Parking tractor in shed

/ Parking tractor in shed #11  
Whatever you do with plywood make sure it's a good grade plywood. I bought a few sheets of 3/4" PT and 1/2" PT last summer from Lowes and the voids were such that it basically was worthless. The skin layers looked ok w/ few holes but the interior layers had voids the size of a sheet of paper. And these became apparent only after cutting them. Virtually no voids on the edges, but a couple of inches in and NOTHING might be there.

/ Parking tractor in shed #12  
I chatted with the owner of the local hardware store earlier today.
I inquired about pole barns and he advised against it. He says The extreme cold weather we have here wreaks havoc on the posts forcing them up and out of the ground crom the frost.

His material price on a 16 x 24 garage kit was $3000 taxes in.
I may end up going with the stick building after all

Don't know where MB is, but that's the first I've heard of that. If the posts are properly installed and well below the frost line, there should be no problem.. I've had PB's my entire adult life and never had one heave, ever.

/ Parking tractor in shed #13  
I'm guessing Manitoba. I'm also thinking that if I lived there and was looking into building a space to store my tractor and other stuff, I would talk to some builders and neighbors to see what they have done. If a fence post will stay in the ground, then a pole barn will easily.

Eddie

/ Parking tractor in shed #14  
He could have a 13 foot frost line if in Canada so properly installing any post would be critical.

/ Parking tractor in shed #15  
I chatted with the owner of the local hardware store earlier today.
I inquired about pole barns and he advised against it. He says The extreme cold weather we have here wreaks havoc on the posts forcing them up and out of the ground crom the frost.

If you put the footings down below the frost line, it won't be a problem. Pole barns are used in a lot of varied climates, including very cold ones.

/ Parking tractor in shed
Manitoba is correct.
Parts of Winnipeg, MB last winter experienced frost as deep as 8 feet.
It's nutty how cold our winters can be.

Last edited:
I built fences for a summer.
Posts which didn't get minimum 4 feet deep would eventually heave.
It helped to cut the bottom of the post in a 45 degree angle.

The gent I was chatting with said all the commercial buildings were pole barn at one time but he's since upgraded to stick building.

I'm guessing Manitoba. I'm also thinking that if I lived there and was looking into building a space to store my tractor and other stuff, I would talk to some builders and neighbors to see what they have done. If a fence post will stay in the ground, then a pole barn will easily.

Eddie

Great suggestion.
I've been chatting with my neighbors re options.
Seems there's a little bit of every thing around here including pole barns, and stick building.