Photo software

/ Photo software #11  
JimI, Wow man, I didn't know you were into training stuff or especially pilot training stuff. I was an instrument training instructor in my USAF days. Also got a ground school instructor certification way back then. More recently managed a team of 30 courseware authors, instructional technologists, subject matter experts, editors, graphics artists, et al. We produced such wonderful things as computer based training for FA-18 Hornet test pilots testing some new smart ordnance (still trying to blow up San Clemente Island but failing) . We did some Tomahawk stuff too, Penguin, HARM, and on and on. Not all weapons related stuff or classifed. No flight training lately but related stuff like maintenance training for some navy aircraft and some neat stuff for "Hunter" and "Predator" UAV's (unmanned aerial vehicles). I was heavy into promoting www based distance learning as cost effective training delivery medium. However I bought this 1/4 section of gently rolling hills with 10 stocked fishing ponds, pear trees, pecans, wild turkey, deer, etc, and wrote an ecconomic justification for abolishing my job and getting an early retirement. Thought I might want to keep a creative oar in the water by telecommuting but have to finish my mom's new house first (almost ready for move in) and then design and build mine, a bit larger and more complicated task.

Of course this training job is where I got a taste for digital art and photo stuff, mostly Photoshop for me, I hired wizkids to do the fancy stuff and animations. High tech for me was learning enough HTML to put up a decent web site or in trying to use complex mechanical objects like slip joint pliers.

If you don't mind, tell me 'bout your projects. If not of general interest send it private. Small world, mutter mutter...

Patrick

/ Photo software #12  
Yeah, Patrick, I was a Weapons Systems Chief in the Navy and spent a tour developing a 28 week course for a shipboard weapons system. I continued to teach it for three years. That was my introduction to training, and it was the beginning of a career that has spanned almost 20 years specifically in training. I've done factory training for workers building the F-16 and when I got tired of working in a factory, I went to work for SimuFlite Training International near DFW Airport. I designed and built the first prototype multimedia classroom for them and continue as a project manager developing multimedia groundschool delivery. Recently I developed a course related to high altitude flight and launched it on the internet. I purchased 33 acres in North Texas about 9 years ago, and only now am I beginning to build my retirement home. I will probably retire when I get bored with what I am doing now....or maybe not./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I already have one retirement from the US Navy./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif
I noticed that you have an extensive background in training, but I think you would be surprised at how "fast and lose" training is developed in non-military environments./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

JimI

/ Photo software #13  
If you are looking to do neat image editing tricks, I would look at Adobe Photoshop LE, the "light" edition of their high end tool Photoshop. The nicest thing about it is that it can use the "plug ins" which are designed for photoshop. To do simple image management such as cropping, resizing, etc. my favorite is irfanview which is a free product, and can be downloaded from www.irfanview.com. The main reason I like this program better is I find it to be much faster with a smaller memory footprint than any of the others I have tried. Good luck with your digital camera.

rf33
rf33_sig_better.gif
/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Photo software #14  
JimI, T my last gig 5-6 years as training systems development manager, we had a few recent Naval "graduates" on staff as subject matter experts (Chief types with instructor backgrounds). My first Navy training gig was with (I should have asked if you were east coast or west coast Navy) FCTCPAC (Fleet Combat Training Center, Pacific). I designed and help develop and install a courseware authoring system for the Navy enlisted instructors to author L-TRAN lessons. This was DEC Vax 11-785/Pascal language. I gave them features like wysiwyg and developed an intermediate language that the authoring system used as output as well as being able to interpretively execute so they could "run" their lesson without having to schedule time in a mockup, like 0300 Sunday as mockup time was in short supply. Later when DEC Ada became available I redesigned and extended the system while redeveloping in Ada. This was the last of my heavy hands on experience actually writing software. After going back to grad school yet again in Instructional Technology I did the training systems development bit.

Fast and loose or better cheaper faster. There are lots of excuses employed by decision makers who assume themselves to be training experts because they have taken so many classes themselves. They don't seem to grasp the significant differences between being a movie buff, keenly interested in watching movies, and being an actor or director and making movies. It is hard to find anyone who even recognizes ADDIE (Analysis Design Development Implementation Evaluation) much less practices its application in a rigourous structured manner. It is the difference between engineering a training solution versus picking a solution for some reason akin to fliping a coin or wanting to incorporate some "neat" technology whether it is effective or not. I watched several (double digit) millions poured down the drain because someone thought a particular technology was neat and decided it would be used although every professional trainer not on the gravy train thought it a travesty.

You seem a definite cut above one of our typical nemises, now don't take offense, often a definite barrier to our getting in on a training development project would be a Navy chief (active or retired)who had been to IT school and was consultant to or had the ear of a key decision maker. Never is anyone, us included, so dangerous as when we don't know that we don't know.

Getting too negative???

My last involvement with flight training was a failed attempt to get a project started to design and field flt sims for unmanned aerial vehicles. Get this: There are two different kinds of people responsible for flying UAVs from Navy ships (including carriers) They are 1. The fellow who launches the bird and controls it like an RC model would be controlled until it reaches a predetermined altitude and range from own ship. then the guys, inside, command the bird to turn to xxx heading descend to yyy altitude or fly to GPS coord zzz and loook down with FLIR xx degrees to left etc. When the bird returns to within the predetermined range the guy who flew it off, recovers it. Piloting an RC model from a roling pitching scending platform is a challenge. The skill is highly volitile and if you don't get sufficient practice then you might damage or destroy one or more Tomcats or a Hornets when you mess up the landing. That would cost us taxpayers a gazillion bucks. What is it worth to have the pilot not screw up? Plenty! What could be done aboard ship to keep the guy sharp between actual flights? Aha, right you are, I thought you would know the answer to that one. Give him a laptop and a helmet mounted stereo vision/sound telepresence flight sim program. takes up little shipboard space (store it in a small suitcase/briefcase.) Can simulate sufficiently what he should see and hear and interact with. Technology is not any more complicated than Microsoft Flt Sim or a half dozen games on the market but it needs to be modifiable and extensible to accomodate different birds as thay may evolve.
check it out get the contract, become ritch and famous. If you get it, all I want as a finders fee is a root beer float.

Last flt sim annecdote, this post: A couple years ago I went to an air museum in Fayetteville (sp?) Arkansas. Taking the self guided tour, as we rounded the first bend we saw the first exhibit of "ancient obsolete technology" it was the first Link instrument trainer I had been schooled on and used to keep SAC pilots current in instrument procedures way way back in my USAF days, same exact model and variant, probably close in serial number. That was the first time anything had ever made me feel old, even for just a little while. Still it was a hoot! The docent, a retired AF colonel, said they had made enquiry about getting it running but were told that it was not possible. Seems their is a shortage of ANALOG computer people. Too bad I had finally tossed out my personal set of, marked up with colored pencil, prints on the beast or I would have been roped in to fix it. Ahh, shaped card potentiomenters, hysteresis velocity feedback for ac servo motors, gee I feel nearly mystic just thinking of such wonderfully arcane lore. Selsyns, autosyns, differential synchro transmitters..... ooooh!

My (early) retirement was brought about as a result of planning, sort of. After spending over a decades worth of vacations (thinly disguised scouting trips, looking for THE place to retire we bought a quarter section of gently rolling low agricultural value BEAUTIFUL land in South Central Oklalhoma and started to DESIRE being there instead of So Cal. San Diego county is mostly desert but where populated it is POPULATED especially along the coastal strip (a block from our house you could see ocean). San Diego county has more population than the entire state of Oklahoma, so once out of a city (either of them) or a large town, the rural folk have time to be very friendly.

Now for something serious: I have to go crawl under my L4610 and find out why it started making a fair sized puddle of hydraulic fluid under the rt rear axle housing. Less than 70 hrs, a bit premature to start spewing out its life blood, nicht var?

Patrick

/ Photo software #15  
Man O' Man --- take me back! As an ol' F4 instrument/autopilot mech - you hit me right at home. The CADC (Central Air Data Computer) on the F4 was analog - and most of my systems were selsyn,autosyn, and synchro.
Two years ago the wife and I went to the air museum in Wash. D.C. and they had an F4 motor sitting there. I naturally started running off at the mouth telling her how I had to do this n' that and how difficult it was to do such n' such ... after a minute or so she tugged at my sleeve and when I turned around I'd drawn a crowd! There were more than a dozen people standing there listening very quietly and attentively to my "tour"./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif
mike

/ Photo software #16  
mikim, Sure glad this I S the Off Topic & Just For Fun Forum cause I haven't said squat about Photo software for a while. Now then, was this an early model, the real smokey sob that advertised your flt path to everyone in SEA with a slingshot or better? Well, I wish I had been on that tour! My wife and I were the only ones in the air museum when we saw the Link trainer. The retired colonel docent got real excited when he thought I would fix it for them but at the time I had a So Cal address and the commute would be a killer, still a tad far.

I suppose you had all the same kind of tech school stuff I got with pratical t-shooting of simple systems with maybe a couple stator wires swapped or whatever. I forgot what you do to make one of those big synchros run like a motor but they will. Ahh, position servos, velocity servos. Try to explain to a recent EE graduate how a copper cup on a rotating shaft with two coils at right angles to each other will transfer energy from one coil to the other in a rotational velocity dependent manner. You just get a blank look, like, are you sure that happens? Are you sure the cup is copper? Copper isn't magnetic, you know. And on and on. How else would you get velocity feedback with AC excitation?

I may have been in one of the last of the classes of guys to have to go through a full up electronics technician theory and practice course, then actual hands on working on the trainer such that you can fly it, fix it, and engineer modifications to accomodate flight characteristics of aircraft that were not designed in. Hence the shaped card potentiomenters and STUFF. SAC went through a period when they thought yoiu shold be able to do it all, sort of a specialization backlash. I whomped up one mode where even rotor heads (helicopter pilots) were happy to fly it. The trainer was a full-on cockpit mockup of a T-33 jet trainer (2 seat version of a single seat jet fighter complete with sound simulation), familiar to most USAF pilots but was a bit fast on final for chopper jockeys practicing a timed approach. They were used to things happening at a bit more ponderous pace, like 60 kts IAS (I think they probably caught up on their reading while making an instrument approach. Just joking if there are any rotor heads out there! Of course you don't land a jet fighter at 60 kts so I had to finagle a few things including the pneudraulic systems for tactile feedback and on and on.

Nowdays it would be a few changes to the aircraft performance characteristics init file and voila your done. Like a few minutes doing a copy-edit-paste versus my 3-4 weeks of engineering and experimenting/prototyping. Sotfware is fun and I've been paid to do it B U T you don't get to smell hot resin core solder and breathe the attendant lead fumes (now you know part of the cause of my problem).

Patrick

/ Photo software #17  
You could get me really going "Off Topic" on this one, but I'll just say that you have certainly done a lot of things I only wish I could have done (should have done) instead of floating around the oceans of the world on a "greyhound." "Haze grey and underway" was what we used to say. Anyhow, did you ever see a "blue box" trainer. At SimuFlite we have one in our atrium. Here's a picture attached. Enjoy!

JimI

Attachments

• 6-56256-BlueBox.jpg
    6-56256-BlueBox.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 68
   / Photo software #18  
patrickg-
Yes sir, you got it! I'm there all the way--- chanute for tech training 69-70 with et principles and hands on breadboard stuff , SEA @ Udonthani 71-72 - Triple nickel squadron, I was standing on the flightline when Ritchie rtb'd with his 5th mig kill, (shortly after ( days or maybe a week?) DeBellevue - a GIB - got #5 and #6 for himself) Spangdahlem Ger 72-76, and Bergstrom @Austin Tx 81-90 .... I worked 'em all C - D - E and recces & in between there was C141's KC135s C5's (whatta pig) C130 (including the 4 engine fighter gunships) --and even a few B57's. I do indeed miss the sounds and smells of a hot flightline. I work on these boxes now, and they pay me well to do so - but I'll never get one off the ground til the day I retire ... then watch me make one fly! ... From the top of our radar tower!!!/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
mike

/ Photo software #19  
JimI, Yup, It was painted grey and was upstairs at Pietch (pronounced peach) Aviation at Minot International Airport Minot, ND. I helped keep it running for a while with thoughts of trading flying time for trainer maint. B U T the owners kid's used it for a toy and broke it as fast or faster than I could fix it so I found other things to do (bought a Sunbeam Tiger) like motor sports. The one I worked on had the "crawling"stylus that would trace out your ground path and all. An older sgt. stationed at Minot AFB had spent a lot of time with those units and used to give me helpful hints. It was pretty antique even then (Viet Nam Era).

Grey Hound? Battleship?? or grey hound generic large grey thing usually going in the direction the pointy end was aimed? I have only been to sea one time on a combatant, a Gaitor (Smart Ship Initiative) Everything on networked workstations painted grey but Gatesian to the core. Kinda neat for only 3 nights and eating with the skipper. Thanks for sharing the pix a nd putting the post within missle range of the subject.

Patrick

/ Photo software #20  
Mike, I hadn't had a thought of bld P-3 next to the flt line or the chow hall by the flt line in decades till your reply. I was there for 8 months, Oct thru May during the worst winter in that part of IL for 75 years. Was in 48th squadron way out in corner of base, brick two story blds with steam heat (in theory, there were pipes for it but wasn't any steam) I recall many times when there would be snow drifts on the window ledges (on the inside of the room) and on the venitian(sp?) blinds directly above the steam heat radiators. Once or twice it got cold enough to have snow on the radiator itself. Nostalgia takes the sharp edges off experiences but I don't miss the three mile hike to school in the dark both ways wearing GI ski masks to avoid frostbite. It was good to finish school and be posted to a new base. In my case, Minot, ND. Of all the major commands in the USAF, SAC had the lowest retention, 810th Strategic Aerospace Div (3 bases in the frozen north) had lowest retention in SAC. Minot AFB had lowest retention in the DIV. I had friends that transfered in from Elmendorf AFB, Alaska who wanted to go back the first North Dakota winter. We used to do arctic testing at Minot.

KC-135 The B-52 guys used to say the only thing the KC-135 was good for was to pass gass (mid-air refueling). I had 3 pilots that I used to exercise in instrument trainer a couple hours every quarter. Flight status but desk jockeys. Didn't want THEIR CHANCE to get away so they volunteered and were selected for Puff the Magic Dragon (Gooneys not 130's) One drove into a semi-load of pipe on the way to his departure. Second got there (in country) but took a chopper trip to meet some FACs, stepped on a mine and died instantly never having flown a mission. Third guy had a private plane at Minot International Airport. Went out at night to take a flight, slipped on the ice and went through the prop. Now this is the good part. Eventually after a long long time one of the controllers got curious about an airplane sitting by a hanger with the engine running. He looked with his glasses, nothing, later went out in the bitter freezing cold just to look. Found the pilot frozen to the ice on the ground. The freezing stopped the flow of blood. Anyway, fast forward 6 weeks. The guy is up and arround and came to see me to keep his scheduled instrument training session. He showed me his scar. The prop cut him from his shoulder to his ankle. Luckily only the tip of the prop sliced him. A couple inches over while falling and it would have cleaved him into two pieces lengthwise.

Patrick