Pics of equipment tied down to trailer

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #21  
I think some of the DOT regualtions if the equipment is under 10,000lbs it only need one chain front and rear, grade 70 anything over needs one chain at each corner. You have to look at the weight of equipment and the chain strength. That being said when I am hauling my Kioti DK40se which is under 10000lbs I still use one chain at each corner.

Lots of different ways people do it. I have NEVER seen anyone show where G70 chain was required, but rather, a minimum WLL of whatever chain you use is required.

I think to say that one chain in the rear is equal to two tie-downs because it attaches to the trailer twice is a stretch. A tie down to me is independent of the other tie downs and a single chain used as two tie downs means that if the single chain breaks that both tie-downs are broken. That defeats the purpose of two tie-downs.

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #22  
Tinman955, you asked for some pics and have not gotten very many.:( Here are some of my 3215 Mahindra, 5/16" chain on the loader and the Gannon, 3/8" on the tractor. Back chains are crossed left to right and right to left. That just works out well for me. With a machine as light as the 3215, here in Calif. that is over kill, only require the four on the tractor, but as has been said before, we don't want any problems if there ever is an accident, and all of our other equipment is a lot heaver and requires the 6 chains. I think that with a back hoe, the bucket is suppose to be on the trailer deck and secured, as is the loader bucket.

Anyway here are a few pics of my rig.

Attachments

• P4190002.JPG
    P4190002.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 506
  • P4190004.JPG
    P4190004.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 597
  • P4190005.JPG
    P4190005.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 407
   / Pics of equipment tied down to trailer
Brian thanks for the pics thats what I was looking for, some ideas of how to tie down my tractor and implements.

Thanks for all the replys

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #24  
I personally don't strap down the loader. It won't fall off. The brush mower gets pinched under the rear chains and the Box blade just rides there also. They won't fall off the tractor since there are some stout pins holding them on the machine. I never quite understood why people and the rules say they should be strapped down. I don't strap down firewood in the bed eof my truck either, or the tractor seat.

I don't strap down the loader and backhoe for fear of it falling off :rolleyes: but instead so that it does not bounce around when I hit bumps. There are plenty of rough roads around here and with the tractor strapped down and the loader just resting on the deck, it can easily bounce up and down with the bumps which puts unnecessary wear on the seals and such, same for the backhoe even though it has pins for locking it in the upright position I would rather have it resting on the deck and strapped down.

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #25  
I have hauled my B2630 in my 20' enclosed trailer about a 1000 miles. It has never been strapped, chained or blocked. Just parking brake. Mostly interstates, but also some pretty bad back roads. And my machine has NOT moved an inch.

Just some food for thought.

I know, I know. Before somebody jumps on me about it. I don't like it at all. My trailer doesn't have any points, yet that is.

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #26  
"I know, I know. Before somebody jumps on me about it. I don't like it at all. My trailer doesn't have any points, yet that is."

I know what you mean. I used to have to haul large rolls of paper that they stood on end on rubber mats inside a 48' van trailer. I never liked that either.

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #27  
Lots of different ways people do it. I have NEVER seen anyone show where G70 chain was required, but rather, a minimum WLL of whatever chain you use is required. Highbeam you are correct I know of nothing that states has to be grade 70 chain just the WLL for the chain matching the load you are hauling.

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #28  
[Highbeam you are correct I know of nothing that states has to be grade 70 chain just the WLL for the chain matching the load you are hauling.

Where does it say that?

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #29  
2 chains 4 chains, strap down the bucket and implement or not. Just varies from state to state. Why take a risk with your baby?

I agree about the dot not messing with private guys. I tow 3-5 days a week in the summer and have never been pulled over in 15 years. I keep my equipment in top shape and strap it down good so maybe that's part of the reason I do not get stopped.

Not strapping down something just seems silly to me. I have seen 12,000# boats thrown off trailers in a panic stop. I once sent a 8,000# boat forward 2 feet on the trailer after a panic stop that broke off the winch post.

Chris

/ Pics of equipment tied down to trailer #30  
I use a grade 70 3/8 chain and 2 binders threw the tie down point on the front of the tractor and the back hoe and strap the bucket down. Then clamp the extra buckets in the 4n1 bucket.
The pipe I used 1 grade 70 3/8 chain in over the pipe hooked to the winch per regulations @ the pipe manufacture. I did put a 3" strap threw the pipe but the foreman told me that was over kill on the the pipe as all DOT requires is the chain and winch. Not saying I am perfect but I have been inspected and never had any issues and been ridiculed by many friends that I spent to much time tie things down.

I always try to picture it hanging up side down and if I feel it would stay in the same place on its side or upside down I did a good job securing it to a trailer.

Attachments

• img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 353