Plowing on gravel

/ Plowing on gravel
I have the skid shoes on my loader mounted Meyers ST90 set pretty high right now (I haven't measured, but it's probably 1.5" lower than the blade edge) and I have very little problem with digging in, except where the gravel is exceptionally soft and beside the road, where I have to plow at an angle. In these cases I just angle the cutting edge up a bit more. Our driveway is not even or level at all, but I can still plow in 10th gear except when the snow is extra deep or heavy. We had 10" of heavy snow on Wednesday, I had to drop down to 9th gear for that.

Does your blade have a chain going back to the loader so it floats?

/ Plowing on gravel #12  
have you thought about having a short electric actuator installed on your shoes so you can lift plow more off the ground at anytime you want when you are on gravel so you can build up a snow base easier and stop gouging, but still can drop down at will on blacktop? This would be easier then making bigger skies or adjusting the shoes everytime you go from blacktop to gravel and back.

/ Plowing on gravel
have you thought about having a short electric actuator installed on your shoes so you can lift plow more off the ground at anytime you want when you are on gravel so you can build up a snow base easier and stop gouging, but still can drop down at will on blacktop? This would be easier then making bigger skies or adjusting the shoes everytime you go from blacktop to gravel and back.

I can let the skis all the way down and it still cuts in. I am have to do something different. The blade is 750lbs plus the loader is 1300lbs but no all of that weight is on the blade but it is still alot for a 6.5" round ski shoe.

/ Plowing on gravel #14  
Does your blade have a chain going back to the loader so it floats?

Yes, I built the plow mount myself with the chain float design being an key feature. I'm convinced that chain floating is very important in several different aspects, but most importantly it takes the loader weight off the plow and puts it back on the front wheels. None of my tires are chained, and I have no problem with steering or traction. In fact, on Wednesday I was pushing so much snow that the X-over valve activated a couple times (With the blade angled, the weight of the snow I was pushing exerted so much force on the leading corner that the blade would straighten. This is because the snow was so dense and heavy), yet I had no trouble with steering or front end drift.

/ Plowing on gravel #15  
Until you get a good freeze and base, going slow is the best option. Also having a fixed blade can wreck havoc on any crown you may have had. I used to remove the crown BEFORE the season prior to getting a plow that floats. I knew it was going to happen and at least i had some control where it ended up! LOL!
As you are well aware, there is too much weight to float the FEL and what works the best for me is this:

I raise the plow about a foot and angle the blade to the right. Because my blade rotates around the center the right side will then hang lower. As I lower it the right side skid hits first and as soon as the left side skid hits, I stop. I make sure the bucket indicator is level and plow away. Works great for me!

image.jpg

/ Plowing on gravel #17  
I used to have that problem also. My driveway is just about 1/2 mile long and all gravel. I don't know how to weld, or know anyone who does. I got this pipe from Graingers. It is the same material that cutting boards are made from.

I ran it thru my table saw twice to make a slot, and then POUNDED it on with a sledge hammer.

It works great! Plowed last night and with no damaged to driveway or lawn.Cutting Edge.jpgSnoBota.jpg

/ Plowing on gravel #18  
I took a pair of regular skids and welded skis to them making them about 6" wide and about 12" long with the front angled up just like a ski.

Sounds like a plan! Do you have any pictures that you'd like to share?

/ Plowing on gravel #19  
I'm kinda glad to hear about all of these gravel issues. I thought I was the only one. Having a tractor with a FEL is new to me and this is my first time in the snow with it. I thought I was getting pretty good scooping up firewood, digging stumps, until I tried pushing snow on gravel with the FEL. Fortunately, I did not sell my old grader blade. I have it angled and with the float set pretty light, I'm rolling very little gravel when I head down the road.

/ Plowing on gravel #20  
I plow on just gravel. I either have my skids set to ride a 1/2-3/4" inch below the blade, or I angle the blade forward a good deal. It lets the plow slide over the ground more easily. Also my plow can swivel where it is connected to the bucket. It has a least an inch of travel. The blade is held firm by the springs, but when it hits a rock, the springs flex and it allows the bottom edge of the blade to ride over it.

Today I was plowing on sheer ice without chains. I did fine until the blade got hung up. Then my tires spun. I set the blade at a really forward angle and did ok.