Painting old corrugated iron fencing.

/ Painting old corrugated iron fencing.
How do you put up sheet metal fences without railings?

They come in pre-framed panels that fit between posts that have a particular channel. Pretty expensive too. About $60 per yard for materials I think. I'm surprised you aren't already familiar with this stuff. Its everywhere over here. In many suburbs its the only stuff you are allowed to use for fencing. Fortunately I'm not building in the suburbs.

Attachments

• Fence_909a.jpg
    Fence_909a.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 6,315
  • A Stratco Cyclonic_Good_Neighbour Fencing.jpg
    A Stratco Cyclonic_Good_Neighbour Fencing.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 2,619
   / Painting old corrugated iron fencing. #13  
In the USA, we have not yet run short of white wood to put up around every house in our subdivisions so it can become a rotting eyesore within 5 years of installation. We are especially fond of also putting in sprinkler systems to pitch water up on the fences daily to wash away stain/sealer and promote that trashy rotting look that's come to identify suburbia in America.;):D

/ Painting old corrugated iron fencing. #14  
The pre-framed panels make it look better. They used to put up metal roofing as fencing around drive-in theaters years ago here before they all went out of business.

Also years ago when gutters were made of galvanized steel, the paint used to stick because it had so much lead in it.

/ Painting old corrugated iron fencing. #15  
In the USA, we have not yet run short of white wood to put up around every house in our subdivisions so it can become a rotting eyesore within 5 years of installation. We are especially fond of also putting in sprinkler systems to pitch water up on the fences daily to wash away stain/sealer and promote that trashy rotting look that's come to identify suburbia in America.;):D

Jinman, isn't that what they call the "rustic" look nowadays?..:D

/ Painting old corrugated iron fencing. #16  
Jinman, isn't that what they call the "rustic" look nowadays?..:D

I'm not sure it's called "rustic" or "HOA bait," but I'm pretty sure it's one or the other.;)

Actually, the metal fences that Alchemysa showed are pretty nice. I really like the ones with the heavy posts and rails. I guess they wouldn't be much more susceptible to wind damage than our wooden fences for the same post and support structure. I'm thinking also that the rust areas might be wire brushed and treated with one of those rust converter/stabilizers so that the progression is stopped. As far as I know, most painted corrugated steel is not galvanized. Our steel buildings are either painted steel or galvalume. Galvanized metal is always designed to be an unpainted surface, so anything you do to make it hold paint is an afterthought. . . I think.

/ Painting old corrugated iron fencing. #17  
Everything here in US is based " use for a while and then throw away consumerism". We use and abuse much of our resources or use them improperly.
I was in France 2 months ago to see my cousin and her husband. I walked in their so called little village or as we call "suburbia" here. Houses were smaller of course but more quality material were used. There were so much permanence in the looks of things rather than our mainly card board "Masonite" siding.

What I really liked was a very simple 3"x3" by however long concrete picket fence posts. It appeared they used a bit of metal wiring to keep it together and made by a simple form. what can be simpler than that? I know some of the houses were over 50 years old and with the original fence, they sure looked solid as a rock. My best Cedar wood post rotted in 7 years and even few of my CCA posts did not do so well.

JC,

/ Painting old corrugated iron fencing. #18  
Like Jim said, around here when we paint over galvanized metal we "etch" it first with vinegar. Wipe it down, let it dry and paint. I've always used latex and have had pretty good luck. I've seen some done and it only lasted a few years as well. About 12 yrs ago I put metal on the outside of a well house i built and painted it with latex. About 30% of it was galvanized and the rest was already finished to a color. So far all it has done is faded. Good luck.

Jay