Photo software

/ Photo software #21  
Mike, I'm sorry if my previous post ended sort of abruptly. My electricity went off and my UPS is pretty small so I had to pretty much just sign it and send it with no delay then close all apps and shut down before running out of battery power. If I doddle along and the batt voltage goes too low then the auto sense ckts trip and the power fail software saves open files and shuts everything down. Of course the automatic routines don't sign your name and make appropriate mouse clicks to post a message. Hey but what do you want for $100 bucks.

Patrick

/ Photo software #22  
Mike, I got a complaint! I live about 40-45 air miles from OKC but my NOAA VHF weather radio prefers to listen to Dallas, TX over at least one third of the time. Actually we get just static aout 1/3 of time, OKC 1/3, and Dallas 1/3. Tough to get meaningful warning signals this way. Eventually I'm going to put up a vertically polarized multi element yagi aimed for the preferred station. Hopefully I'll get enough front to back on it to have OKC FM capture my rcvr and shut up Dallas.

Once upon a time a few years ago when NexRad was in development I was running around central OK with a pile of resumes. I went to Tinker, FAA, and like that. I made a cold call on the leader of the NexRad S/W development at Norman, OK. Unfortunately (I'm sure you know how it is with civil servants) I don't think I received much consideration. I think I was overqualified (qualifications beyond the guy I was interviewing with.) Maybe I should have cut out some of the resume stuff and left the masters in software engineering off as a simple oversight. Anyway, it just took a little longer, I'm here now.

Radar huh? I have a ships RaDAR endorsement on my commercial radiotelephone certificate. I did some radar on fishing boats but not very much or very long. The RaDAR equipment I have the most time on is microwave ovens!

Patrick

/ Photo software #23  
Patrick-
Sounds like we had the same experience at chanute - I was there from fall to spring as well and it was cold that year too. I was in the old WW2 wood barracks just a block from the north gate going into town. We hung those wool blankets on the windows to keep the wind out and you could watch them move with the breeze coming in. They shutdown school for 1 week because they couldn't get the classrooms warmed up enough to hold class. I remember the ski masks well. I cut off the little piece that ran under the nose because it rubbed my nose raw. (big ol' schnauze) Whynot Minot - the 2 classes just before mine ALL went there. My class all got to go where we wanted. I went to Norton for 18 months - then Ubon and Udorn.

I was walking back to the barracks at Chanute one day right after Christmas and "found" a case of Coors sitting in the snow. I took it back and shared it with all the guys in my barracks. 2 years later I'm sitting around the hooch in SEA, B.S'n with my room mate about Chanute (he was from Calif) and he was telling me how he went back to Calif for Christmas and brought back 2 cases of Coors. He took one in to share with everybody and set the other in the snow to keep cold and some SOB came along and stole it! IMAGINE THAT!! I rolled!!! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif then took him to buy him all the beer he could drink.

Sounds like someone was sure looking after the fella kissin' the prop!
mike

/ Photo software #24  
Inside info ---
The NOAA Weather Radio Transmitter (NWR) in OKC has been down for a week due to an hvac outage. (I just talked to my counterpart there) The radio techs will have it back up as soon as the AC gets fixed and gets the building cooled down to an operating temp. It normally runs at 1kw --- Dallas also runs at 1kw --- could be something is blocking the signal between you and OKC. You might try the new one at Ardmore 162.525 - don't know what the output is on that one. The radar I was speaking of is indeed the 88D - went in here in Dec 91 - Jan 92 and I got here in Feb 92 - the installation team was just finishing their ops checks. I had been in the NWS for about 2 years at that time.
mike

/ Photo software #25  
Mike,
Not atypical, I responded to your NWS site address first and hadn't read this. Ja, can get Ardmore real good and McAlaster fair. But given NWR operating policy and the SAME feature you need to be able to rcv the sta that covers your SAME area which for now is your county. It isn't that I can't get wx broadcasts, just not a NWR broadcast with automatic alert for my area. Being at ground zero for tornado alley I had thought it would be a good idea, at least for another year or so. After I design/build my new house (steel reinforced concrete, earth sheltered, master suite to exceed FEEMA safe room specs) I won't care very much very often. Can get good stuff out of Norman via web but operating computer during periods of lightning is not a good idea as either the phone or the ac power can zap you.

Have a great weekend on your land,

Patrick

/ Photo software #26  
Derek,

Wondering what software did you end up using?

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Photo software
JM3

I haven't bought anything yet. I haven't done much with my computer in while had some problem with my hard drive, to full. But what I have been using so far is Unlead iphoto express. I also have ArcSoft PhotoStudio for Serif which is a little better than the Unlead but the PhotoStudio locks my computer up at times. But this may be solved when I get a new hard drive. Thanks for the help!

Thanks to all the replies! I looked into the ACDSee program. I like It a lot. I will give the freeware programs a try too. I have heard of Adobe before but never really knew which one to get.

Derek
18-29716-2120.gif

/ Photo software
Pete

That sounds like a good idea. Kind of like try before you buy. My next several weeks are really busy. Got to build a deck, help build an addition onto the camp, try to get to Empire Fram Show, etc. Maybe in late August? I let you know. Thanks for the offer. I'll actually be in Stowe at the Stoweflake for a wedding next weekend and don't have much time that day.

Derek
18-29716-2120.gif

/ Photo software #29  
Bummer, the StoweFlake is only a mile from me! If you look to the WSW from there, you'll see three little forested hills. That's me! If you find the time, drive to the very top of the dirt portion of Luce Hill Road. On the left, surrounded by golden retrievers, is an old farmhouse with a huge stone chimney. That's home. The Wife is having a bit of a stalking problem, so identify yourself and she'll leave the shotgun in the house. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com