Ownership Length

/ Ownership Length #1  

The Gardener

Gold Member
I'm most curious to see if there's a pattern to ownership length among the many of you who have purchased a Kubota tractor.

Questions:

[1] When [you buy] or [did buy] a Kubota tractor, what ownership length did you hope to achieve? 5 years? 10 years? 15 years? 20 years?

[2] If your ownership period was shorter than expected, why did this happen?

---tier 2---

[3] At what point do you think it makes sense to keep the tractor you own and buy a second one?

Trade-in value, at a certain time, may be less useful than keeping an older tractor to supplement your new tractor. I'm thinking that the older tractor can assume a specific task, perhaps a task that is attachment orientated, which then saves you time and/or wear and tear on your new tractor. Tlling and BH work are strenuous efforts on any tractor. Their abuse can be absorbed by an older tractor adding to the long term value of the new tractor.

/ Ownership Length #2  
I bought my first tractor, B6200 gear, for a specific job and planned to resell within about two years. I kept it for 13 years then traded it for a slightly larger more powerful HST B7610. I would really like a cab mostly for snow removal. The problems are: B3030 w/cab is just enough bigger that my trailer would be too small to haul it with some of my attachements.
Cab would make it difficult or impossible to mount the BH, something else I bought for a specific job but still have and would now be reluctant to part with.
Another issue, part of your query too, my existing tractor seems to have lost nearly 1/3 of its original purchase price even though it is only 3 years old with 220 hours. If I kept it that would resolve the BH problem but would be a significant amount of money tied up just for that use. On the other hand it is in like new condition so if I trade or sell it the cost of use per hour would be quite high.
I am considering purchase of heated clothing as used by motorcyclists as an alternative to a cab. Might work.

/ Ownership Length #3  
The Gardener said:
I'm most curious to see if there's a pattern to ownership length among the many of you who have purchased a Kubota tractor................

If you are looking for how long they stay reasonably trouble-free, then the commercial operators can answer that best.

I think there's a significant percentage of non-commercial owners who keep a tractor a number of years and then tend to migrate up in power and features. A guess at average time before the "itch to switch" is 3-6 years.

But I think the real underlying force that makes us homeowners buy tractors has nothing to do with how long it takes them to wear out. I doesn't even depend completely on whether they can do the jobs we cook up for them. We buy them because we we like 'em. And we are fully prepared to make whatever rational-sounding case is needed for trading up or just buying a second one.

Last edited:
   / Ownership Length #4  
I had my BX22 for 4 years before making the decision to move up a size. I liked the BX, but like many didn't really have any idea what could, and couldn't be done easily with any size tractor. I learned a great deal while owning it, and using it, and I expect that experience is pretty common. I didn't switch until it came time to buy more attachments, and then I had to make a choice. I looked at a lot of specs before buying the BX, but really had no way of knowing how those numbers translated into actual capability. If it had been more possible distance wise, it would have been a better plan for me to rent a couple of sizes of tractors before buying one. As it worked out it didn't cost me much to use the BX for 4 years, and I'm glad I bought it.

/ Ownership Length #5  
When I first bought my ranch, I was cash poor... thus bought an old tricycle Case tractor with claw 3ph and no hydraulics or power steering, plus post hole digger, plus blade for $1500. Kept that tractor, which beat me to death, for about 8 years. It was a 6V system, no lights or gauges worked, gasoline.

Then, a relative died and I got a small inheritance.. bought a MF 165 with it and sold the tractor and blade for $1500, kept the Danuser post hole digger. This had one rear hydraulic circuit, two wheels up front and power steering. It was better, but underpowered for what I really needed and insufficient weight on front when any sort of 3ph implement was on the rear. I kept it for about 10 years. Gasoline.

Then, I retired, decided to treat my body some better and got my current system, see below. Sold MF 165, which no longer ran, for $1500. I couldn't be happier. Cab, HST, FEL, AC, HEAT, QUICK ATTACH, PATS, it's all I need. Enough power, lights, weights, hydraulics, diesel.... I can't see needing anything more for the next 20 years.

/ Ownership Length #6  
My Craftsman II 38", 12HP riding mower lasted almost 30 yrs and was still running when I sold it and bought the BX24. Current property is bigger than the Craftsman can do efficiently and smaller than the BX24 is capable of. I have some landscaping, rock walls, etc. to do now so the broad capability is nice to have. I'll likely keep the BX for 10 years or more now that I have it even though it will be overkill for 95% of the things I do around here.

Can't see upgrading unless we move or add a second property that is larger.

/ Ownership Length #7  
When I bought our current place 12 years ago, I dickered with the seller and he threw in a JD 318 lawn tractor and attachments. It was a good machine and lasted 3 years before before it needed some major work. I traded it in on a B2400 to handle the lawn work and pasture work. I only wanted one machine to tend to and it was the best compromise I could come up with, it wasn't too big for the yard work and just big enough for the pasture work ... but it was a compromise. I've had it for almost 8 years and absolutely love that machine. It's done everything I've asked of it without the slightest problem and most of my attachments are sized for it. Last year I got a L4740 with a cab because I was tired of sweating, bugs and dust when working in the pastures at the house and at the farm. I was expecting the work in 95 degree temperatures to be a lot more pleasant with the A/C but it was also a joy to use in the winter with the heater going full blast. So, with these two machines I think I'm pretty much set for the forseeable future and don't see any need to change either. All I need to do now is convince the rest of the family that we need a "big" cab tractor for the farm with a 15' batwing mower and I think I'll die happy.

/ Ownership Length #8  
I had my BX23 3 years before I traded it in for a B3030, I think it left me with about 200 hours or so.

The primary reason that I traded is that I mow several areas of my yard that are so steep that the BX leaked hydraulic fluid from the vent leaving a beautiful pattern of dead spots in my yard. If it wasn't for that I don't think that I would have gone through the effort or the additional $15 K. I am certainly happy that I did, not because the BX couldn't do what I needed but mostly because the B3030 does them quicker and more comfortably. I still use the same attachments. The most notable differences for me is that (1) I can mow much faster, I still only have a 60" deck but I cut 20 minutes off my mowing time (2) the 72" blade is markedly better for snow removal (3) loaded tires means I never need 4 wheel while mowing and rarely even when plowing while my BX23 was in 4 wheel nearly 24/7

/ Ownership Length #9  
I have had my L3830 for 5 years now and want to move uo tp 50 HP or more. I am still undecide wheather to stay with the L or go with an M. Currently undecide about with one, the L5040 or the M 5040. I want the GST and the L I can not get a Kubota cab. I have to get an after market. I am going this morning to look at a Sims hard side on a 3940. Knee injuries rule out an HST.

/ Ownership Length #10  
My first Kubota was a B7300 that I bought a couple of years ago. Owned it for about 9 months until someone wanted it more than me. Bought a B7100 and owned it for about 15 months until a used BX24 followed me home. The B7100 was eay to sell and I'll sell the BX24 in a year after my projects are done. I don't need a tractor long term but each have saved me rental costs and have sold for more than I paid for them.