Plowing with an ATV

/ Plowing with an ATV #21  
plowed with a 2012 sportsman 500 for one year and the following spring bought my tractor after trying to pull logs out of the bush with the same atv. Tractors are for work and atvs are for pleasure. The problem I had was the banks and defiantly had to keep up on the snow. I find the tractor with hst is faster in every way, no stopping and shifting, no reverse override button, I like a steering wheel better than bars

there's no way the atv would go through this 2 to 3 foot drift

/ Plowing with an ATV #22  
A few times I used my Foreman 450 to plow through deep snow at high speed, the problem with doing that is if the snow builds up enough to create enough resistance the rear end will slide out blindingly fast and possibly throw you off unless you are paying serious attention.

Attachment shows my 2001 Foreman 450...it has less than 130 miles on it...probably the lowest mileage Foreman 450 in the world!!!

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    798 KB · Views: 230
   / Plowing with an ATV #23  
A few times I used my Foreman 450 to plow through deep snow at high speed, the problem with doing that is if the snow builds up enough to create enough resistance the rear end will slide out blindingly fast and possibly throw you off unless you are paying serious attention.

Attachment shows my 2001 Foreman 450...it has less than 130 miles on it...probably the lowest mileage Foreman 450 in the world!!!

Nice curved plow, JDgreen - what brand is it?

/ Plowing with an ATV #24  
Nice curved plow, JDgreen - what brand is it?

Moose brand County Plow...purchased from Dennis Kirk back in 2001....thanks for the compliment. The top rubber flap came with it but I added a cut off section of horse stall mat from TSC on the bottom.

/ Plowing with an ATV #25  
Moose brand County Plow...purchased from Dennis Kirk back in 2001....thanks for the compliment. The top rubber flap came with it but I added a cut off section of horse stall mat from TSC on the bottom.

Thanks, JD, will check it out. Do you find that the curve does a good job of throwing the snow away from the immediate side of your Quad? (The idea being to reduce the amount of build-up of the snowbanks on the edge of your plowing area.)

/ Plowing with an ATV #26  
Thanks, JD, will check it out. Do you find that the curve does a good job of throwing the snow away from the immediate side of your Quad? (The idea being to reduce the amount of build-up of the snowbanks on the edge of your plowing area.)

Yes..I really like the curve and the plow works great. Not sure if DK is still in business though. I would LOVE to have a rear blade for my Deere shaped like my Moose plow.

/ Plowing with an ATV #27  
I've got a 2014 Sportsman 570 with 60" blade & tracks.

I went from using my jeep (TJ with 6.0 V8, tons, 40X15.5 Krawlers) to this... so I guess my experience level is a little weird. LOL I can only assume that the tracks help alot as I haven't plowed it with tires. Others that watch me plow say it does very well. The nice part is that I can push snow anywhere without fear of getting stuck. I can also ride along the top of a windrow that's built up and wing it farther away from the driveway. I recently did this for a neighbor that was down to just being wide enough for his truck to about 1.5X the width. The snow banks were probably 4' tall.

Having said that we usually don't get more then 6" per snow fall... so it looks like every two or three snowfalls I have to spend some time widening things out.

Looking at a 3/4T truck and blade for next year, but more so because of wanting to do more neighbors houses and the in-laws down the rd... and I'd be getting the truck anyway. :)

/ Plowing with an ATV #28  
BLEEP....what did those track additions cost and how long and complex is the conversion from tires to tracks?

/ Plowing with an ATV #29  
They're not cheap but cheaper than a tractor

/ Plowing with an ATV #30  
I plowed for years with an ATV. As was said, 6" to 8" is about as much as they can handle. I just kept up with the storm. Have an RTV1100 now and still do that to a lesser degree. Now that I have HVAC, not a big deal though.