Opinions on "leftover" LX4500 w/ FEL

/ Opinions on "leftover" LX4500 w/ FEL #1  

Nequasset

Tractor
Yanmar LX4500
Good afternoon all- I have "perused" TBN for quite some time, but finally got around to setting up an account. I live at the end of a half mile dirt road in Maine, and up to this year had plowed it with an '86 F350 w/ 460BB. I had gotten a good deal on the truck- and it plows like the devil when it runs, but I have had enough with its lack of reliability. I want to replace the truck with a tractor for its added versatility.
To cut a long story short I have winnowed my choices down to a new MF1742 and a leftover Tier 3 Yanmar LX4500 (0.6 hrs.). I am really leaning towards the Yanmar, there was nothing I seriously disliked about the tractor but am questioning the limited dealer network and low(er) volume of other LX's out there. Down the road (after winter ends) I plan on using the tractor for road maintenance, Bush hogging, perhaps throw on a chipper and maybe a winch for logging. In searching through older posts- the other Yanmar owners seemed to be happy with their machines? Also R1 vs R4 tires for either of these machines? I wanted to throw a line out there and see if there were any different information, experiences, or opinions. Thanks!

/ Opinions on "leftover" LX4500 w/ FEL #3  
Good afternoon all- I have "perused" TBN for quite some time, but finally got around to setting up an account. I live at the end of a half mile dirt road in Maine, and up to this year had plowed it with an '86 F350 w/ 460BB. I had gotten a good deal on the truck- and it plows like the devil when it runs, but I have had enough with its lack of reliability. I want to replace the truck with a tractor for its added versatility.
To cut a long story short I have winnowed my choices down to a new MF1742 and a leftover Tier 3 Yanmar LX4500 (0.6 hrs.). I am really leaning towards the Yanmar, there was nothing I seriously disliked about the tractor but am questioning the limited dealer network and low(er) volume of other LX's out there. Down the road (after winter ends) I plan on using the tractor for road maintenance, Bush hogging, perhaps throw on a chipper and maybe a winch for logging. In searching through older posts- the other Yanmar owners seemed to be happy with their machines? Also R1 vs R4 tires for either of these machines? I wanted to throw a line out there and see if there were any different information, experiences, or opinions. Thanks!

Welcome to TBN!!!!!!
I have been pleased with my EX450 Yanmar , and so far have not needed a dealer. My dealer closed shop about a year after I bought my tractor. I do have another dealer about 45 miles away if it becomes necessary.

/ Opinions on "leftover" LX4500 w/ FEL #4  
What is it that has you leaning towards the Yanmar over the Massey?

/ Opinions on "leftover" LX4500 w/ FEL
What is it that has you leaning towards the Yanmar over the Massey?

Thank you all for the welcome! I left out that both tractors have HST's. IN my tractor search I had pretty much resigned myself to a tier 4 engine- of the tier 4's, I liked the Mitsubishi in the Massey the best, I figured the only way I would get into a tier 3 was to pick up a used tractor- which I wanted to avoid. Here in 2017 I feel like both were pretty much on even ground, I question the longevity of the MF engine with all of the environmental "extras". I also have the impression that the planetary final drives on the yanmar are a bit more robust?

/ Opinions on "leftover" LX4500 w/ FEL #6  
I don't know that there are planetary final drives on the HST Yanmar tractors...

I wouldn't be concerned with the Tier 4 stuff at this point, b especially the Massey Mitsubishi units, they seem to have near 50-hr Regen intervals, compared to only 10 hours from some other manufacturers.

I've had excellent ownership experience with the Massey compacts... Based on my part user experience I'd go Massey again, But I think the a Yanmar LX compacts are nice machines as well. Besides parts and dealer support, either would probably be a good choice.

I don't know that there are planetary final drives on the HST Yanmar tractors...

I wouldn't be concerned with the Tier 4 stuff at this point, b especially the Massey Mitsubishi units, they seem to have near 50-hr Regen intervals, compared to only 10 hours from some other manufacturers.

I've had excellent ownership experience with the Massey compacts... Based on my part user experience I'd go Massey again, But I think the a Yanmar LX compacts are nice machines as well. Besides parts and dealer support, either would probably be a good choice.

Based on the information I have these Yanmars have a "planetary system" final drive, headed back to the dealers tomorrow for a second look at both tractors and some more seat time!! Thanks for the input!

/ Opinions on "leftover" LX4500 w/ FEL #8  
Here is a shot of the HST from our tractors. I don't see any planetary gears in the schematics to the front or rear either.

had my yanmar since 2014 summer. I also purchased the oem backhoe, oem 3rd function, and a couple of fancy attachments from EA. I have about 20 acres and the Tractor does everything i need it to do. I had an issue with the hydraulics last year, and because the dealer is a smaller dealer, it took some time to get it addressed. In addition the tech at the dealer was not a yanmar expert, and Yanmar doesnt really have any 'field agents'. eventually though, the problem was fixed, new pump, valves, oils, connectors (basically yanmar was throwing parts at it). The dealer was awesome about it, yanmar was good too. they eventually sent out a field technician and let me watch him work on it. that was nice.

Parts waiting time sucks if they have to get it from Japan, 1-2 weeks to import (including customs), then transit time from Georgia to the dealer, which in my case was another 5 days. So basically 3 weeks to get parts that are not in stock in GA.

Other than that, the tractor is a beast, has a good weight, lots of power, solid frame and loader. I use it more like a skid steer than a tractor.. which means I beat it up. with the EA root grapple, I pick up LARGE logs... has great loader capacity. Anyway, if you go Yanmar, you wont be disappointed. The machine is pretty good, i would say my hydraulic issue was a fluke. I haven't heard of any others being an issue.

lxtranny.png

Last edited:
Jeeze thank you for the diagram- where did you pick the shop manual? I saw a few links but was hesitant to pull the trigger- as I wasn't quite sure if the sites were legit.

/ Opinions on "leftover" LX4500 w/ FEL #10  
Speaking of Yanmar... my JD 4105 diesel is one. I've found the oil and fuel filter readily available at my local auto-parts shop (as opposed to a 4 hr. round trip to my dealership for "JD" filters).

They may even have other parts for the Yanmar at this shop, or I could go through my JD dealership. It's a possible alternative for diesel parts.