Plastic vs metal fuel cans

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #21  
I've got 2 metal cans that I've using for the past 25 years. Still no rust and no leaks. They are made of Terne metal (steel coated with lead).

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #22  
I have quite a few plastic cans for diesel, kerosene and gasoline. They are fine for diesel and kerosene but I don't like them for gasoline. Why- they all ruin gas quicker than a well sealed metal can, the more volatile components of the gas make their way through the plastic, causing it to go bad quicker. Doesn't happen to kero or diesel.
I know the EPA or CALIF made them reformulate the plastic to slow this but it is not 100% effective.
Sure I'll use a plastic can for quick easy transport or short storage, but for my precious ethanol free gasoline it stays in metal cans;)

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #23  
Gee - think the military's been using metal jerry cans for oh, what, 100 years?? Think they still do. If it's designed for fuel I wouldn't worry about it but they do cost a lot more. You REALLY want to be safe they make them in stainless steel. Cost about $100 though.

Actually, the military stopped using metal somewhere around 94/95. Main reason is the metal couldn't pass the DOT POP test (specifically the drop test) for HAZMAT packaging. Yes, they were terne steel which presented problems when we switched from diesel fuel to JP-8. The JP-8 would dissolve the lead, and of course would play havoc with fuel injection systems. Also, they were easily crushed and were often replaced. We went to a plastic can that meets all requirements and they work well.

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #24  
Where can I find plain, old, nothing fancy nozzles? I can't juggle can full of fuel plus a nozzle that requires 2 hands...sorry, not equipped with extra hands. Just want to pour...

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #25  
Where can I find plain, old, nothing fancy nozzles? I can't juggle can full of fuel plus a nozzle that requires 2 hands...sorry, not equipped with extra hands. Just want to pour...

My local Rural King sells them. It just the nozzle and cleary states for water and oil products only but everyone uses them for gas and diesel anyway.

Also check out my thread about hating gas cans. I modified mine.

Chris

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #26  
This thread seems to be about cans that are probably 5 gallons. I'm wondering about 55 gallon drums. I bought 10 drums about a year ago, 5 metal and 5 blue plastic. I have 3 of the metal ones full of diesel and was going to fill one with gasoline. Is that alright? The blue plastic ones have the big ring that holds the top on. Would they work with gas? I have four of them full of food and paper goods. I never thought about using one for fuel until now.

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #27  
I still have one of my old plastic wedco jugs I use for diesel. The other one I had seems to have 'walked' off... After 20 years its still leak free, and only on its 2nd but non-existent now fill spout.

I still have an OLD eagle 5 gal galvy gas can. Few dents but no leaks. No fill spout available for a long time now.

My plastic blitz is border line sucks for the fill spout on it..... I use my monster sized blitz funnel when using that jug with the fill spout removed from the jug completely for best results :D

Marked accordingly, plain ol' 5 gallon buckets that once housed engine or hydraulic oil and such serve me well.... In conjunction with the monster sized blitz funnel. Actually, I would say they serve me better considering the price:D

If someone would EVER figger' out a GOOD fill spout for the plastic things, I think they would make a better fuel jug.

/ Plastic vs metal fuel cans #28  
This thread seems to be about cans that are probably 5 gallons. I'm wondering about 55 gallon drums. I bought 10 drums about a year ago, 5 metal and 5 blue plastic. I have 3 of the metal ones full of diesel and was going to fill one with gasoline. Is that alright? The blue plastic ones have the big ring that holds the top on. Would they work with gas? I have four of them full of food and paper goods. I never thought about using one for fuel until now.

Check the designation marking on the blue drums....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code

Then look up compatibility for the liquid you want to store in the blue drum... The below stuff may help... Dave

Consumer Storage Rules
If you are a consumer and transporting or storing small quantities of diesel fuel, certain conditions apply. According to the DOT, like petroleum, diesel has to be stored and transported in cans made of any permissible materials. Permissible materials for cans include aluminum, steel, Teflon, fluorinated polyethylene, and fluorinated polypropylene. Certain containers made of appropriate materials are recommended. For example, jerry cans can be used for transporting diesel. These are yellow in color and must be 10 liters to 20 liters in size. The jerry can should also be shaped with a spout. Some substances such as brass, lead, copper, tin, and zinc must be avoided.

Read more: Diesel Fuel Container Regulations | eHow Diesel Fuel Container Regulations | eHow

Plastics Chemical Resistance Chart | Plastics International