overtorqued wheel bolts: what to do

/ overtorqued wheel bolts: what to do #42  
Egon said:
Did we leave out Hysteresis?:D :D :D

Sort of, but not really germane to expression of the factors without clutter.;)
larry​

/ overtorqued wheel bolts: what to do #43  
SPYDERLK said:
Sort of, but not really germane to expression of the factors without clutter.;)

Hey, no need to bring the Germans into this!:rolleyes:

Seriously, this whole discussion is silly. Tighten the stinking things to the torque range they are DESIGNED FOR and be done with it. All this speculating and pontificating about what's better and what's worse is silly. We're arguing the benefits of which way to do it wrong! DO IT RIGHT and then there's no need to defend over or under doing it.

And for those that say 'all you need is a simple breaker bar or a pipe', well, to heck with that, they're never around when you need one. I've changed tires on my tractor and several of my B-I-L's 60 and 100 hp JD without a breaker bar.......and neither of us has EVER lost a wheel.

Last edited:
   / overtorqued wheel bolts: what to do #44  
I've been buying tires from NTW (now NTB) for several decades. So i can still remember when NTW was eager to invite customers into the work area so they could show off their use of torque wrenches :eek:

I recently was at an NTB to have a flat on a rear tire fixed under warranty. While I was there, I had them check the balance on the front tires. So three tires came off and three tires went back on with only impact wrenches. You guessed it -- they were all "over torqued" when I checked later :(

Astonishingly enough, I did see a torque wrench that day! One of the managers was carrying it into his office to be placed on his desk like an artifact of a bygone era. Apparently it was too precious to used on my wife's high end SUV's alloy wheels, any one of which costs significantly more than several torque wrenches :(

Talon Dancer