Our barn restoration project

/ Our barn restoration project #31  
Great job, I love barns.

/ Our barn restoration project #33  
Great photos. Thanks for posting.

I'm impressed that you gave it a shot. Most people would look at the overgrown mess and just bulldoze everything. It's great that you saved it. Will you continue with that smaller building next to it?

Congratulations on your restoration. The community around you should be grateful for what you've done.

/ Our barn restoration project #34  
Just wow! I love barns. Really. I have a book about the history of the American Barn on my side table right now. As a carpenter and a country boy, I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with your project. Thanks for taking the time to share.

/ Our barn restoration project
Yes, the old milk house will be saved. At this time, the rafters are pretty much a total loss, so that'll be a future project. I also have permission from the city to reconstruct the building next to the milk house, but I'm not sure I'm going to. My wife has learned from me to look past what is "now" and focus of what the properties potential is. I think this one might have pushed the boundaries though.

We got two bids on the job: The "english" bid was $110,000. The Amish bid was $44,000. The copula was an extra to that number. It wasn't terribly expensive, maybe a few thousand. I believe a 7,000 sqft pole building would cost around $70,000k, so saving the barn was actually cheaper. Besides, zoning wouldn't permit a pole building that large.

/ Our barn restoration project #36  
Yes, the old milk house will be saved. At this time, the rafters are pretty much a total loss, so that'll be a future project. I also have permission from the city to reconstruct the building next to the milk house, but I'm not sure I'm going to. My wife has learned from me to look past what is "now" and focus of what the properties potential is. I think this one might have pushed the boundaries though.

We got two bids on the job: The "english" bid was $110,000. The Amish bid was $44,000. The copula was an extra to that number. It wasn't terribly expensive, maybe a few thousand. I believe a 7,000 sqft pole building would cost around $70,000k, so saving the barn was actually cheaper. Besides, zoning wouldn't permit a pole building that large.

That's not bad really. One fancy crew cab 4x4 pickup truck. :laughing:

Some folks use the McDonald's economic measure (cost of a Big Mac in various places or against income). I use the new pickup truck comparison, and that barn is worth a lot more than a new pickup truck.

/ Our barn restoration project #37  
70k is the low side of what I was expecting. I would say you did very well.

/ Our barn restoration project #38  
I
d say you got one heck of a good deal with great views on top of the process/satisfaction of saving that grand place!!!

Love the new and old dates laid out on the place too! One of the local barns I go by has old slate roof, looks perfect & has date of 1886 with a decorative oval surround on it. about 10 years ago they added a steel lean too off one side, not as nice looking but the place is in great shape. It is working dairy on top of it so lots of cows have been in/out of that place for sure.

Mark

/ Our barn restoration project #39  
Outstanding work.Thanks for the Video.

/ Our barn restoration project #40  
Fantastic rebuild!! Thanks for sharing! The barn will be there for another 150years:thumbsup: