Oxidation on FEL

/ Oxidation on FEL #21  
Derick,

All rust converters are not created equal. In general the cheap ones ($5/gallon) are close to worthless. The expensive one are close to $30/gallon have a primer with them and leave a clear paint look that turns black from a couple of hours to a couple of weeks. They all use acid for converting the rust and this sometimes takes a toll on the paint used to cover the rust converter. I used it on about a mile of rusted pipe and after three years, most of it is in pretty good shape. The green paint has faded considerably, probably from the acid content. The repaint may last longer. I will get you the brand and number if you like. I wasted some money on the cheap stuff to start with. My dad used it on his stock trailers and pipe fence and came to the same conclussion.

/ Oxidation on FEL #22  
Thanks for the info. Seems like most stuff in life... you get what you pay for. If I could get the name or web address of the stuff you used it would be appreciated. No hurry. I trying to put together a "database" (searchable) of info for future referencing.

Derek

/ Oxidation on FEL #23  
go to gemplers.com and search for rust. If you can get a paper catalog. Very useful and has a lot of agricultural type things that aren't readily available in normal retail outlets. The product is Rust Convertor. They also sell naval jelly in bulk (removes the rust and leaves bare metal but no coating) and Fluid Film, (used to coat a metal part and ****** rust but doesn't do much for existing rust, would be a good coating for long term storage of exposed metal. The fluid film is about the same price as the convertor so I usually use that since I get the coating out of it too. (There are somethings you wouldn't want a coating on like engine parts etc, thats why the differenet products) The convertor has a 9 month shelf life so don't buy the gal thinking you can keep it around for a few years.

/ Oxidation on FEL #24  
gerard,

Thanks. I did get a Gempler's catalog this summer. Never thought of looking in it for the converter. I found it in there catalog along with other neat stuff. I'll order some when I get a list of stuff together from them. Thanks again.

Derek

/ Oxidation on FEL #25  
9/20

(Just caught this thread)

I have started using silicone spray a lot (WD 40 seems a bit environmentally less friendly for heavy outdoor use, read those labels), but not long enough to say it really works to halt rust. I am working on making sure everything has an inside/covered place. Not an easy task to make this convenient.

J