Overall length and height needed for shed design

/ Overall length and height needed for shed design #1  

workmytractor

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3520H
I am trying to design a shed to cover up my tractor that is out at my off grid property. Anybody know the length needed to park a 3520 with FEL and Box blade attached? Also anyone have any good ideas for an economical shed that will work? I am planning on squeezing it in an 8' by 16' lean to or something... Just in the idea stage at this point. When I get done I will have a nice set of plans I will be more than happy to share.

/ Overall length and height needed for shed design #2  
When I had my L3130 Kubota(31 HP),with FEL and bush-hog it barely fit in my 24'garage;I wouldn't go any shorter and at least 8ft.wide.Make it at least 9ft.high.Never know you made trade down the road.

/ Overall length and height needed for shed design #3  
I'd say youtube would be a good place to get some ideas, I've heard tarp style sheds won't hold up against much wind. You trying to stop vertical rain only or both sideways rain and snow? need a roof with atleast 3 walls to keep that at a minimum.

/ Overall length and height needed for shed design
When I had my L3130 Kubota(31 HP),with FEL and bush-hog it barely fit in my 24'garage;I wouldn't go any shorter and at least 8ft.wide.Make it at least 9ft.high.Never know you made trade down the road.
I do have a bush hog, but that is not an implement I leave on there much. My box blade stays on pretty much all the time. I am not sure how permanent I want to make the tractor shed either. It is still in the air as to how long I leave it out there. Right now I am just covering it with a tarp when I leave.

/ Overall length and height needed for shed design
tractor-storage-shed-1000-images-about-shed-on-pinterest-tractors-sheds-and-barns-simple.jpg

I may end up doing something simple like this...

or

tractor-storage-shed-tractor-storage-shed-plan-should-be-have-an-idea-minimalist.jpg

/ Overall length and height needed for shed design #6  
I am trying to design a shed to cover up my tractor that is out at my off grid property. Anybody know the length needed to park a 3520 with FEL and Box blade attached? Also anyone have any good ideas for an economical shed that will work? I am planning on squeezing it in an 8' by 16' lean to or something... Just in the idea stage at this point. When I get done I will have a nice set of plans I will be more than happy to share.

The shed attached to my 30x50 shop is 50x15 wide, 3/12 pitch. My 6530C with FEL and 6' Hog, fits in half of the length and plenty of room on both sides to walk around the low side and walk around with a 52" mower parked along side on the upper side.

On height, If you don't like getting your head banged every time you walk into it, put the bottom of your rafters/purlins higher than your cap by maybe a foot or so on the low side allowing room for post sining which can and does happen over time.

Oh, also, you may want to add a gravel or concrete floor later so allow height for you and that too.

/ Overall length and height needed for shed design #7  
Just recognize, if you make it 'only' big enough for your tractor, you will be wishing you'd made it bigger. You will get 'something' that needs to be covered, and you will have your tractor sitting out in the rain again.

/ Overall length and height needed for shed design #8  
I vote for the second shed picture, has 3 walls, can be added on to later if needed or door if wanted.

/ Overall length and height needed for shed design #9  
Here is another vote for the second shed picture. I have a century 2535 which is basically the Branson 3510. You definitely need to pay attention to the height of the shed opening because the ROPS is much higher than you imagine and loves to bang into low hanging openings. :mur:
W. Jones

/ Overall length and height needed for shed design #10  
I just completed a implement shed with covered 'lean to'/overhang on the non-weather side. I have a LOT of implements and wanted to be able to drive in on one end and access implements from either end as needed.

I built 9'high door openings, by 10' wide for possible future tractor upgrade, with 12' wide shed dimension, and same dimension for the lean to portion. The header is at 10' high over the gable ends, with a peaked roof with ridge vent, asphalt shingles, and Red Hardie board smooth finish with white PVC trim and corner boards.

On the far gable end I added a 6 x 6" PT post that extends out over the ground by about 6' in length to use as a point to hoist whatever I might want to lift off the grade. I can drill a hole in the horizontal post and add a chain hoist, or just throw a chain/rope over the post to haul items I might want suspended for inspection/repair/painting as needed. See pics below for view of this add.

The project was NOT cheap, but looks great, and does everything I could possibly want it to. I added a man door for entry on the non-weather side under the overhang, and even with 12' overall corner to corner exterior corner board width there is just enough room to move around inside with the tractor/FEL and backhoe ON! The building is 24' deep, and just fits the tractor/FEL/hoe. I did not plan to store the tractor in the shed, but I can if needed, but it's tight. I have to turn the hoe to one side to get it all in if needed.

Building it a couple of feet longer would have worked, but at more expense, and as my builder said, the 12' wide by 24' long and 10' beam height had some arithmetic advantages for cutting plywood, materials usage without waste, etc.

There is a upstairs loft area, accessible via a hole in the loft floor, and the overhang area provides more loft storage as needed.

I poured a Alaskan slab of concrete and rebar reinforcement, with floor drain for snow shed and water. Ran electric and Cat 5E out to it, and inexpensive Andersen insulated windows. One overhead door has an opener, the other could have at later date.

I sunk down 4' precast post piers, and set pinned 6 x 6" PT posts for the lean to/overhand roof beam to set on. The front gable end has two 5' high x 5 foot wide outswing 'barn' doors for additional access to the loft area.

https://scontent-mia1-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=1c549395dfd21ede5c905cd3fb33d8ab&oe=598D4372

https://scontent-mia1-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=2b4ef0de7efb8f65912b266f7b3cb479&oe=598011EA

https://scontent-mia1-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=32c3c82519664ac01879a2c83bd2804e&oe=5982E6D8

https://scontent-mia1-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=65654ac6829a693068e18d019357fc9a&oe=5982E28A

https://scontent-mia1-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=5d9e3aa6e061e69293d24d66652a9cfc&oe=599181C7

Above are pics of the nearly completed shed. It really rocks. Part of the added costs was I set it in a location where I needed to bring in a LOT of fill to get the land up to grade. Had I set it elsewhere it would have cost me much less in excavation and site prep costs. But this is where it works best in conjunction with other buildings I have on premises.

To the OP, I know you likely aren't thinking of a shed on this scale, just for storage of your tractor and BB. But, what I and others here have mentioned is to think bigger than you may think you will need, because bigger IS better in almost all instances for storage of things like tractors.

Think maneuverability too, you don't want to be so tight on the sides that you bang the tractor into things like the side of your shed going in/out, etc.

Good luck. Post back results, questions, etc.:thumbsup:

Last edited: