Pictures of our new deck

/ Pictures of our new deck
Thanks guys for the tips on applying stain. I have a Wagner Paint Crew sprayer that holds 2-gal of stain and I also use the pump-up sprayers with the larger nozzles. For decks and my rough siding, I've found that I can spray on the stain and then wipe with a soft-bristled push broom to spread the stain and work it into the rough grain of the siding. Then I come back with a hand broom or a wallpaper brush like these cheap ones to work the stain into crevices and joints between the siding. My worst problem is that I only have about 20 days per year when the wind is not blowing across my hillside so fast that any spray just goes everwhere. It's definitely a catch-as-catch-can kind of opportunity. Even in the hot summer, by mid-day the wind blows too fast to be doing outdoor spraying. I only get about 1/2 day of good time.

BTW: Yesterday was a no-progress day because of the weather. Today, it's just up to 37 degrees at noon, but the framers are working at a feverish pace to get the deck done. They say that they'll finish by tomorrow noon. I have my fingers crossed.

It was pretty cool all day long yesterday, but we made good progress. The pictures pretty much speak for themselves. Today, they will be adding some bracing for the stairs to stiffen them up, the handrails go up, and we can "stick a fork in it". . .sort of. I have the retainer wall and some other concrete work yet to go. I'm really starting to see the benefit of having someone else do this work. They have experience and they get it done quickly. I think this same contractor may get my retainer wall project too. He's fast, responsive, and his people are reliable and friendly. You can't ask for much more than that. We'll see. . . .

Attachments

• Deck-and-Stairs-01.jpg
    Deck-and-Stairs-01.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Deck-and-Stairs-02.jpg
    Deck-and-Stairs-02.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Deck-and-Stairs-03.jpg
    Deck-and-Stairs-03.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Deck-and-Stairs-04.jpg
    Deck-and-Stairs-04.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Deck-and-Stairs-05.jpg
    Deck-and-Stairs-05.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Deck-and-Stairs-06.jpg
    Deck-and-Stairs-06.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 77
   / Pictures of our new deck #43  
Wow jinman looks great!

I hear you on the wind. I can see you now, standing on your neighbors property spraying away when he comes up and ask you "what you doin jinman?", " Oh" say's jinman " I'm staining my deck!" neighbor replies "yeah shore is windy today"..Got to love the breeze, Iv'e taken my neighbors kiddie pool back so many times I feel like I'm loaning it to them..:D

Finally, I can deliver on the promise of this thread's title. Our deck is 95% done with only a few more balusters to install and a few carriage bolts to add at the joints. I added a footer for my retaining wall to the job, so that's going to be done on Monday or Tuesday of next week. I can't believe that in just one week we have this new deck and the mess is all cleaned up. The contractor did most of the cleanup and we just moved the leftover lumber this morning before taking the pictures. Kathy and I are both thrilled.:D:D:D

Attachments

• DeckDone-03.jpg
    DeckDone-03.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 66
  • DeckDone-02.jpg
    DeckDone-02.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 96
  • DeckDone-01.jpg
    DeckDone-01.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 82
  • DeckDone-06.jpg
    DeckDone-06.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 72
  • DeckDone-07.jpg
    DeckDone-07.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DeckDone-08.jpg
    DeckDone-08.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 83
  • DeckDone-09.jpg
    DeckDone-09.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 71
  • DeckDone-10.jpg
    DeckDone-10.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 71
   / Pictures of our new deck #46  
Congratulations, Jim! It makes the house look completely different! Looks fabulous! Now, how will it stand up to the snow (I don't see any!):D

Thanks Lee and Ian. Here's maybe the second and third best parts of this deck. Even after several more trips to the lumber yard, my cost for materials was just over $4,500. With concrete work and the retainer footer to come on monday, my labor cost is $4,865. This deck was just $9,365. I'd bet the value of my house went up at least twice that amount. Stain for the house and deck plus landscaping next spring should give it a finished look. . . and our kitties love it.:D

/ Pictures of our new deck #48  
Jim, you won't ever have to join one of those fitness clubs. Just running up and down all those steps ought to keep both of you in shape.:D

Jim, you won't ever have to join one of those fitness clubs. Just running up and down all those steps ought to keep both of you in shape.:D

Bird, I told the framers that there are two problems with this deck. First is that I'm getting older and steps are harder. 2nd is that now I have to decorate both decks with lights at Christmas. Maybe I'll just plug in some blowups and put them on the decks.:D

/ Pictures of our new deck #50  
That's a lot of deck Jim! Looks good and makes sense to extend your living space outdoors in your climate.
Dave.