Pics of equipment tied down to trailer

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #11  
I got my numbers all messed up. Its grade 70 chain, not grade 73. Grade 43 chain is also ok but you must go the next size up to get about the same load rating as a grade 70 chain. In other words you could need a 3/8 grade 43 chain to equal the load rating of a 5/16 grade 70 chain.

Sorry for the confusion.

Chris

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #12  
This has been covered 100's of times here, do a search. In a nut shell you need 4 chains minimum. Most like 10' pieces of 5/16" grade 73 chain and 4 load binders. You can get good 5/16" grade 73 at Lowes in 20' length and have them cut it in half then get more hooks there to install.

The way I like to do it is put the chains in a X fashoin. That is hook a chain to the right rear axle then to the left side of the trailer then a binder to snug it up and so on.

As for the loader put a 2" ratchet strap or heavier over it securing it to the trailer along with any other implement to the trailers deck.

Chris
Chris I respect your wisdom but I'd swear I've seen regs that only require 4 tie down points for some equipment (like mine), easily done w/ 2 chains.
That's how I picked it up and that's how the guy that picked it up and delivered it for the BH did it.

For the OP I would recommend your 4 chain plus strap solution.
Definitely secure the BH!

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #13  
9999 lb 6 lug wheels 18 foot wood deck with electric brakes on all four wheels.Truck is a 99 powerstroke 3/4 ton. tractor seems better ballanced backward on trailer.I use the largest ratchet bindres and chain from harbor freight. black plastic storage box from wallmart( UNDER $50 ) stays dry and holds all tie downs.This a very heavy load I am probally at the max weight and the least equipment for the job.

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #14  
Tinman you are right, the way people suggest you secure their equipment really varies. Part of the problem is the regulations vary from state to state as well as commercial vs. non commercial. The best thing to do is check with your state DOT and see what is required in your state.

In my area it is four separate chains and four binders as well as securing buckets and implements separately. Now from what I see on the road it seems the DOT officers are not to concerned with non commercial rigs and a lot of scary tie down systems seem to get by. Me if I happen to have an accident I don't want some insurance adjuster saying you didn't have it secured properly so your out of luck.

MarkV

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer
Any pics of the proper way of tieing down a backhoe, rear implements and front loaders?

Thanks

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #16  
Chris I respect your wisdom but I'd swear I've seen regs that only require 4 tie down points for some equipment (like mine), easily done w/ 2 chains.
That's how I picked it up and that's how the guy that picked it up and delivered it for the BH did it.

For the OP I would recommend your 4 chain plus strap solution.
Definitely secure the BH!

2 chains is the way i tie one down.

That's the way the dealers around here deliver them also.

On my BH i put the pin in it so it won't leak down, and the pin to keep it from swinging side-to-side.

The front bucket is down on the trailer & it can't go any where.

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #17  
You could use a dedicated setup like this. It works great if you haul the same piece on the same trailer. I like it because this setup eliminates dragging chains around all the time.

JUNE 2009 006.jpg

Last edited:
   / Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #19  
This is how I do it: 4 chains and binders on the tractor, 1 chain and binder on each attachment. All chains are G70, binders have 5400 lb. WLL. Chains on tractor are 3/8", on attachments either 3/8" or 5/16". Maybe this is overkill on a 3000 lb. tractor, but I would rather have overkill than kill somebody.

Attachments

• KubotaLWL_06.JPG
    KubotaLWL_06.JPG
    441.7 KB · Views: 1,007
   / Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #20  
I think some of the DOT regualtions if the equipment is under 10,000lbs it only need one chain front and rear, grade 70 anything over needs one chain at each corner. You have to look at the weight of equipment and the chain strength. That being said when I am hauling my Kioti DK40se which is under 10000lbs I still use one chain at each corner.