Outboard question: Yamaha vs. Mercury

/ Outboard question: Yamaha vs. Mercury #41  
Chris, I really wish I could afford a pontoon boat, but an 18-21' would be plenty and it would be nice if it were capable of a top speed near 40 mph, although 25-30 is probably about as fast as I'd ever need to go. Of course my sole use for one (for any boat, in fact) would be fishing.

/ Outboard question: Yamaha vs. Mercury #42  
Back to motor talk. Does anyone remember or had the pleasure of owning a Force Outboard. They were a attempt to bring back the Chrysler's in the 80's and 90's. They changed the name to fool the unknowing buyer.

Chris

/ Outboard question: Yamaha vs. Mercury #43  
Back to motor talk. Does anyone remember or had the pleasure of owning a Force Outboard. They were a attempt to bring back the Chrysler's in the 80's and 90's. They changed the name to fool the unknowing buyer.

Chris

Didn't Brunswick buy the assets of Chrysler Marine Div. and bundle them with a Gayline.. er, sorry, Bayliner boat and trailer to sell as package deals?

I had a Chrysler 20 hp outboard on a 12 ft aluminum, back in the early seventies. Very smooth and quiet, never had a problem with it. Moved that 12 footer like stink.

/ Outboard question: Yamaha vs. Mercury #44  
They changed the name to fool the unknowing buyer.

Never owned one, but I think that line about says it all. And I think Heywood is right about Bayliner buying Chrysler marine, then Brunswick bought it and changed the name.

/ Outboard question: Yamaha vs. Mercury #45  
I remember when they came out with the Force name. Unfortunately by then I knew enough to know I didn't want one:(.

/ Outboard question: Yamaha vs. Mercury #46  
I remember when they came out with the Force name. Unfortunately by then I knew enough to know I didn't want one:(.

Yeah, I only saw them at the boat show. Don't remember ever seeing one on the water.
Remember "Gale" (OMC I think) and "Viking" (rebadged Gales and later, Chryslers) sold through Eaton's stores in Canada.

/ Outboard question: Yamaha vs. Mercury #47  
Didn't Brunswick buy the assets of Chrysler Marine Div. and bundle them with a Gayline.. er, sorry, Bayliner boat and trailer to sell as package deals?

I had a Chrysler 20 hp outboard on a 12 ft aluminum, back in the early seventies. Very smooth and quiet, never had a problem with it. Moved that 12 footer like stink.

A friend of mine did have a force on a bayliner in the early 80's an 85 hp.I believe. What a ****.The first time I tried to ski behind it slalom I dang near drount trying to get up.I remember asking him if he pulled the anchor up I only weighed 145lbs. soaking wet back then.He didn't keep it long before selling it.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Outboard question: Yamaha vs. Mercury #48  
A friend of mine did have a force on a bayliner in the early 80's an 85 hp.I believe. What a ****.The first time I tried to ski behind it slalom I dang near drount trying to get up.I remember asking him if he pulled the anchor up I only weighed 145lbs. soaking wet back then.He didn't keep it long before selling it.

Maybe the trailer was still attached to the boat. ;):D

/ Outboard question: Yamaha vs. Mercury #49  
Not sure of the others, but Brunswick owns Mercury and Whaler. Thats why you see only mercs on whalers sold as packages.

80 MPH on a pontoon.... thats just crazy:eek::D

/ Outboard question: Yamaha vs. Mercury #50  
I have Twin Volvo SX Drive with 5.0L GXI engines on a 2800 Wellcraft Mystique and never a single problem.

Chris

Had to pull the exact same boat from storage last month... the bank wanted it back. The guy died from a heart attack and his wife couldnt make the payments... felt sorry for her, she ended up moving to tennessee to live with her sister.

There is a boat that I service here which is a pontoon with twin 150J... jsut cant imagine flying down the lake in a pontoon lol