Plastic vs metal fuel cans

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #11  
Gee - think the military's been using metal jerry cans for oh, what, 100 years?? Think they still do. If it's designed for fuel I wouldn't worry about it but they do cost a lot more. You REALLY want to be safe they make them in stainless steel. Cost about $100 though.

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #12  
In shopping for a new chain saw, I talked to a fellow who sells and repairs saws and other outdoor power equipment. In our conversation about the effects of ethanol on small engines, he indicated that the "ill effects" of ethanol were magnified by storing fuel in plastic containers and suggested that metal containers mitigated the effects. Was he blowing smoke?

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #14  
You gotta remember that the military metal can was reused for maybe....2-3 times ( for the most part)

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #15  
This is an interesting and useful thread, I have about 6 of the old metal "Gerry cans" that are in my old barn on the other side of the farm. I used them for years with no ill effects, however, I much prefer the plastic cans as they are lighter, easier to load and unload from the truck and don't rust! Also, the spouts are cheaper. However, the new and improved &*&% spouts required by the EPA (Exraordinarily parsimonious A**holes) are the most insidious spouts for the plastic cans I have ever used! These things break easily, leak, cost a small fortune, and generally don't work worth a crap! I transport my diesel in a 50 gallon transport tank in the back of my pickup and also the non-ethanol polluted fuel for my plane in the same type of tank. However, the fuel for my lawnmowers, weedeaters, chainsaws, etc. I use the 5 and 6 gallon plastic cans. You have to be careful with these cans as they can generate a static charge in certain situations, particularly when used in conjunction with Mr. Funnel. I tried to order some spouts that were of the old genre, that are now only available on water cans, but have not been able to find them. I have enough of the older plastic cans that it is merely and inconvenience now switching spouts, but as some point I will be forced to accept and utilize the new and disimproved, EPA required spouts. End of rant, I feel better!

Last edited:
   / Plastic vs metal fuel cans #16  
You know what really PO's me about the new plastic cans: The threads are different from the old ones. I had some old plastic cans and the flexible spouts were falling apart so I bought a couple of the "new and improved" EPA compliant spouts. THEY WONT SCREW ON THE OLD CANS. The threads are just slightly different. Is this a conspiracy or what!!!!

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #17  
THEY WONT SCREW ON THE OLD CANS. The threads are just slightly different. Is this a conspiracy or what!!!!

Of course, it's a conspiracy. The intent is that within a few years there will be no cans without valves and anyone who has arthritis or any hand disability will have to hire someone to fill their tanks.

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #18  
I have picked up a bunch of good plastic 5 gallon cans at garage sales-usually 25-50 cents each with the old spout...usually from retirees going into a apartment etc.

I store my old oil and antifreeze in them and they are conveient to take to the recycler because they don't spill.

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #19  
I probably have 8 or 10 plastic 5 gallon fuel cans around in my barns. I no longer use them any. The newest ones are only a couple of years old and still have the stickers that say "Leak proof spout!" on them. Guess why I don't use them...they freaking leak!! :mad: I took them back several times and each one I got leaked fuel all over me.

I broke down and bought 5 brand new jerry can style metal fuel cans with latch on spouts that clip to the top of each can. I've used them quite a bit and I've yet to have a single one leak on me. I have 3 diesel fuel tanks in my barns so I only use 2 for diesel. Why? Nobody else is probably like me where I have to move 10 things to be able to get my tractor, excavator etc. back to the fuel tank, but that seems to be my case quite often. It's easier to just quickly fill 2 of the 5 gallon diesel cans and walk them over to the equipment and put 10 gallons of diesel in them. That usually is enough to do whatever job I'm doing around my place. The other 3 are for gasoline; one is clearly marked "Pre-Mixed 40:1" and the other 2 are just regular gasoline for my gas powered engines. I have no gasoline tanks around.

So, based on 20 years of being leaked on, I'm gonna have to say that I'm sticking with my new metal jerry cans. If the rubber gasket that seals them goes bad, I can replace them and be leak free again. They just seem sturdier and a better design IMHO.

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #20  
Yet another edition of Big Brother!!! I too hate the new SH***Y spouts!