Parking tractor in shed

/ Parking tractor in shed #1  

Mean Jean

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L1801 and Massey 65
I'm planning on buying a shed to house many things including my Kubota L1801 tractor.
I need to know if the flooring will support the weight of my tractor. Weighs in at roughly 1600lbs plus another 400lbs for the loader.
Floor will be 3/4" pressure treated plywood on 12" centers.
Will this floor hold up?

I could always put down a pair of 2x10 "runners" to park on so as to evenly distribute the weight.
Would like the option of parking a vehicle in there should the need arise.

Thanks in advance for the replies gents.

/ Parking tractor in shed #2  
It should be ok when new if all seams are supported. Typically 3/4 treated plywood is not T&G. Even with treated All bets are off if it repeatedly gets exposed to moisture. A better option would be 2"T&G treated center match. Best option would be concrete.

/ Parking tractor in shed
Concrete would certainly be best but I don't plan on going down that road.
16x40 shed is roughly $8000 and that the initial plan.
Won't go that way though if it can't support the tractor.

/ Parking tractor in shed #4  
You didn't say what size lumber is on 12" centers, but I'd say it should be 2x6 at a minimum. I would also suggest doubling the plywood, running the top layer 90 degrees to the lower layer. When I used to build sheds for a summer job, 2x6 floors and double 3/4" T&G plywood were strong enough to hold cars.

Of course, the 2x6 framing needs adequate support from below (4x4 skids and blocks for instance).

You didn't say what size lumber is on 12" centers, but I'd say it should be 2x6 at a minimum. I would also suggest doubling the plywood, running the top layer 90 degrees to the lower layer. When I used to build sheds for a summer job, 2x6 floors and double 3/4" T&G plywood were strong enough to hold cars.

Of course, the 2x6 framing needs adequate support from below (4x4 skids and blocks for instance).

2x6 treated floor joists on 4x4 treated skids.
Double the flooring is a really good idea.
Great to know it can support cars.
Thanks for the feedback.

Does it have to be T&G or will regular sheets be fine?

/ Parking tractor in shed #7  
Does it have to be T&G or will regular sheets be fine?

I would use T&G for sure. We used pressure treated framing with standard 3/4" T&G plywood, and that should be fine (and it's better for any metal objects stored on the floor, since pressure treated plywood would create a corrosion issue for anything it comes in contact with). For a moisture barrier, you can put roofing felt under the first layer of plywood -- just staple it to the joists before the plywood goes down.

/ Parking tractor in shed #8  
What I am going to do this spring is 4x4's laid the length of the shed in the direction the tractor will be parked. Single along the edges of the shed and doubled with a foot of space between them on the track lines. 2x8'''s laid across the 4x4's at right angles with an inch of space between them for snow melt. Two shorter 4x4's on top of the floor front and back for the implements to rest on. My Jeep TJ has been sitting on that same setup and has been for the past three years with no signs of sag. The only mistake with the Jeep garage/shed was not enough spacing between the 2x8's.

/ Parking tractor in shed #9  
In all probability, over time you will find that the plywood will become soft or begin to sag on you between the joists. Depending on how far the joists are spanning, and the size of the joists, this might happen with them too.

If you are committed to spending $8,000 on a shed and not building a barn that would be stronger and last longer for the same money, but without a floor, then I would make sure that when they build or install it, you get solid concrete blocks placed under the joists where the tractor will sit. I would also lay down some 2x6's or 2x8's on the flat over the plywood where your tires will travel across the floor. I would screw those boards into the joists.

But of course, I would spend a lot of time pricing pole barns with gravel floors before I did anything.

Eddie

I chatted with the owner of the local hardware store earlier today.
I inquired about pole barns and he advised against it. He says The extreme cold weather we have here wreaks havoc on the posts forcing them up and out of the ground crom the frost.

His material price on a 16 x 24 garage kit was $3000 taxes in.
I may end up going with the stick building after all