Plow

/ Plow
Depending on the type of soil if it is too dry it is very hard to plow. It could be adjustments as well, put your tractor on level ground and the plow should contact on the ground evenly from front to back when lowered. Don't try to go too deep around 4-6 inch is the sweet spots.

Attachments

• Plow1.pdf
    698.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Plow2.pdf
    502 KB · Views: 44
  • Plow3.pdf
    590.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Plow4.pdf
    424.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Plow5.pdf
    152.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Plow6.pdf
    575 KB · Views: 43
  • Plow7.pdf
    471.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Plow8.pdf
    138.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Plow9.pdf
    676.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Plow10.pdf
    439.8 KB · Views: 38
   / Plow
Here are pics of my plow. My tires are 14" wide and 12" wide moldboard and also 12" distance between the plow points. Inside of my right tire is about 23" to the center of the tractor. I may need to adjust my coulters so the hub of coulters are over plow point. See pics. Advice always aprreciated. TonyTill

/ Plow #43  
Take a picture of the plow in the dirt next time you attempt to plow.

But hard to say what it looks like sitting on some rough ground, and the left tires not blocked up.

Also, if you have a lower hole for the toplink on the tractor side, use a lower hole

/ Plow #45  
Excellent trick to use that #9 wire to fold trash down into the furrow for good cover. Used it in the 50's often.

Don't think we really know enough about the OP's problem. Model of MF tractor for one. Pics of the problem setup is another.
Could you please explain this further?

I am a rank amatuer with a basic older tractor. And I do not know what you are talking about, but if I could fold trash under I think that that would be a pretty good trick!

/ Plow #46  
Could you please explain this further?

I am a rank amatuer with a basic older tractor. And I do not know what you are talking about, but if I could fold trash under I think that that would be a pretty good trick!
I dont know of any good images to see it in action.

But just tie a 10' piece of #9 wire to each coulter shank. AS it trails in the furrow to be buried....the resistance of the ~7' or so that is in the buried furrow keeps it tight. And the tall trash and stubble are tucked under the furrow by that taught wire instead of balling up in front of the plow.

/ Plow
What model Massey do you have and what brand and size plow(2-12 or 2-14 or2-16)?
I have a 2-12" bottom plow. 14" tires. MF451, 52HP, 2WD. Attached are pics. Inside of right tire to center of tractor is close to 23".

Attachments

• Plow5.pdf
    152.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Plow4.pdf
    424.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Plow3.pdf
    590.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Plow2.pdf
    502 KB · Views: 45
  • Plow 1.jpeg
    Plow 1.jpeg
    904.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Plow6.pdf
    575 KB · Views: 36
  • Plow7.pdf
    471.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Plow8.pdf
    138.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Plow9.pdf
    676.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Plow10.pdf
    439.8 KB · Views: 41
   / Plow
Your right side tires, front and back, have to move freely through the last plow furrow created. If your plow is 12" wide, producing a 12" wide furrow, but your rear tires are 15"+ wide, forget a consistent result.
(I speculate this is your problem.)

If your plow is 14" wide, producing a 14" wide furrow, but your rear tires are 15" wide, the weight of the ballasted right rear tire usually will pack moist furrow soil sufficiently so the plow can operate as designed.

A 16" wide plow will allow the rear tires of any COMPACT tractor, including your MF 451, to move freely through the last furrow created.

INFORM US OF THE WIDTH OF YOUR PLOW AND THE WIDTH OF RIGHT REAR TIRE.

Attachments

• DSC00420.jpg
    DSC00420.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 444
I have 14" tires and 12" plows (2-bottom). Inside right tire is close to 23" to center of tractor. Is there anyway to make this work. The furrows are never really defined when I plow.

/ Plow #49  
A two bottom 12" plow is covering 24 inchs of width when plowing.
The flat side of your dead furrow should be inline with the center of your tractor.
She will be pulling to the right a bit while plowing.
The plow furrows are more defined the slower you plow.
I grew up plowing miserable stony soil, we always plowed in first or second gear with trip plows.
You could see every furrow as you looked down a field and every error showed up like a sore thumb.
That was pulling 4-14's with the Farmall 400, then 4-16's with the IH 560 and then 5-18's with a Ford 8000, that had spring auto resets very nice.
Slower travel speeds resulted in much more work being done easier then trying to go faster and breaking things,
the old slower is faster.

/ Plow
For a 2-WD tractor to pull a 2-Bottom turning plow it is essential that the rear two tires be 3/4 filled with liquid, usually termed tire ballast, for traction.
Are your rear two tires filled with liquid?

It is also quite helpful if the 2-WD tractor is equipped with R1/agricultural tires, which have the protruding bar tread. With liquid ballast in the tires, R1 bar tread will provide optimum traction. Relatively lightly used tires will have sharper tread than old worn tires, gripping the earth better.

You are not trying to plow dry ground, are you?
No, if anything its more on wet side due to all the rain.