Options for hauling slash piles, tops, etc..

/ Options for hauling slash piles, tops, etc..
Roadhunter,
Thank you. The video was fascinating. Is the biochar you produce used as a soil amendment and do you draw your heat from the machine described or burn them directly.

We do use it as a soil amendment but it's also used for many other applications from replacing activated carbon in industrial applications to use as a feed supplement and odor control for livestock. We utilize the heat from the machine which makes about 1 million BTU of heat while making the biochar.

Here is another truck that seems like it might work but the crane is in front. That seems nice having the ability to shoot chips into the bed and dump as well as load logs or brush. Thoughts?
Grapple truck

/ Options for hauling slash piles, tops, etc.. #13  
Thanks again.
I used to converse with a guy in a wood gas forum who talked about running chips through his gasifier. I could never get him to put up pictures of the gasifier and then he went missing from the group so I didn't know whether he really did it or had an active imagination.

/ Options for hauling slash piles, tops, etc.. #14  
Seems terribly inefficient to move the very un-compact tops prior to chipping. Have you experimentally proven how much can be moved in one "load?" Might be surprised how little it is... Maybe.

This is probably expensive:
Redirect Notice

But could be maid from a dump combo trailer :
Redirect Notice
Like this:
Redirect Notice

/ Options for hauling slash piles, tops, etc.. #15  
Here's what runs through my mind?

How much is the end product worth?
100 tons costs how much delivered?

How much time does it take to make 100 tons? How much money and labor?

That truck seems to be an expensive investment for that much yield per month.

What about? One or two chippers behind a dump truck on a trailer (or in an end dump) with tractor grapple. Take to site, work for the day, till dump truck is full. Tractor can move stuff around feeding chipper(s).

Move whole operation around lunch to newer area.

I don't know how long it takes to fill a truck though for this so correct me as necessary.

/ Options for hauling slash piles, tops, etc.. #16  
What do you chip with?

I own a tree service. We haven't used a chipper as a regular means to process material in roughly 9 years. I also own an equipment dealership that sold a dozen or better new chippers last year.

This year we had a storm and won the debris hauling contract from the county. We hauled just under 100 75 yard loads ($51k) of mixed debris in 11 days with our truck for the county, plus our regular work in the off days.

The only way I think a chipper could be more efficient is if your chipper could load itself (loader built in), the roads could handle towing the chipper, and the piles were stacked and accessible.

A load of brush in my truck doesn't reach 500lbs/yard, but loading and unloading take a minuscule amount of time compared to the chipping. If you were using a horizontal or tub grinder there's no way chipping in the woods would keep up (less time feeding the masticator).

Here's what runs through my mind?

How much is the end product worth?
100 tons costs how much delivered?

How much time does it take to make 100 tons? How much money and labor?

That truck seems to be an expensive investment for that much yield per month.

What about? One or two chippers behind a dump truck on a trailer (or in an end dump) with tractor grapple. Take to site, work for the day, till dump truck is full. Tractor can move stuff around feeding chipper(s).

Move whole operation around lunch to newer area.

I don't know how long it takes to fill a truck though for this so correct me as necessary.

Chips are expensive in this area, over $60 per ton delivered. Waste is free.

What would be the benefit of 2 chippers?

/ Options for hauling slash piles, tops, etc.. #19  
What do you chip with?

I own a tree service. We haven't used a chipper as a regular means to process material in roughly 9 years. I also own an equipment dealership that sold a dozen or better new chippers last year.

This year we had a storm and won the debris hauling contract from the county. We hauled just under 100 75 yard loads ($51k) of mixed debris in 11 days with our truck for the county, plus our regular work in the off days.

The only way I think a chipper could be more efficient is if your chipper could load itself (loader built in), the roads could handle towing the chipper, and the piles were stacked and accessible.

A load of brush in my truck doesn't reach 500lbs/yard, but loading and unloading take a minuscule amount of time compared to the chipping. If you were using a horizontal or tub grinder there's no way chipping in the woods would keep up (less time feeding the masticator).

You couldn't run a tree service here without a chipper,It takes ten truckloads of tree waste to the one truckload of chip.Meaning you are running your truck ten times to some one with a chipper once for the same volume.A relatively small 18" bandit will still process 7 ton every 15 mins.Running trucks is expensive here not sure in your part of the world.

/ Options for hauling slash piles, tops, etc.. #20  
Have you considered Fecon RTC 22 Mobile Chipper with
unloading hopper?
rtc22-188.jpg
Land Clearing - Mobile Wood Chipper - RTC22 - Fecon - YouTube
Or directly to truck:
Fecon RTC-22-Bio-Mass Chipper.MOD - YouTube