Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #1  

CaptFerd

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet SC2400
The Danger of Parking Lithium powered Mowers, Bikes ect in the garage or house. Examples of other smaller devices as well and their dangerous surprises.

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #2  
The "awareness" is more of a scare tactic. Use proper batteries and chargers and they will not catch fire.

I've had lithium batteries parked in my garage for over 18 years now (4 different Prius, 1 Hybrid Civic, 1 Hybrid Lexus). Not to mention the power tools that have lithium. Oh yeah, there are three batteries sitting on my desk I just charged for airsoft rifle.

Difference between what I have and what is catching fire in New York, is mine are UL approved.

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #4  
I do believe the battery fires have a lot to do with the quality of the electronics in the chargers and the controllers in the battery packs themselves.

I know when I recharge my Li-Ion packs for my cordless tools, when the packs are charged, the chargers taper off the applied current to zero. I can leave the packs in the chargers for extended periods with no issues what so ever. I believe the e-bike in the video lacked the proper on board electronics to limit the rapid discharge (and resultant heat). Li-Ion batteries all heat up during rapid, high amperage discharge, but then so do conventional batteries and I'd say the electric lawnmower that went up while on display had faulty electronics that didn't properly monitor battery temp or the unit had a direct short that pulled high discharge amperage from the battery pack.

The inherent issue with Li-Ion batteries that combust is putting the fire out. Ordinary water does nothing except vaporize and create steam and the battery keeps right on burning plus it's giving off deadly fumes.

I've read that BYB, China's largest EV manufacturer is having issues with their EV vehicles catching fire, even parked and not being used. I believe that all goes back to poorly designed electronics that allow their batteries to combust.

I know that Tesla uses liquid cooling for their battery packs and I assume others do as well.

Not something I worry about as I will never own an electric powered vehicle, not even a golf cart.

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage
The "awareness" is more of a scare tactic. Use proper batteries and chargers and they will not catch fire.

I've had lithium batteries parked in my garage for over 18 years now (4 different Prius, 1 Hybrid Civic, 1 Hybrid Lexus). Not to mention the power tools that have lithium. Oh yeah, there are three batteries sitting on my desk I just charged for airsoft rifle.

Difference between what I have and what is catching fire in New York, is mine are UL approved.
Most older people that dont worry about it are thinking that their ole gas powered mower will take them through the change for the rest of their lives so why bother. The others that except and defend it are justifying their mistakes. By acknowledging and being aware of the dangers, my grandchildren and great grandchildren will be watching their grandchildren's burnt homes on the evening news.

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #6  
I still feel the fires are a result of cheap electronics in the batteries or the chargers. Not a worry here however as I will never own an EV or a E-bike.

I think we all know where the E-bikes come from and it ain't American built either.

I find it interesting that BYB (China) care are combusting everywhere and I see that now, Ferry operators will not allow any EV's on their boats.

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #7  
I never really thought about it until a truck burned downstate this spring, and the cause was stated as a cordless power tool left in the hot sun.
Not long after that I went to visit my mother and do some mowing. I took inventory of flammables in my truck and in the bed counted 5 lithium batteries for various purposes, including power tools and a booster pack; 2 cans of gas, 1 mixed, one regular; 5 gallons of diesel, and a 2 gallon pail of 10-10-10. (At least it wasn't urea.) Also my oxy-acetylene outfit.

Most of that is normal payload and doesn't include what is in the cab. I could make one heck of a fire if I ever crashed and burned.

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #8  
I have an e bike and the batteries have been known to catch fires but like 5030 says, it seems to be the lower quality ones.

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #9  
The guy in the video said he paid 5 grand for his. Seems to be a alot to me, but in reality, I know nothing about them. There is a guy that lives down the road somewhere that rides his past every day but not an e-bike. It's a bike with a 2 stroke motor on it. Pretty fast too. Sounds like a mad hornet.

/ Parking Lithium powered Equipment in the house or garage #10  
In 2021, there were around 174,000 highway vehicle fires reported in the United States. This is a slight increase from the previous year, where there were 173,000 highway vehicle fires reported across the country.

The media sez, that’s old had and nobody reports on them anymore. Lithium batteries, hey that’s news and we have to punch it up to “hook” the gullible.