PA160 STH unboxing!

/ PA160 STH unboxing!
Well I wouldn't say we don't mind. In reality it is a PITA! Can't see, and what you do see is 3 or 4 arcs at the same time. Rain running down the back of your neck all day. But, no work in the rain really cuts into the paycheck.;)

What?! I'm supposed to be getting paid for this?!

/ PA160 STH unboxing! #12  
Sure you are! I think average pay now a days is $40.00 and hour plus benefits.

/ PA160 STH unboxing! #13  
Will sure be watching this thread! with envy as green as an Everlast welder:ashamed: Let us know what you think when you run some 7018 on that machine. And later on when you get your argon, bottle.. that's when I am really going to get interested in how well that pedal and HF start works. It should weld the same as mine, but the Pedal is really what I envy the most.

James K0UA

/ PA160 STH unboxing! #15  
The torch switch is not operational on the 140st...It works on the 160sth to start the arc with HF or with lift start. In fact it is required if you are NOT using the pedal. The power won't stay live. The switch has to be pressed to give it power. It has to be pressed first...and you need gas hooked up. When you press it, you will hear a slight buzz in the unit, and possibly see a blue spark inside the unit.

Joshua, make sure you've downloaded your manual. The addition of the amp control on the foot pedal is the very newest feature which I asked for a while back. Glad to see it accomplished. It's part of our effort to keep cost under control but offer more features. The units are entry level so to limit the amps on the panel requires a good bit more circuitry and adds cost. The knob acts as an intermediary rheostat and accomplishes the same thing. It's not high tech, but it works decently well.

/ PA160 STH unboxing!
Thanks, Mark. The dial on the pedal is a real treat. I don't have any TIG experience, but my expectation is that this will make lower-output welding much easier, since it won't require the operator to wiggle the pedal within a relatively narrow range of positions. Since you can see the output on the front of the panel, you should be able to easily set the dial to the max amps you desire and then work by feel from there. I did check the online manual, but I'm not sure it's been updated to reflect the knob yet.

/ PA160 STH unboxing!
One thing that I've realized, that I didn't notice when I was shopping, is that the unit's max output on stick is only 125 amps; the rated 160 amps is only for TIG. This may mean that it will struggle with 1/8" 7018 electrodes in some cases. My Hobart 1/8" 7018 gives an amp range of 90-150; miller's weld calculator says 110-165. With my old welder, I used to run them at 140 amps, its max output, and felt that was just about right for 1/4" to 3/8" material. The welder should be just right for 1/8" 6011, though, which runs at about 75-125 amps (per Miller).

/ PA160 STH unboxing! #18  
Check the specifications on the top of the welder. I don't think that's right. It's limited on 110V for sure, and that's the limit on TIG on 110V.

Edit: Just checked, and it is 160 amps on stick on 220V. Where did you see that?

/ PA160 STH unboxing!
I'll look into it.

EDIT: Discussing via PM--will followup later with conclusions.

EDIT THE SECOND: Issue resolved. Unit outputs full 160A on both stick and TIG. Details to come.

Last edited:
   / PA160 STH unboxing! #20  
Shield Arc said:
I'm interested in how well it runs 6010.:licking:

me too. The 140 that i got won't run 6011. Still want to get a dual voltage inverter that will run 6011 properly.