Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Plowing Snow Facing BACKWARDS

/ Plowing Snow Facing BACKWARDS #11  
hazmat - "Wacked my head into the ROPS pretty hard. I managed a direct hit on one of the hinge bolts."

I've noticed that could be problem and have always thought it was a bad design. The TC25/29/33 is even worse with part of the hinge sticking out in front of the ROPS. It's in perfect alignment with my head if I lean back and off to the side. I wonder if anyone from NH ever visits TBN?

/ Plowing Snow Facing BACKWARDS #12  
That's just a built-in attention-getter, to let you know you are going too fast for conditions, and being rough on the equipment. Otherwise, one might keep doing it. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Plowing Snow Facing BACKWARDS
I can turn my neck further to the right than the left from plowing snow backwards for years. I used to do 20 driveways; now, sadly, I only plow my own and miss the extra seat time (but not the cold and wind).

JT

/ Plowing Snow Facing BACKWARDS #14  
I guess I just like using the FEL. Yes I get some spillage but it is just one more trip back over everything and I am done. I keep the bucket tipped some but not much so I can get more snow in the bucket. I have plowed like that in a snow fall of 16". I am 46 and just can't imagine turning my head around especially on a long driveway, and yes I did hit the hinge on the ROPS

/ Plowing Snow Facing BACKWARDS #15  
Pushing a rear blade by driving the tractor in reverse is more effective in removing snow than pulling it going forward. When driving forward, you're driving over the snow which causes it to compress and stick, and the blade won't remove it.
Having to pivot to drive in reverse isn't that big a problem.
Using the FEL to plow snow isn't effective on a surface that is sloped or not flat because the FEL won't float laterally. I find it's best used after pushing the snow into a pile with the rear blade, then FEL'ing the pile to wherever you want.
jim

/ Plowing Snow Facing BACKWARDS #16  
Jim,

<font color=blue>When driving forward, you're driving over the snow which causes it to compress and stick, and the blade won't remove it.</font color=blue>

This is true in some cases but is more a function of the snow and weather than anything. It is -20 to -30 Celsius here over the last week or so. I have driven over the snow with my tractor with no consequence as it is too dry and light to pack at all. My blade, pulled backwards has no problems removing all of the snow I've driven over and I haven't even had to invoke the "cutting edge" of the blade.

Kevin

/ Plowing Snow Facing BACKWARDS #17  
have to agree with u , i use the fel 90% of the time to remove snow, a few extra passes to clean up the spillage. sometimes i do use the rear blade, but only going forward. can't turn my neck that far, damm shame getting old/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Plowing Snow Facing BACKWARDS #18  
<font color=blue>When driving forward, you're driving over the snow which causes it to compress and stick, and the blade won't remove it</font color=blue>

Jim;

My rear blade does an excellecent job of scraping right down to the pavement.

I usually clear the snow when I get home at night, so there's always tire tracks compressed in the snow, My snowblower generally will not scrape that off. I usually use the back blade as I'm snowblowing and it scrapes the tire tracks clean away, as well as any tractor tire tracks.

I think that plowing driving forward may be a little easier on the equipment too, because if you're driving backward, the weight of the blade, snow, and anything obstacles you will, are pushing against the 3 pt arms. I bent one of mine somehow during the summer pushing dirt.

The only "problem" with driving forward with the blade is that you can't pull it to the edge of the driveway unless you're driving off of the driveway. I then just turn around and snowblow that little pile or will push it back with the blade in reverse.

/ Plowing Snow Facing BACKWARDS #19  
I always plow forward w/ rear blade, if plow is
wider than tractor helps but some blades have offset
or adjust sway bars to let blade stick out as far as
possible toward side snow is exiting blade.
I tore up a rear blade pushing backwards and hit
frozen sod beside drive, it dug in and sheared pin
at same time twisted moldboard.

/ Plowing Snow Facing BACKWARDS #20  
JTN, I also plow pushing snow backward. Once your banks build up you can push back large chunks of snow. Prior to the gravel road freezing driving foward with the blade reversed reduces the chance for significant damage(to the road). I attached the Loftness 3pt snowblower too early this year. We have had only three snowfalls where more than 5 inches have accumulated. The blade would have been more efficient, but less fun.