Outboard question: Yamaha vs. Mercury

/ Outboard question: Yamaha vs. Mercury #61  
Diamondpilot,

Wouldn't you want the water separator before the fuel filter to remove any water prior to hitting the 'gas' filter?

I have a year 2K Merc 200hp saltwater direct injection outboard on a Mako Bayshark ( 22') and it runs great, now that I replaced two of the direct injectors last season. It has about 375 hrs on it. I got it around 300 hours a year ago with the boat. Boat's max rated motor is 225, and I completely agree with those who say to match the hp and weight, (especially when considering 2 stroke vs. carbed or 4 stroke engines.) The right motor of whichever brand and fuel delivery system can make the exact same boat a dog or a rocket. Then there is proper propping, and that is a whole 'nother specialty that can make a huge difference- depending on size of wallet and need for speed or efficiency or blend of each.

Seems the inland and coastal/inland waterways are getting more tight restrictions regarding 'polluting' two strokes than the ocean waters, but I could be wrong. Any thoughts on that issue?
I prefer fuel injection and it seems the way of the regulators will eventually kill the carbed motors and two strokes in the next few years

Last edited:
   / Outboard question: Yamaha vs. Mercury #62  
All the ones I have owend had the filter between the tank and fuel water seperator. I gues the reason is the filter is a inline job on the suction side of the fuel pump. After the FWS it is hard lines to the injector rails.

I know a few people who have had to repower boats due to the water ways they use otlawing 2 stroks so I think its comming for all of us.

Chris

/ Outboard question: Yamaha vs. Mercury #63  
The 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke argument is similar to the old Ag tractor vs. modern CUT argument. Like old Ag tractors that are still productive after 30 or 40 years, there are a great many old 2-strokes that are still plugging along after 30 or 40 seasons. I still see old Evinrude Larks regularly where I fish. They just keep going. And when they quit, they're not hard to fix.

Like the CUTs, the big question about 4-strokes is whether they'll still be useable after 30 years. There's a lot more parts in a 4-stroke and, to rev at high RPM, a lot more metal has to be in motion. 5000 RPM to a 2-stroke is nothing. It can run there all day and do it day after day; there's just not that much going on inside a 2-stroke. Try running your expensive 4-stroke that hard and see if it holds together.

The other aspect that favors the 2-stroke is cost of overhaul. With few moving parts (no valve train) a 2-stroke can be overhauled fairly cheaply by a knowledgeable person. The 4-strokes, OTOH, are so mechanically complex that it may not be cost effective to overhaul them. As expensive as they are, they may well be throw-away engines.

It's true that the old carbureted 2-strokes may be regulated off the water (and, like sheep, we'll stand by quietly while unelected bureaucrats do so). It's also true that the 4 strokes are quieter, cleaner, and easier to start. But the new generation of high-tech injected 2-strokes appear to hold the most promise. If they can iron out the bugs, I think the future of outboards lies with technology like the Evinrude ETec and the Merc Optimax. They combine the mechanical advantages of the 2-stroke with the economy, clean running, and ease of operation of a 4-stroke. From what I hear, the ETec is already well on its way.
Bob