Please help! NH TC55DA clutch slipping?

/ Please help! NH TC55DA clutch slipping? #1  

shouk

Tractor
2004 TC55DA, 1978 Ford 4600
please help. I purchased on friday a NH TC55DA with EHSS. everything on the tractor seems to work fine except when i place the tractor in gear the transmission (hydraulic clutch i assume) is slipping. with the tractor in gear I can hit the brakes stopping the tractor and the engine does not stall, in any gear any range any throttle. tractor is a 2004 with 9XX hours. any ideas. I bought at a dealer and they said that the brake pedal was connected to the clutch electronically and that was supposed to happen, once i got it home i tried to drive up small hill and it wouldn't move. i am going to call the dealer tomorrow but any independent ideas or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
   / Please help! NH TC55DA clutch slipping? #2  
I'm not familiar with that tractor, but definitely call your dealer back and ask them to send someone out to show you how to operate it. Also, you might have done better posting this in the New Holland forum, but maybe someone here who is familiar with that model can help out. Good luck.

/ Please help! NH TC55DA clutch slipping? #3  
No... that is not supposed to happen. If I have mine in gear and use the breaks, I can stall the engine no problem. What model do you have a SSS or EHSS? The SSS has a dry clutch and the EHSS works like a half automatic, with clutch packs and pressure relieve valve. 900hrs should be nothing for these.

Stupid me didn't read that you had EHSS. Is then the same tractor what I have. Well... maybe it is the "inching pedal" or "clutch pedal" adjustment. Maybe the thing is bent or out of adjustment. If not. you may need a new valve. How does the hydraulic fluid look like?

/ Please help! NH TC55DA clutch slipping?
The fluid (dipstick between legs on operators station) is nice and clear and full. I read posts about the inching pedal and looked under it. The cable moves by about 1/4 inch or so and i took the side cover off and saw a small piston that it moves, and the piston seems to move. Also once the pedal is down about 1/4 the total stroke it starts moving the potentiometer on it. It starts moving the potentiometer and the cable at the same time. The inching pedal does seem to function (perhaps not properly) (upgraded from ford 4600 so i am not familiar with NH EHSS) it does at least disengage the engine. When pressing on the brakes with the tractor in gear the engine loads down but does not stall. Then when pressing pedal the engine releases pressure.

/ Please help! NH TC55DA clutch slipping? #5  
On a second thought I think I know what's broken... I think you need a new hydraulic clutch pack. The old one is toast. All symptoms make sense that way.

that seems like a low number of hours for a hydraulic clutch. i was generally under the impression they, on average, got better life. I was hoping that there was a bypass valve stuck like the valve on the inching pedal. new clutch cant be cheap.

/ Please help! NH TC55DA clutch slipping? #7  
I bought at a dealer and they said that the brake pedal was connected to the clutch electronically and that was supposed to happen.

Hopefully the "dealer" that you bought it from was not an authorized New Holland dealer. A dealer selling a competitive brand shouldn't be spouting stuff that he knows little about, but a NH dealer has ready access to correct information if they don't know it off the top of their head. And you have NOT gotten correct information about the brake/clutch relationship.

/ Please help! NH TC55DA clutch slipping? #8  
Well... if the pre owner used that shuttle shift alot and shifted under speed... then no. New clutch pack... sounds like 2g's to me... I can't really tell you, but surely it doesn't sound cheap.

yes NH dealer. i guess we will see. hopefully somebody else has had this sort of issue and can chime in and maybe get lucky with something little. i will see what he says tomorrow. I just want to be more informed so that i can make sure we dont have any miscommunications.

/ Please help! NH TC55DA clutch slipping? #10  
I just checked at Messiks online. The clutchpack is $2063.14. 3 to 5 days to get it.