Please critique my welds

/ Please critique my welds #11  
Really?! You truly believe that?
Without a doubt.Constant current machines allow you to affect voltage by changing arc length.The only way to change amperage,or current is with the control on the machine which is why they are referred to as constant current.They have a maximum OCV of 80 volts.Constant voltage machines on the other hand only allow voltage changes with the machine control,unless you are talking about minute changes which wouldn't affect the weld.They have a maximum OCV of 50 volts.Increasing the stickout on a constant voltage machine increases the wire speed,and therefore amperage,which has the same affect as decreasing voltage but it is not truly changing the voltage.You probably won't agree with me but that is your right.This is how I was taught many years ago when I took my welding course and apprenticeship.

/ Please critique my welds #12  
I suggest you pull out your Mig machine and give my method a try. ;)

/ Please critique my welds #13  
I have used plenty of wire feeders,both with constant current power sources and constant voltage power sources.I am quite familiar with how stickout affects the puddle on each type.This discussion is going nowhere fast so I will let you have the last say in it :eek:

/ Please critique my welds #14  
I was doing a little reading on the subject. You are correct the voltage is constant, but the amperage changes with different lengths of stick out. So that makes the puddle / weld hotter or colder, to a degree.

/ Please critique my welds #15  
Those are the worst welds I've every seen!!! Only kidding....they look great from my perspective but I admit to being a very poor welder. My motto.....if you can't weld good....weld a lot!!! Good job!:thumbsup:

/ Please critique my welds #16  
Times like this, I kind of wish I had picked MIG instead of stick for my first welder. Those welds look worlds better than the ones I put on my bucket hooks! Not to take anything away from the operator, mind you, but MIG welds tend to look really nice even when they're not so great, because of the shielding gas.

/ Please critique my welds #17  
Teikas Dad in this article by Miller if you scroll down to the second paragraph from the bottom, "Travel Speed And Stickout" it explains how changing the length of stickout has an effect on the weld.

Note where it says, when starting a Mig weld hold a close stickout to ensure a good hot start. This will really help when welding these hooks on! If you can do it, I suggest starting your weld at the heel of the hook, and terminate it at the opening of the hook. When loaded the heel of the hook will be in compression, the opening of the hook will be in tension. Just make sure you fill the craters really good!
Cold starts always worry me with Mig welding!

Miller - Making a Sound MIG Weld

/ Please critique my welds
Thanks Carl. That's good info on the Miller site. I started looking around on it, they actually have a lot of good information there. It's been bookmarked for future reference.

/ Please critique my welds #19  
I have used plenty of wire feeders,both with constant current power sources and constant voltage power sources.I am quite familiar with how stickout affects the puddle on each type.This discussion is going nowhere fast so I will let you have the last say in it :eek:

Stickout does not change wire speed. Wire speed is constant where you set it. It will change the amperage SOMEWHAT within a practical arc length (don't confuse arc length with stick out) but only be cause of the length of the wire. Even though it is designated as a constant voltage machine, stickout will affet voltage somewhat as well, not much but a little. The current rise time or inductance has more to do with stick out and arc length (at any given setting) than anything.

/ Please critique my welds #20  
Great job TD, they look fine to me!