Plastic cam 425

/ Plastic cam 425 #1  

buckshot721

Silver Member
Tractor
All John Deere 425 x485 2305 4x2 Gator L130
I have a 425 with the serial numbers indicate has the plastic cam gear. Not being the first owner of the machine, I dont know if the cam was replaced or not. The person I got it from had the dealership do all the work on his machines. So my question is, is there any markings JD would would have put on the tractor if the gear was changed? Or is pulling it the only way to find out? The tractor only has about 600 hours on it, but I would rather fix it before it takes the gear out!

/ Plastic cam 425 #2  
Why do you want to fix what isn,t broken ?

/ Plastic cam 425
Because I would not like to have the gear blow out and make more of a problem. And also I would rather do it now instead of mowing season.

/ Plastic cam 425 #4  
Re: Plastic cam 425 a

I have a 425 with the serial numbers indicate has the plastic cam gear. Not being the first owner of the machine, I dont know if the cam was replaced or not. The person I got it from had the dealership do all the work on his machines. So my question is, is there any markings JD would would have put on the tractor if the gear was changed? Or is pulling it the only way to find out? The tractor only has about 600 hours on it, but I would rather fix it before it takes the gear out!

It don't make any difference if you know or not at this point .
You should have gotten the answer to your question before you bought it.
I'd say if it it ain't fixed don't brake it .
My :2cents: .

/ Plastic cam 425 #5  
I can't answer your question about identifying whether your mower has the plastic gear but my Dad had to replace the plastic gear on his 425 this summer. In his case nothing else was hurt when the gear failed.

/ Plastic cam 425 #6  
Why not just ask the dealer that has done all the work on this machine. There should be some records.
Ken

/ Plastic cam 425 #7  
Does JD offer a metal cam gear for the 425 engine? Most cam gears I have seen for the last several years are constructed of plastic. Most wear the engine out. Damage can and will occur if the oil level is not properly maintained and the gear runs "Dry". Dry plastic on metal usually does not last long. Dry metal cam gears also don't last long either.

If the gear does break no damage to the engine will occur. The engine will speed up and not idle so you need to turn it off immediately and not attempt to continue mowing, or limp it back to the garage.

/ Plastic cam 425 #8  
I think most are missing the issue. The plastic cam gear breaking was a material related issue, not lack of oil or wear. The plastic cam gear is press fit on the metal cam shaft, stress cracks from heat/cooling cycles over the years of use on the engine would cause these cracks and eventualy the gear would split appart, rendering the engine dead in the water. These are liquid cooled, pressurized lubricated engines. Once you get the front of the engine off, the replacement is easy and straight forward. The replacement from JD has a metal cam gear. Done several at the dealership I worked for as the owner would get them cheap at auction, we would fix them so he could resell them on the used lot. Other that the dealerships records, we did nothing to mark the engine as having the cam replaced. Although in would show in our computer records and the new owner would be told this. Mike

/ Plastic cam 425 #9  
Bota mike is spot on. Keep using your tractor until the cam goes. It won't hurt anything else. It just won't start anymore. Then replace it when it fails. Mine failed at 998 hours. And the engine is so much quieter with plastic cam too. There is absolutely no reason to change early.

/ Plastic cam 425 #10  
I have a John Deere 285. The Kawasaki engine had a plastic gear on the cam shaft. When the plastic gear broke, It did not cause any damage. I just made sure the plastic debris was cleaned from the interior of the engine