Plasma cutter

/ Plasma cutter #21  
Most common plasma cutters use closer to 7cfm but there is one that only uses 3.2. Normally if you are cutting and run low on air the unit will shut down until it's satisfied again. I have a 60gln and run out of air on a regular basis. Depends on the efficiency of the setup ( torch ). The air dryer is key as well because if your compressor runs solid for 20 minutes it will be spitting water as you cut which degrades consumables in a real hurry. The small units with built in air compressors are handy but I've never met anyone who is happy with them and I sold them for years. Can you imagine the size of the compressor in them? Cut Quick, Cut Short and deal with it I guess.

/ Plasma cutter #22  
It all depends on what/how much you are going to cut.
Me, I am maxing out a 80 gal ingersoll rand, 15.8 cfm@ 90 psi, using a hypertherm 85.
But then again, on a good day, I will cut 40,000" + of 10ga @ 190"/min. Just this one job I am working on will have over 750,000" of cut.

/ Plasma cutter #23  
Me, I am maxing out a 80 gal ingersoll rand, 15.8 cfm@ 90 psi, using a hypertherm 85.
But then again, on a good day, I will cut 40,000" + of 10ga @ 190"/min. Just this one job I am working on will have over 750,000" of cut.

I would be willing to wager that's not the normal use for most farmers and home shop users. :)

/ Plasma cutter
This compressor would be good but I betting it cost over 2 k!.

/ Plasma cutter #26  

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 144
   / Plasma cutter #27  
Curious what is it you are making @ 40000" of 10 ga / day? And how do you manage the dust and grit.

I did enough cutting with my DIY CNC plasma cutter to generate a LOT of dust, sometimes I would run it for five hours constantly,,

DSC_0020640x428.jpg

5/16" and under, I cut with plasma, 3/8" and up, I used oxy/fuel.

My machine was located 5 feet from the roll up door of the shop.
No matter the weather, if the plasma torch was cutting,, the door was up.

Most times, the door was up for the oxy/fuel,, too,,
I had an industrial 42" fan that was directed out the door,
if I was cuttin', the fan was blowin'!!

D7K_09651024x666.jpg

I still have the machine, but, I have not needed it since I moved it.
Some day, I will get it runnin' again!! :thumbsup:

/ Plasma cutter #29  
Curious what is it you are making @ 40000" of 10 ga / day? And how do you manage the dust and grit.
Got a order for over a TTL of items. I do have 10 more months to make all of them. Have 1/4 of them make.
I have a 5'x10' table with a 3400 cfm fan under it.
I have a number of online shops and ship my metal signs worldwide.

jack707, the compressor cost 1K.

On a water table, if the water is close enough to catch all the dust, then it is so close it will short out the torch. Far enough away not to short out the torch, you will only catch app 1/2 the dust.

/ Plasma cutter
Northern tool has the same brand. of compressor for 1499. Must be cheaper to live by you