Options for hauling slash piles, tops, etc..

/ Options for hauling slash piles, tops, etc.. #21  
You couldn't run a tree service here without a chipper,It takes ten truckloads of tree waste to the one truckload of chip.Meaning you are running your truck ten times to some one with a chipper once for the same volume.A relatively small 18" bandit will still process 7 ton every 15 mins.Running trucks is expensive here not sure in your part of the world.

A 10/1 reduction in chipping brush vs my truck is laughable. That means a full load would only have 3800lbs of brush in it, roughly.

Also, how does your chipper help you with the wood that won't fit in your chipper? I can fit 40klbs of tree (brush and logs from the same tree) in my truck, more if it's just logs and less if it's just brush, especially if the brush isn't processed. Still, I can lift more than 3800lbs of brush in a single grab.

For example:
2016-04-22 15.40.07.jpg

/ Options for hauling slash piles, tops, etc.. #22  
A 10/1 reduction in chipping brush vs my truck is laughable. That means a full load would only have 3800lbs of brush in it, roughly.

Also, how does your chipper help you with the wood that won't fit in your chipper? I can fit 40klbs of tree (brush and logs from the same tree) in my truck, more if it's just logs and less if it's just brush, especially if the brush isn't processed. Still, I can lift more than 3800lbs of brush in a single grab.

For example:
View attachment 475614

The original poster specifically said he's picking up slash to chip and nothing is over 6" in diameter, not logs.

/ Options for hauling slash piles, tops, etc.. #23  
Yes, and Kiwi was talking about tree service operations.

I'm nearly positive if the OP had access to low cost, small diameter logs, he would much rather have that than brush. I have a customer in VT that bought an 17", 140hp chipper last year to make auger-able chips for his process. He chipped logs (lower ash content for one) specifically.

/ Options for hauling slash piles, tops, etc..
   / Options for hauling slash piles, tops, etc..
Yes, and Kiwi was talking about tree service operations.

I'm nearly positive if the OP had access to low cost, small diameter logs, he would much rather have that than brush. I have a customer in VT that bought an 17", 140hp chipper last year to make auger-able chips for his process. He chipped logs (lower ash content for one) specifically.

Correct. The chips I buy locally are from whole trees 36" or less so they are really high quality (low ash) but very expensive.

I still run chips through a hammermill to get a consistent size but chipping small logs makes for better chips than bruch for sure.

I have looked into some chipper options and even found a vermeer 906 PTO chipper (9")available in the area which my tractor would run. The loggers around here take everything down to about 5" for post material so what's left is usually pretty small. There is also other material available from small thinning jobs that are full trees as well as material at the local dump and a local lake has an unlimited supply of cottonwood. That being said I'd much rather have a chipper with more capacity than 9" and more HP than my tractor. I have a vermeer dealer within a couple of hours so I will probably go that route. They do have a BC1500 available for rent that I thought about trying.

/ Options for hauling slash piles, tops, etc.. #26  

For example:
View attachment 475614

If you are able to run maximum weight in your truck per load by stacking brush with a grapple you probably have found the holy grail and every tree service would be off loading there chippers in droves.You will reduce your volume of brush 10:1 roughly by chipping that is a fact.Chip is a product worth something here brush and green waste I have to pay some one to take it of my hands.Any logs that don't fit in the chipper are hauled away as they make me money(firewood ,lumber etc) if they are a low grade I have a cone splitter and where work sites allow explosives to break them down to fit.I am sure every country differs in the trucking regs on what weight is allowable etc.