ordinance to ban tractors

/ ordinance to ban tractors #61  
I used to be a rural town dweller in what was a strong Ag county. Had an experience there that wasn't zoning related but speaks to these kind of issues. About 10 years ago a city councilman dedided to change the routing of the streets and alleys in my neighborhood to appease two dwellers who bought homes with no on street and no off-street parking. With my property and the requirement for off-street supplimental parking (rental units) these changes would have changed my around the block commute, from the front of my residence to the back, from a less than 1/4 mile trip to a minimum 1.2 mile trip. I went to the council meeting and voiced my concern as others on my street were in the same situtation. Was not so politely asked to sit down by the city council president after 2 minutes of very civil comment. Bad idea. I was right and they were wrong and I knew it. Organized the community and circulated a petition. We showed up with over 300 people when the city council had never seen over 60. When I walked in I didn't know many of the faces so I didn't know if they were for or against our position. I spoke my piece this time uninterrupted and based on the response of the crowd never had to followup or ask what their final decision would be. It would have been political suiside to go against us. We were impeding progress in their oponion but we were right. The road traffic travel direction changes obviously never happened. You need your neighbors as foot soldiers to take this kind of action and be successful.

Now I live on a small plot outside of town. One neighbor is seriously into nitro powered vehicles, another is a large farmer (Maryland standards) , two have 6,000 SF plus palaces, Another is into guns and Harleys and shooting them way too close to the other residences. Another with only 4 acres does allot of hunting on the property. Let someone come around here and try and mess with any of our wide array of hobbies and desires. Game over! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Do we annoy one another from time to time? Sure. So what!!

/ ordinance to ban tractors #62  
My little town passed a silly ordinance on animals. Seems rats are ok, and mice are fine, but dont have your cat out without a leash and it must be penned up if it is not on a leash. Oh and you can have pot bellied pigs if you want, they can roam free also. Dogs, no way, horses, not in this town.

My 5 outside cats are still OUTSIDE and still free to roam, and I dont have rats or mice.

Sometimes I think these things come from stuffed shirt lawyers trying to show some worth, or from stuffed shirt silly boys and girls that want to pick on everyone else to further their agenda.

/ ordinance to ban tractors #63  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hello,

The real problem is us. I never went to a township board meeting before I ran for trustee. Now that I am on the board we have VERY few people that come to the meetings. Only when they have a problem or request. One person has been attending regular to promote her own agenda much like your problems. She doesn't like semi trucks parked, weeds in yards, etc.
ksmmoto )</font>
==========
<font color="#666666"> The real problem is us. I never went to a township board meeting before I ran for trustee. Now that I am on the board we have VERY few people that come to the meetings. Only when they have a problem or request. One person has been attending regular to promote her own agenda much like your problems. She doesn't like semi trucks parked, weeds in yards, etc.
ksmmoto >
================
This is how hair hats control the lives of the majority </font>

/ ordinance to ban tractors #64  
As a Canuck, I usually think that I live in the most over-governed country on the planet.

While there are many things I like about the Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave, I noticed a rising trend of local micro-meddling quite a few years ago. Where is "The Duke", or "Dirty Harry" when you need 'em, Eh ? :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if that really is a Canada/USA difference, or it just takes a little longer for our lawyers/pols to get spun up to speed. (There were a couple of Canadian news items recently that in almost as many words said "Now that Washington has made a decision, we can now get on with photocopying the legislation for use in Canada". To be clear, that is a slam against my pols, not any USA ones.)

One thing I noticed many years ago was the covenant/restrictions in new subdivisions against outdoor clotheslines.

Both of my (very properly mannered) grandmothers passed on years ago, but if still alive would have politely inquired if the people behind those clothesline restrictions were "all right in the head". AND, present day we (esp. gubmints) are supposed to be Eco friendly and focused on energy independence.

Right.

About the only really sensible zoning legislation I've seen in a while (Can or USA) was at the State level in Florida. It basically said that if you had something built to utilize solar energy (safely, using reasonable engineering practices), then it could NOT be prohibited at a local level. That was a few years back, hopefully the legislation is still in place/not struck down.

Rgds, D.