Pallet forks to move round bales

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #31  
Not a goofy scenario, it has happened more than once. Here is where we started on this

Ok, lets clarify:
1. I was talking about a bale spear.
2. Pallet forks cant stack hay when rolled all the way back.

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #32  
Hi guys, We have a small property so we have only baled small rectangles previously and I'm giving rounds a go this year for ease of handling (Kioti RX 7620). I have a set of pallet forks and considering I am only doing this as a trial this year I'm wondering whether I could get away with just using the pallet forks to move and stack the bales. I will have somewhere between 40 and 60 (4' x 5') bales, and will be moving them over some bumpy ground and up a hill to stack in a shed. I plan to get an old 3pl bale spear to carry one bale on the back for ballast, but hoping to get away with using the pallet forks on the front. Does anyone have any recommendations on this?

It is doable but I would not generally recommend it as it is not hard to have a bale fall off of a set of pallet forks if you are not very careful. There are bale forks, but they are different from loader-mounted pallet forks. The differences are that the bale forks are larger tubular pieces of steel that are firmly welded to the frame, and usually at least 5' long, while pallet forks usually are 4' long or less and can move left and right. Pallet forks being able to move left and right on the frame. The bale can fall through if they move outward, and the bale doesn't nestle between the forks and thus can roll off of the forks to the side if the forks are too close together.

A 3 point bale spear or set of bale forks are not very expensive, particularly if you find them used. A loader-mounted bale spear is usually quite a bit more expensive than a 3 point mounted spear or forks. You may just consider getting a 3 point spear or forks and carrying the bales one at a time and forgetting the loader mounted spear until you decide you want to continue handling round bales.

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #33  
Only downside of that being a 3pt spear can load/stack only one layer, not stack and cannot load trucks/trailers (unless there’s a ramp)

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #34  
To the OP if he comes back. Had a customer use a pallet fork to move round bales from field to wagon to barn. Thousands of them over the years. He didn't have hills he had HILLS. Was a pain round baling but got good placing bales. Only lost one out of all the years I baled for him.

For the grapple idea. I originally bought one in the early 2000's for only one reason and that was to feed the cattle on pasture. I got so annoyed taking a bale to them, open and close gates. Have them crowd me while trying to remove strings. Pissed me off. Bought the grapple. Take strings off at barn. Grapple. Lose no hay on way to pasture. Open gate, drop bale, leave, close gate before the cattle even knew I was there. Side benefit was stacking 4 high safely.

1710243648585.png
1710243670775.png

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #36  
Looks like net not strings to me.... :giggle:
Now. When I bought the first grapple had strings. Sold the grapple when I sold the farm the first time. When I started again I knew I needed a grapple for storing bales in the barn. I no longer feed cattle in the pasture.

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #38  
Actually, I have become very proficient at stacking rounds with my pallet forks. With my M's, I can stack 3 high no issue. I'd never attempt that with twine bales but tight net bales, no issue.

/ Pallet forks to move round bales #40  
Actually, I have become very proficient at stacking rounds with my pallet forks. With my M's, I can stack 3 high no issue. I'd never attempt that with twine bales but tight net bales, no issue.

If I get a double bale grapple I will go higher yet. Did 5 high once lifting 3 at a time. Very unnerving when I had it lifted full height and could see it moving. That was the last time. I pushed it off the top when time to get it. Wasn’t even going to attempt with the loader.