Picked up Woods SG100 monster stump grinder today

/ Picked up Woods SG100 monster stump grinder today
Do you know if the Shaver SC 50 is in fact the same as the Woods SG 100?
They sure look the same to me. Here's a parts view from the Woods manual:

woods-sg100.PNG

And from the Shaver website:

shaver-sc50.PNG

The only difference I spot is that the Shaver does not appear to have the depth gauge attachment on the up/down cylinder (the long rod at the top of the diagram) and the Woods also has a larger flap.

The Woods is rated for between 50-100 PTO HP where the Shaver is rated 35-100 as you mentioned. I don't think that will be a problem, you just got a go a little slower across the stump maybe, depending on the type of wood.

The Woods also has a one way restrictor in-line with the horizontal cylinder to restrict the rate of grinding. In theory that should mean that you would have to do less feathering of the valve controlling the sweep across the stump.

/ Picked up Woods SG100 monster stump grinder today
Look what's following me home.
Wow, that looks to be in great shape!

Also, it appears to have the larger flap and the depth gauge from what I can tell.

Congrats! You got a heck of a deal!

/ Picked up Woods SG100 monster stump grinder today #23  
Look what's following me home.

Wow. I'm getting some serious stump grinder envy from you guys. Those look like great machines!

Looking forward to hearing some operation reports on those brutes. :thumbsup:

After another season or two I think my grinding days will be over. I'm at about 1600 stumps now.....and only have another 500 to 600 to go after I open up a new area of my land. A couple hundred pine stumps in a day seems like child's play now.....compared to when I started.

/ Picked up Woods SG100 monster stump grinder today #24  
Wow. I'm getting some serious stump grinder envy from you guys. Those look like great machines!

Looking forward to hearing some operation reports on those brutes. :thumbsup:

After another season or two I think my grinding days will be over. I'm at about 1600 stumps now.....and only have another 500 to 600 to go after I open up a new area of my land. A couple hundred pine stumps in a day seems like child's play now.....compared to when I started.

Ditto on the envy on looking forward to ops reports, and come visit me and coach me so I can get to 100"s of pine stumps per day...

David

/ Picked up Woods SG100 monster stump grinder today #25  
I'm looking forward to trying it out. The wife has me doing some painting for a while but hopefully later this evening I can go through it and give it a test drive. I'll start a new thread for it so I don't derail this one too much, plus that nice shiny green color one makes mine look bad. :)

/ Picked up Woods SG100 monster stump grinder today #27  
AWESOME!
It looks like your tractor runs the stumpgrinder flawlessly. Mine will bog way down if I try to go that fast, it's definitely a great match for the power you have! Thanks for posting that. I have about a 12 minute video of the first time using mine. I'll see if I can post it, I set up the YouTube account a while back but keep forgetting my password.

I'm pretty sure there is a thread somewhere on here about "what's your dream tractor". Well, I should just post a picture of your setup because that right there is my dream tractor!

/ Picked up Woods SG100 monster stump grinder today #28  
Having trouble getting your video to run....but gonna try it again later today. THose grinders you guys have sure look like the real deal. Allthough for my purposes (with softwoods) my little grinder gets it done quite nicely. I do like the way the swing arm is mounted and pivots on your grinder model.....it is a superior set up when compared to the smaller Woods grinder....and it looks like it will hold up better.

Looking forward to that video. Glad your taking the time to do it. :thumbsup:

My computer had a glitch. Cool video. I do like how stable the grinder is as you cut across the stump....moreso than the smaller model.

Last edited:
   / Picked up Woods SG100 monster stump grinder today #29  
I do like how stable the grinder is as you cut across the stump....moreso than the smaller model.

Foggy,

I believe the difference is simple. Weight.

I ground a cedar stump Saturday. Hard as a rock for some reason, LONG DEAD, and my grinder gep lifting the 3 pt hitch off the ground!

I think we either need downforce on the 3pt, or we need MUCH MORE Weight...

David

/ Picked up Woods SG100 monster stump grinder today #30  
Foggy,

I believe the difference is simple. Weight.

I ground a cedar stump Saturday. Hard as a rock for some reason, LONG DEAD, and my grinder gep lifting the 3 pt hitch off the ground!

I think we either need downforce on the 3pt, or we need MUCH MORE Weight...

David

Yep....weight is your friend for stability. At one point I did consider hanging suitcase weights or some bar-bell weights on my grinder. Instead....after looking things over.....I eliminated the float on the 3 point draft arms.....took off my PATS EZ change when operating the grinder......and tightened up my sway bars. Doing things like this can help to minimize the sloppy hitch situation.....and thus keep the grinder solidly on the ground.

Still.....sometimes I think about adding a few suitcase weights. Cant hurt. :thumbsup: