PACCAR

/ PACCAR #31  
Wikipeida has an entry that says DAF bought a 19% stake in Tatra (amongst other supply details). Hmm -- now what kind of a mash up with a KW could you end up with the....

A couple of others:

Volvo: Nissan diesel (ND).
Toyota: Hino.

Meritor is a supplier. The truck business is significantly made up of suppliers, much like the auto industry. I bet many of the same suppliers. Isn't Dana-Eaton the same company? And its hard to not use Bosch, Mitsubishi, etc.

/ PACCAR
Wikipeida has an entry that says DAF bought a 19% stake in Tatra (amongst other supply details). Hmm -- now what kind of a mash up with a KW could you end up with the....

Tatra seems well respected; a kind of Czech Oshkosh. They certainly make the same military type vehicles. Seems lots of folk want a piece of their action:

Navistar & Tatra
Tatra T815-7 (T817)Tatra and Navistar Defence introduced at Eurosatory Exposition in Paris, France (Jun 14-18 2010) the results of their strategic alliance since October 2009, the models ATX6 (universal container carrier) and ATX8 (troop carrier)[45] The vehicles appear to be based on Tatra T815-7 (T817) 6×6, 8×8 chassis(see pics here),[46] suspension and cabins while using Navistar engines and other componets.[47] Under the deal Navistar Defence and Tatra A.S. will market the vehicles in North America, which includes sales to the United States military and foreign military sales financed by the United States government. Tatra will source parts and components through Navistar’s global parts and support network for Tatra trucks delivered in markets outside of North America as well as market Navistar-Tatra vehicles around the world in their primary markets.

/ PACCAR #33  
Tatra used to be partially owned by Terex, which tried to introduce these trucks to the US military as ATC (American truck corporation) but they couldnt sell trucks and quit. the Navistar deal, i doubt if ever any trucks with Navistar engines were ever made.
With DAF they have them out to the public, but somehow they arent really pushed by dealers yet. Perhaps they wait for the update of the DAF 85 cab, alike the recently introduced XF105 cab.

/ PACCAR #34  
Back in the 70's, Terex was GM's construction equipment division competing with Cat, Deere, and others. Their equipment was always painted a sickly green similar to Euclid haul trucks of the period.

/ PACCAR #35  
Back in the 70's, Terex was GM's construction equipment division competing with Cat, Deere, and others. Their equipment was always painted a sickly green similar to Euclid haul trucks of the period.

GM owned Euclid from the mid 50's into the late 60's when Euclid was sold to White. GM then formed Terex.

Last edited:
   / PACCAR #36  
Ah that explains the same green color then. I knew White owned Euclid before White went belly up. What's left of Euclid is now owned by Hitachi. Euclid Trucks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The first off-road dump truck I ever saw was a Euclid in the early 60's that was driving on the Valley Highway (now I-25) near the Denver University campus. Yes, the machine was being driven to its next job site instead of being hauled there. It was probably a 25 - 30 ton model at best; but it sure seemed huge at the time. I can remember seeing the engine fan spinning through the exposed side panels. I was probably 5 or 6 at the time.

/ PACCAR #37  
GM owned Euclid from the mid 50's into the late 60's when Euclid was sold to White. GM then formed Terex.

The company i work for, developed an ADT in 1978. It initially had a Detroit engine and Allison transmission, and there were negotiations about a joint venture with Euclid, and 5 of them were trialed in the USA. When Euclid was purchased by Clark in 1984 they quickly developed a Cummins/Clark driveline in order to keep the deal, but shortly a year later Clark merged with Volvo which already had a line of ADTs so the 5 trial models were sent back to Holland. This, together with the general downturn of the construction equipment market in the 80s, led to the bankruptcy of our company.