Plowing with an ATV

/ Plowing with an ATV #41  
Nice driveway.

I think whether a quad is suitable to plow a yard depends on what your annual snow fall is, how often, and how much comes in one snow fall, and whether the snow gets to melt between storms.

I had one snow fall in February that would be over the handle bars of most quads.

/ Plowing with an ATV #42  
Hi chado613!

I haven't read thru all the respones to your post but, I have experience with both and will try and list my pros / cons. Before purchasing my BX25, I plowed with an old Bombardier ATV and then a new Yamaha Grizzly 550 EPS. I no longer own either, as I sold the ATV after getting the BX25 and just traded in my BX25 for a new B2650. That being said the BX25 trade was completely unrelted to it's abiltiy to clear snow.

To frame the work I did with both, my driveway is about 300' long and opens up to a circle at the end....and I also clear some field areas between my house and a shed / barn. Guess what I'm trying to describe is that my snow clearing job isn't small. Also, I live in northern CT and plowed with the ATV thru a very long and brutal winter a few years back.....and plowed all of this long and brutal winter with the BX25 so, I defintiely have equal comparison points. My BX25 was set up with the frame mounted quick hitch / plow vs. the loader mounted plow.

The quick answer: The BX25 is hands down the better tool for snow clearing!!!

BX25 Pro's:- The BX is a tank in comparison to my ATV...I could hardly stop it's travel thru deep uncleared snow!
- The BX plow is fully hydraulic - left, right, up, and down
- The BX gives you the option to mount a front or rear snow blower, if you ever do decide to go down that road
- Hydrostatic transmission - no shifting forward to reverse or reverse to forward
- Back blading is easy and efficient

BX25 Con's:- Honestly these are very minor....
- If you use the frame mounted quick hitch set-up, you can't put your loader on, unless you remove the plow & quick hitch - not that big of deal but a slight pain especially when it's cold outside
- The BX travel speed is much less than the ATV so, don't expect you ca drive fast and "throw" the snow from the plow - again not much a big deal as, you just need to adpat to how you plow with a slower speed
- When the blade is fully angled left or right and you hare pushing a lot of snow, it can tend to loose front tire traction and push the frount around - this is completely eliminated by either raising the plow a little (reducing the load) or changing the plow angle to more straight
- The quick hitch plow set up doesn't let you raise the plow very high off the ground to pile snow - this is the same as the ATV plow set up but, be aware that if you go with the loader mounted plow, you can stack piles of snow 6-8' high
- If you do go with the loader mounted plow, Kubota does not offer hydraulic left and right angle - not a big deal as you can source a hydraulic cylinder from eBay that is plug and play (if you are interested, I acutally have one that is brand new and I will sell to you at a discount...just let me know).

ATV Pro's:
- Honestly the only one I can come up with is that you can plow at a faster speed, which can be helpful sometimes

ATV Con's:
- The plow I had was a Moose plow set-up - the plow is very lighty contrsructed and does not have much weight to it - I also broke a bracket on the frame that I fixed by welding in place
- The plow does not come with hydraulic left / right angle - there is a hydraulic angle kit but, it is ~$800 just for the kit alone
- The plow goes up and down by using your ATV winch, which works but is not nearly as easy to use and efficient than the hydraulic BX25 set-up
- Back blading is horible at best, since the plow does not weigh much and you can't add downforce since there is no hydraulics to do so
- I can almost gararuntee you will wind up birds nesting the cable on your ATV winch - I have so many stories about doing this on my ATV and have tried every known set up to aleviate the issue (changing from wire rope to synthetic rope was the only thing that helped but did not eliminate the issue.......you also have to really calibrate your thumb to not let too much rope out when the plow hits the deck)
- ATV is not nearly the same weight as your BX25 - this is the main reason why I stated that my BX was like a tank in comparison to the ATV
- Even if your ATV is automatic, you will still need to manually shift between forward and reverse - I can tell you this becomes a royal pain in the arss (even though you might not think so at first)
- If too much snow accumulates behind the plow blade, after pushing into at bank, you won't have enough weight / torque / traction to pull yourself out - I've had to dig my ATV out countless times and have never had to do the same with the BX25

If I sit here and keep thinking, I will likely come up with more resons why the BX25 is your better option but, I think you get my point.

Please do let me know if you have any questions about either option, regardless of your final decision. I am more than happy to tranfer any knowledge I have!!!!

Last edited:
   / Plowing with an ATV #43  
I see most comparing plowing with an ATV to a subCUT or CUT, hands down there is no way an ATV can compare, it would be like comparing a subCUT or CUT to a 150hp 4wd farm tractor. How about something apples to apples like comparing the ATV to a GT? Would the GT win out with its limited weight and traction but better maneuverability or would the 4wd and speed of the ATV be a better choice?

/ Plowing with an ATV #44  
I am also finding that once the snow has gotten so deep that my ATV is useless for plowing as it cant push the snow over the large banks anymore?

Thanks in advance from a rookie

Yup - you're a rookie alright. To answer your question about how to push once you've built up berms...you can't. You have to push the snow WAY back during the first storm so there is room to stack it up all the rest that falls, or you're screwed for the rest of the winter. Everybody in New England makes that mistake...once.

The problem isn't power or even traction - it's that ATV plows only lift about 6", so you can't hoist the snow up and over a berm. I've been successful at carefully and slowly rising my blade, crafting a quarter-pipe shape that allows pushing up and over, but one mistake and it's ruined. Not worth the effort.

/ Plowing with an ATV #45  
Yup - you're a rookie alright. To answer your question about how to push once you've built up berms...you can't. You have to push the snow WAY back during the first storm so there is room to stack it up all the rest that falls, or you're screwed for the rest of the winter. Everybody in New England makes that mistake...once.

The problem isn't power or even traction - it's that ATV plows only lift about 6", so you can't hoist the snow up and over a berm. I've been successful at carefully and slowly rising my blade, crafting a quarter-pipe shape that allows pushing up and over, but one mistake and it's ruined. Not worth the effort.

Was never able to hoist snow up over a berm with my ATV and my plow was tapered...no matter how hard I tried, when the snow was deep enough it would crust over and the berms were hard enough to spin my ATV around.