Out of the frying pan, into the fire?

/ Out of the frying pan, into the fire?
Hey guy's,
Thanks for all the reply's.
I just talked to my Terex dealer and he said that hopefully, if everything goes right that I might get my machine back next Friday. Tuesday will be 3 weeks that they've had it. The plastic hydraulic tank is leaking again, which may mean that they'll have to pull the engine again.
I didn't buy my machine from my local dealer :(, he's brand new. He's been working hard to take care of me, but he's about as tired of me as I am of Terex. Mine is the first PT-100G that he's seen up close, so they don't have a demo unit to let me use, and Terex dosen't seem to interested in providing one.
The job I'm on is a selective cut thinning project. The tree spacing is really tight. There was a Lamtrac 6125 on it last fall, but it was really hard for him to get around without scaring up a lot of trees. This is definately a job for a skidsteer sized machine, but I now believe that a skidsteer wont hold up to this kind of work, and no matter what you do to beef up a skidsteer..........it's still just a skidsteer.

I flew out yesterday to look at a FTX 90 and wound up buying it. It should be getting here in a day or two. It's always a gamble when you buy a used piece of equipment, but I just couldn't sit around and hope Terex got my machine fixed before they reposessed it.
There is nowhere around here that will rent a machine and head or that would have been my 1st choice.

I'm not fooling myself by expecting more out of the FTX 90 than the PT-100.
I figure if the 90 does more than the PT-100 it's because it held together longer. I'm just at the point now that I believe it's going to take 2 machines to get me caught up, and let me finish this job on schedule.

When I'm done with this project..............dose anyone want to buy a "good" used Terex? :laughing:

Andy

Well, if anyone cares, here's a little update on my PT-100G, and my FTX-90.

I haven't heard anything from Terex since the first of July (except for the letter they sent me, informing me they would be drafting my bank acount for their payment. :laughing:). I am not getting any satisfaction, or customer service from them it seems.

On the other hand. It's a little early to start bragging on the FTX-90, but so far, so good. Everything works and I'm covering some ground.

So I figure that if someone is looking for an excuse not to work.................A PT-100 could be a good machine for them.

Andy

/ Out of the frying pan, into the fire? #13  
What a bummer. I hope your machine is still under warranty so at least you're not paying for all these problems. Not sure how this works with machinery but have you talked to Terex seriously about them selling you a lemon? I don't know much about Terex but it's a big company and they should stand behind the machine. You might have to scream real loud and perhaps do your screaming to someone high up. Do they think you are abusing the machine?

/ Out of the frying pan, into the fire? #14  
Andy,there is a guy from ASV who has put his contact details in the Construction Equipment pages of this forum (ASV Undercarage design 4500/--- ) Hope he can help and good luck.

What a bummer. I hope your machine is still under warranty so at least you're not paying for all these problems. Not sure how this works with machinery but have you talked to Terex seriously about them selling you a lemon? I don't know much about Terex but it's a big company and they should stand behind the machine. You might have to scream real loud and perhaps do your screaming to someone high up. Do they think you are abusing the machine?

It's still under warranty, but the down time was costing me more than the repairs would have. The last time I took it in for repairs they had it long enough that I found the parts, had them shipped to me, and totally rebuilt the hydraulic system in my 38 year old log skidder in the field. This time they've had it longer.
I've screamed so loud that I'm horse. But I guess I'm not screaming high enough up the ladder. I think the dealer that's doing the work is upset with me because I screamed to someone else, who went over his head, when he told me that Terex wouldn't pay for shipping on any parts needed, and that I'd have to haul the PT-100 another 300 miles to have the engine worked on, when I just hauled it 80 miles in the opposite direction. :mad:
As far as whether they think I'm abusing the machine or not, I really couldn't tell you. But the man that sold it to me said that he knows the terrain and conditions in my little corner of the world and told me that the PT-100 was not only up to the task, but would excell at it. So far I haven't seen it happen.
I may be thinking wrong in this modern world of buisness but I bought the PT-100 so I wouldn't have as much down time as I did with my 2000 model 4810. As of now I've had more down time with the new PT-100G. I don't think that I should have ever had to entertain the thought of buying a used machine to salvage the job I'm on, but I didn't have a choice.
The dealer that has it now said that Terex is going to "fix" all of my concernes with this machine. Well, I don't know how they are going to fix my concerne of thinking this machine is not capable of doing my job, and just not being able to trust it. I wish they'd just buy it back.

Ok, rant over. :laughing:

Andy

/ Out of the frying pan, into the fire? #16  
Hi. i'm new here.

i have been following this post.
I put this on another post you started on a different site.

As i too have a 2011 Terex PT100G Forestry.
Any up date on yours Redprospector?
Have you had any other problems?
I have not had any problem with mine but i have only put 30hrs. on mine.
I did get a call from the dealership service guy about a recall on the tail pipe needs to be moved.
He will let me know when i can bring it in for the recall when he has all the parts to do the job.
They will come pick up and bring back for free.
I live in NW Florida but my wife and i have some land in Cloudcroft NM off Sunspot hwy. butts the National Forest.
I got this machine so i can clear my land and clear snow .
'cause when we ask around on getting my property cleared no one would give us a price or said they would and never call back.
Red if you can e mail me . would like to see if you want to clear my property so i don't have to drag mine from Florida to NM.

thanks

I haven't got any satisfaction from Terex yet, but I'm still working on it.
My machine is still sitting at the dealer's, I'm refusing to pick it up until I get something worked out.
Get that exhaust moved as soon as possible. A lot of debris gathers in the bottom where the exhaust originally runs, it's a pretty big fire hazard in my book.
How far out Sunspot Hwy is your place? Aspen Meadows?

Andy

/ Out of the frying pan, into the fire? #18  
Red

On Section 13 across the street from the tubing slide place.

the exhaust,
where did they put it on yours?
How bad did they cut it all up?

Oliver

Ok, I know about where your place is.

They stuck the exhaust straight up through the screen on top of the hood. It dosen't go through the forestry guard (which is a mistake I think). It's not cut up bad at all, you just have two useless holes in the rear of the machine. Makes it look pretty much like an after thought...........which it evidently is. :laughing:

Andy

Ok, when I started this thread I decided that I was going to post the results I got from Terex if they were good, bad, or indifferent.
Terex finally came through. I picked up a brand new machine today to replace the problem machine that I had.
The bad part is that I only have 53 acres left on this project, and nothing else on the radar right now. So I really don't need it anymore. :(
So if anybody's interested in a brand new PT-100G with forestry package worth the money, let me know. It had 3.2 hours on the meter when I loaded it this afternoon.

Andy