Opinions on Steel Buildings

/ Opinions on Steel Buildings #11  
I am in the middle of putting up a Miracle Truss building. Actually just got done with having the foundation poured and the concrete folks messed up the location of one of the bolt sets for one of the truss's. :mad: Not sure yet how I am going to deal with that.
The building I ordered was one with 8ft walls, it actually came in at 6ft 8in. Seems they measure the wall height on the outside of the wall from the ground to the roof top, at the wall. In which case mine is 8ft, but the INSIDE clearance height is only 6ft 8in due to the truss frame. :( Since I am putting the building on a 3ft stem wall, that is not a major issue for me. If I was putting it on a slab... it would have been a major clearance issue. Be VERY careful of exactly what dimensions you are talking about with these folks.

/ Opinions on Steel Buildings #12  
IXLR8 said:
I am in the middle of putting up a Miracle Truss building. Actually just got done with having the foundation poured and the concrete folks messed up the location of one of the bolt sets for one of the truss's. :mad: QUOTE]

Epoxy Bolts

Fastenal has epoxy made for anchoring All Thread Rod Into Concrete. We use it all the time, I work for Sheridan Corp.
1) You Drill a hole 1/8" or so larger than the threaded rod, to the required depth.
2) Pump in the required amount of epoxy
3) Shove in the all thread and tap with a hammer to vibrate in the epoxy
4) Wait an hour or two and tighten down the nuts.

This is a rough explanation. Follow directions and check load requirements

The folks at every fastenall I have been to are very helpful. I know they have fastenal's in Brunswick, Oakland, Bangor, Portland, Thomaston, Augusta and who knows where else.

This stuff works wonders although it is not too cheap

/ Opinions on Steel Buildings #13  
tessiers said:
IXLR8 said:
I am in the middle of putting up a Miracle Truss building. Actually just got done with having the foundation poured and the concrete folks messed up the location of one of the bolt sets for one of the truss's. :mad:

Epoxy Bolts
Fastenal has epoxy made for anchoring All Thread Rod Into Concrete.

The folks at every Fastenall I have been to are very helpful. I know they have Fastenal's in Brunswick, Oakland, Bangor, Portland, Thomaston, Augusta and who knows where else.
Thanks for the input. I am getting on a first name basis with the manager at the Thomaston store. :)

/ Opinions on Steel Buildings #14  
Chris, I have a 30' x 40' pole barn, with 10' x 10' sliding door on one end and standard walk-thru door on other. Installed by National Barn in Aug 06. I was very pleased with this company, my county code required 2"x12" headers and they provided these at no extra charge. Ordered in Jul 06 and intalled approx 1 month later. In Virginia, there is a traveling team of about 3-5 builders who erect barn after delivered. No issues as of today, we had a few days of 60 mph winds and no problems. By the way, installed for less than 10k. Only thing I furnished was cement for the post holes.

Eddie

/ Opinions on Steel Buildings
Not much of an update, but here goes..
Every day I settle on a company, I look a little bit longer and start changing my mind. It seems all the different companies have their own weak/strong points. I think I'm at the point of getting quotes from following companies, and going the lowest bid. (apples to apples)

1- National Barn Company (wood framed)
2- Morton Buildings (wood framed)
3- Mueller (steel framed)
4- Miracle Truss (steel and wood)

I think I'll look up some contractors to bid a traditional stick and brick building while I'm at it.

/ Opinions on Steel Buildings #17  
As I dig further in to my Miracle Truss garage, the less happy I am with them. I find hardware missing, I have 2 rolls of sheet metal, 12" wide, that I have no idea what it is for. It is not called out anywhere in the directions/plans. I had the building designed with 2 overhead doors at one end and an entry door at the other end. The isometric view of the building shows the entry door, but none of the plans do! :eek: There is no framing for the door. The plans show wind bracing where the door goes! The plans show how to install sliding barn doors, which I don't have, but not the overhead doors that I do have! :eek: The plans call out that I use 2x8 KD for the roof rafters, but the local structural engineer insisted that 2x10's would be the absolute mininum with our snow loads, across a 10' span. MT insisted that 2x8's would be fine. I finally told them to figure the siding/roofing on using 2x10's or cancel the order. I am sure hoping that they made the changes to the siding and the roofing lengths for the 2x10's, won't know that for another month when it warms up enough to do some concrete/epoxy work to correct the Concrete companies mess ups. In summary, I am not real happy with Miracle Truss and I would never order from them again.

/ Opinions on Steel Buildings #18  
What are the reasons people go with steel buildings vs a stick built structure, ie, 2x4 or 2x6 frame on 16" or 24" centers, truss and plywood with asphalt shingle roof, etc. I've been looking at both in my area for a 30'w x40'l x 10'h(wall) building and the prices are comparable????
Thanks,
Barney

/ Opinions on Steel Buildings #19  
Barneyhunts said:
What are the reasons people go with steel buildings vs a stick built structure, ie, 2x4 or 2x6 frame on 16" or 24" centers, truss and plywood with asphalt shingle roof, etc. I've been looking at both in my area for a 30'w x40'l x 10'h(wall) building and the prices are comparable????
Thanks,
Barney

Steel typically has larger clear spans and doesn't rot or get eaten by termites. Not as much worry about fire danger (welding, metal working) with a steel building versus a wood building.

If you just want a garage or wood shop then a wood frame building is a good idea.

/ Opinions on Steel Buildings #20  
I went with a steel building as I didn't want to deal with any maintenance issues. I didn't want to have to reshingle/repaint it. I am starting to wish I had gone with a wood structure... at least I would have been done by now.