PACCAR

/ PACCAR #11  
i've driven a number of volvos that had meritor axles and meritor 10 speed transmissions. i didn't like the transmissions very much for a completely idiotic reason: i hate the gearshift knob. the center section had a meritor logo in a plastic cover. after a number of years, the cover would either crack and irritate the palm of your hand or the cover would fall out and be even more uncomfortable to hold. i much prefer the eaton shift knob.

the longevity of both axles and transmissions were as good as eaton; i have no idea of the cost differential.

and that's the first i've heard that cat is making their own class 8 truck.

i wonder what cummins is going to do? i have a lot of miles sitting behind cummins engines.

/ PACCAR #12  
Cummins has just teamed up with Navistar again, now that International has abandoned their enhanced EGR exhaust treatment (after major loss of market share and realizing they couldn't meet EPA targets before using up all their credits). ProStars are just now being built with ISX engines with SCR (urea after treatment), with other models of trucks and engines to follow later this year. International had been using MAN - based diesels for their 13 litre engines and were working with CAT on an enhanced EGR version of their venerable 15 litre engine, before they gave up on that whole idea. Of course, International continues to build all their smaller engines. BTW, the CAT truck is based on a highly modified International Paystar. There's been speculation in the trucking magazines about Navistar being a takeover target for Scania and Volkswagen!
Back to Paccar, I believe the small engines used in their medium duty trucks are really re-badged Cummins.

/ PACCAR
Back to Paccar, I believe the small engines used in their medium duty trucks are really re-badged Cummins.

Cummins head design (well more accurately I suppose their valve covers because that's what you see) are pretty distinctive so the Paccar
I saw looked pretty similar. I'm more used to seeing the Cummins in boat engine rooms, they are extremely popular in boating, have a great reputation,
and battle neck and neck with Volvo and Caterpillar all the way. And usually Cummins wins, unless someone wants the Volvo's integrated propulsion system, a lower tech pod drive.
It's been my experience that Cat owners are very loyal; if they had one boat with a Cat, they wanted their next one with it too.

So I guess we'll see more of Paccar.

I've been drooling over motorhomes, not my time yet, but seems the diesel pushers are all either Cummins or Cat. In the 300-400 hp range, not sure
either engine has an advantage, both seem very premium.

/ PACCAR #14  
I'm aware of Meritor, but don't actually know of anybody that has one. :confused3: But, my KW has a Meritor air dryer on it, if that makes you feel better. :D

IIRC, the only way to get a CAT engine in a new Class 8 truck is to buy the CAT truck. CAT CT660

And just to make things more confusing, the CAT truck is actually designed and built by International ...

/ PACCAR #17  
Not sure but I was thinking that the Paccar engines came from DAF or a DAF subsiderery?

/ PACCAR #18  
This would seem to confirm that paccar engines are technologically linked with daf engines.

/ PACCAR #19  
I think, not sure, the Paccar engine is very close to a cummins.

I always thought the PACCAR 6.7-liter was a rebadged Cummins since they looked almost identical in pictures I've seen.

In this global economy, it's tough to know who is in bed with who so to speak.