Plastic cam 425

/ Plastic cam 425 #11  
Because I would not like to have the gear blow out and make more of a problem. And also I would rather do it now instead of mowing season.

I'm with you. These Kawasaki engine were known for cam gear failure and thinking back when, there was a recall to replace the gear with a metal one. Knowing if the plastic gear is still in place, I'd prefer to address the issue in the off season. If you're going to do the work yourself, the few hrs spent taking a look is worthwhile in my book.

/ Plastic cam 425
Called the dealer last Friday and had him check the records with the serial numbers. Did not turn up anything. The guy talked with me on the phone for a half hour giving me some pointers on changing the cam. He the invited me down and printed up part of the service manual and a list of parts needed to do the job. I asked the manager about waiting till the gear goes, he said you have a 50/50 chance on it not tearing up the vitals (water pump and oil pump and governor). Plus he showed me a block out of a gator that had to be replaced because of the cam gear breaking. Plus gave me a web site for the parts, which is alot cheaper then the dealer! Can't beat that, so it's going to get done in a couple of weeks, not taking a chance.

/ Plastic cam 425 #13  
Well if you are going to do it you should change out the water pump, oil pump, governor gear, and gaskets and o-rings while in there. Push rods too. Thats what i did. About $500 in parts. It is also recommended to replace the valve seals and springs, but I think you can doo this afterwards since its all within the valve cover.