Pallet forks to move round bales

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #21  
Not to say it will happen to everyone, but there have been more than one person stacking round bales with pallet forks and have the bale fall backwards, causing injuries and damaging the machine. The spear prevents this.
IF, a guy rolls the forks back too far, it can happen, It's called operator error!

I've moved thousands of bales with pallet forks, it hasn't happened even once, not even close.

Don't forget, you can't fix stupid.

SR

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #22  
Not to say it will happen to everyone, but there have been more than one person stacking round bales with pallet forks and have the bale fall backwards, causing injuries and damaging the machine. The spear prevents this.
A bale clamp would help prevent an accident. A fork lift frame with a guard would help prevent an accident. Self leveling systems help prevent an accident when stacking. A bale spear does nothing special with regards to handling hay.

When stacking, pushing a bale off the far side can be disastrous for the help or bystanders too. Moving big stuff with big equipment requires attention and precautions.

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #23  
IF, a guy rolls the forks back too far, it can happen, It's called operator error!

I've moved thousands of bales with pallet forks, it hasn't happened even once, not even close.

Don't forget, you can't fix stupid.

SR
No but I’m still going to install a bale spear bracket to my forks.

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #24  
What prevents bale roll back is a pair of masts.

1702607300488.jpeg

1702607328823.jpeg

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #27  
to be fair about it, what happens when you raise the boom to full height and curl the forks full up?
The bales stay put if speared correctly. If you are foolish enough to raise to full height and curl all the way back on pallet forks, it would depend on the roll back angle.

Who would do that?

I guess we could do goofy “what if…..” scenarios all day?

Last edited:
   / Pallet forks to move round bales #29  
I've bought round bales from feed stores that used forklifts to load them at two different places. It was awkward, but they where able to get a single bale in the back of my pickup truck.

When I first got into feeding round bales instead of small square bales, I tried using my pallet forks. In time I might of gotten better at it, but just driving down my driveway, I had trouble keeping it on there. I might of had better luck if I widened them. I only did it a couple of times before buying a hay spear.

The hay spear is night and day better. It stays on there no matter how fast you go, or how rough the ride is. You have total control over the bale, so you can stack them, put them side by side, or make as long a line as you want. You can unlade a trailer, or get one out of the back of your truck easily. They really are a must have attachment if you have round bales.

This is what I have. I paid a lot less for it ten years ago, but it's probably still priced pretty good. A few years ago I pulled a wood post with it that I thought was set in compacted dirt. The first two where, but the next one was set in concrete. It bent my spear, which ruined it. You have to have straight spears to get them out of the bale. Otherwise, the bale just wants to stick to it and not come out. I ordered a replacement spear from Titan, and it arrived fairly quickly. No issues or complaints.

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #30  
The bales stay put if speared correctly. If you are foolish enough to raise to full height and curl all the way back on pallet forks, it would depend on the roll back angle.

Who would do that?

I guess we could do goofy “what if…..” scenarios all day?
Not a goofy scenario, it has happened more than once. Here is where we started on this