
Hey canoe,
Good job on the box blade mod. That should work very well.
Don't worry about your welding skills, they will improve over time. Before you know it, you'll be an expert welder. Just keep plugging away at the welding projects and it will become easier and easier.