Outdoor Arena Construction

/ Outdoor Arena Construction #1  

NHtoCO

I am new here but I am hoping somebody can help... I am looking to put in a 150 x 250 outdoor riding arena on my property here in northern Colorado. Money is tight so I am trying to keep expenses down and do the arena construction myself and in stages (rip up/level the area and install fencing this year, next year think about bringing in footing, etc.)

What equipment/attachments would be the best to use to rip up the area and level it? The ground is relatively flat already (but will probably have to be graded still) and luckily no trees or anything that I need to worry about. I am still hoping to use the arena temporarily this year and maintain it regularly with a harrow until I can afford the better footing next year.

Any ideas to get me started please? Thanks in advance!

/ Outdoor Arena Construction #2  
I used a box blade to clear a small section of my land. I was prepping for a pad site. I am not familiar with an outdoor arena but it sounds like something you might be able to do with a box blade too. Can you post some pics? What equipment do you all ready own? What size tractor are you going to use? Here is a quote that ustmd dropped on my metal building thread. The photos of the work I was talking about is on page 2 and 3 of the thread. I hope it helps. The people on TBN are extremely helpful. If this idea works - ustmd deserves the credit. If it doesn't work - blame it on me. :)

ITHINKICAN,
...I found the thread on a beginner's guide to using a box blade very helpful:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/122762-beginners-guide-using-box-blade.html
Also, the videos on (Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure) were a big help.
A key, but counter intuitive point with the boxblade is to make the blade cut in, you need to shorten your top link. To smooth with it, you need to lengthen it.
I look forward to the pictures.

/ Outdoor Arena Construction #3  
My wife rides dressage. Our land is mostly sand. I used my tiller numerous times to get rid of the grass. I then had my dozer guy come in with a D5 Cat with duel lasers on the blade to level it with a 1 degree slope for drainage. I drag it with a Red Master II harrow. As money permits we are going to add rubber to firm it up till we get the footing she wants. We bought a set of pylons and rails (PVC) to outline the arena.

There are many books and websites that describe how to prepare a base and materials for proper footing for the different disciplines. It can get real expensive real fast and may not be worth it if you are not having competitions at your place and just need a practice arena.

/ Outdoor Arena Construction #4  
If you flood it in the winter it can double as a skating rink.

/ Outdoor Arena Construction #5  
Riding disciplines vary but the basics are pretty close. IMO, constructing a good arena is more about base prep and proper drainage. Red clay works well for base material. Topcoat is more about dollars available and desire to spend it. If time isn't a motivator, a box blade and FEL will do the job. Strip back the topsoil and backfill with ~ 6 " of red clay adding a slope or crown for drainage. Then add 3-4" of topcoat (sand, mulch, rubber mulch or combination of). Having the arena slightly elevated form the surrounding terrain is not abad thing. Fencing, lighting and sprinklers come next.

/ Outdoor Arena Construction #6  
First I'd rent or buy a laser and measure the grade around the area. You may be surprized at how much dirt you need to move around in an area that looks "relatively flat". Do you already have a tractor? What size is it? If you have a small compact or subcompact and depending your grade measurements you might be better off renting or hiring a dozer to establish the rough grade. Then use the tractor with box blade to help finish it and smooth it out.

/ Outdoor Arena Construction
Thanks for the replies everyone! I should have clarified in my original post. Unfortunately I don't have a tractor or any type of equipment to do this job so I would need to rent it. That's why any information as to what to use to rip up and grade the arena would be helpful!

And, no, unfortunately I don't have any pictures to share of the area where I am planning to build the arena. We are getting buried here in snow today... I do realize that what may look flat may be surprisingly deceiving when we are talking about grading. I am hoping it won't be too bad but having the right equipment on hand to address it will help!

/ Outdoor Arena Construction #8  
Dig around a little for arena footing construction and you should find plenty. Generally, some kind of stone base is recommended with some pitch from the center as suggested. I am posting some photos of a 150x250 that my wife and I had constructed at our last place.

It was scraped out of a hill by building up the lower side. Our contractor had to move a lot of dirt so he had some pretty good sized equipment along with a vibratory roller to compact it. We had a lot of sandstone and clay there which compacted really well and did not get to soft in the winter so we did not put down any stone.

Because the site was very windy at times, we chose to use stone dust rather than sand fearing it would blow away. The stone dust tended to compact to an almost concrete like hardness. I only had a ten foot discer to dress it up with marginal results but we got by.

We also had issues with the dust washing so I put treated 2x6's all the way around securing them to my fence posts.

Later I found out a source of what was called river sand that was dredged from a river not to far away. I would have gone with that material had I known earlier.

After it was all said and done, I had chosen the wrong contractor. The upper side should have been cut down more and more topsoil should have been left to regrade with as you can see by the somewhat barren hill side.

/ Outdoor Arena Construction #9  
like the man says ,depends on what you need in the end.you're snowed under right now so get the best tractor you can afford,watch the local auctions and get any of the above box blade,or cultivator or disks and a drag harrow and get busy.and of coarse a blower or blade for snow.
If your really stuck a box blade will double for leveling the ring and pulling snow around

/ Outdoor Arena Construction #10  
Yes having the right equipment to do the job is key. In our backyard arena (its about 80 x 200 ft), I had to cut down a hillside and build up the low side by a few feet. Having only real small machines at the time (Magnatrac loader/BH and Kubota B1750) I rented a Bobcat. It dug OK, but progress was going too slow, so I rented a small JD 450 dozer and that did a great job and was fun to operate. :) I rented a Bobcat with a rockhound power rake for a couple of days to get all the rocks picked up and get things smoothed out. Then I had 10 triaxles of sand dumped and I pushed it out with the dozer. The Kubota helped with final sand smoothing with the york rake and drag mat.

Attachments

• SANY0275.JPG
    SANY0275.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 350
  • SANY0280.JPG
    SANY0280.JPG
    285.2 KB · Views: 236
  • SANY0286.JPG
    SANY0286.JPG
    297.8 KB · Views: 277
  • SANY0289.JPG
    SANY0289.JPG