Pneumatic Grease gun?

/ Pneumatic Grease gun? #11  
For what you describe, I'd go cordless rather than pneumatic. When I worked in construction many years ago, we had pneumatic everything. Pneumatic riveters, pneumatic caulk guns, etc. It was great, but the hoses were often a pain in the butt to deal with, and I think for infrequent use, they sometimes were more hassle than a manual tool. For greasing, I'd say look for a cordless grease gun from a brand that matches your other power tools, if possible, so that batteries can be shared. That will truly be the best option when trying to alleviate your injury issues. Good luck!

/ Pneumatic Grease gun? #12  
I picked up the "upgraded" silver air gun from Harbor Freight, made by Central Pneumatic... I think $35 ? So far so good. Much easier than the manual gun. Had a couple zerks that were real difficult to get to on my mower with the manual gun, but the air gun makes it a breeze.

I've never used the cordless ones, didn't even know they existed until I saw this thread! Sounds more convenient than air, but what's the cost?

I paid $130 for a bare tool Dewalt 18V, no batteries or charger. I already have 10 18V batteries and 3 chargers so was able to save that cost. Variable speed so allows delicate greasing or it will pump so fast you can barely count the strokes. Easy to load and always primes itself. Have no idea how many tubes one battery will pump. I'd guess at least 6, maybe 10. The hose is 36" long. It's a bit heavy but you don't notice that with the long hose.

/ Pneumatic Grease gun? #13  
I paid $130 for a bare tool Dewalt 18V, no batteries or charger. I already have 10 18V batteries and 3 chargers so was able to save that cost. Variable speed so allows delicate greasing or it will pump so fast you can barely count the strokes. Easy to load and always primes itself. Have no idea how many tubes one battery will pump. I'd guess at least 6, maybe 10. The hose is 36" long. It's a bit heavy but you don't notice that with the long hose.

Thx. Does that need a cO2 cartridge?

/ Pneumatic Grease gun? #15  
I have three of the Lincoln 1162 air grease guns and two Lock-N-Lube nozzles. One gun has a regular nozzle for special applications...like going through a narrow hole in mounting plates on an offset disc to get to the Zerks.

The air guns are lighter and there won't be the issue of coming up with a dead battery or having to bear the expense of replacing batteries. But the battery ones can be taken anywhere if you grease in the field.

If you only grease a few times a year, the battery ones might cause charging/battery life issues. Plus, they are expensive.

The air hose is an issue for some, but I haven't found it to be a problem. I have two of the coiled air lines put together with a 10 foot straight line on the end for a whip. It doesn't get hung up in the machinery like the coiled line does.

As far as your injury is concerned. If you can pull the trigger, then you can grease...that's it. Hold down the trigger for continuous pumping.

Here is a link to compare the offerings.

Amazon.com: lincoln grease gun: Automotive

/ Pneumatic Grease gun? #16  
I have 2 of the Lincoln pneumatic grease guns, really like them, they work great around the shop. I am thinking of getting a battery powered one to handle the tractor lubing duties, I am getting tired of dragging the air line around the tractor/loader/backhoe.

/ Pneumatic Grease gun? #17  
I went with air as I have to many dead batteries for slightly used tools. Only cordless tool that has held up is my Makita drill.

/ Pneumatic Grease gun? #18  
I went with air as I have to many dead batteries for slightly used tools. Only cordless tool that has held up is my Makita drill.

I'll jinx myself with this statement, but I never have battery or tool problems. All my stuff is 18V Dewalt. I've got some of the old style 18V batteries and they seem to die a bit quicker than the later model XPs. But I have no complaints.

I had an air gun that burned in my shop and I liked it a LOT better than a manual gun when doing big grease jobs. But now that I have a battery powered I'll not buy another air gun.

Also gotta understand, everyone's needs and uses are different.

For a new buyer, I'd think about how I'm gonna use the gun, and where, and how much grease am I going to squirt at a time.

The smaller the job, the more likely a cordless gun would be better.

Then when you jump up into a very large job, again, I think the cordless is better because you get tired of dragging the air hose.

If in an equipped shop with an air hose reel and greasing a tractor, air might be better.

/ Pneumatic Grease gun? #19  
I use air An old gass station pump that I got for 25 bucks at auction. Its on wheels and I buy the grease in bulk and save some money compared to tubes. It has a very long hose so simply by pulling up beside it with the machine I can get to every zerk on most equipment without doing anything more than feeding the hose to the other side right in the middle of the machine. with just the hose trailing the nozzle it is for me much better than any cartridge gun I have ever used no balancing act in tight spots, no need to constantly change out tubes, no running out of juice in the battery or problems with battery life.

/ Pneumatic Grease gun? #20  
I use air An old gass station pump that I got for 25 bucks at auction. Its on wheels and I buy the grease in bulk and save some money compared to tubes. It has a very long hose so simply by pulling up beside it with the machine I can get to every zerk on most equipment without doing anything more than feeding the hose to the other side right in the middle of the machine. with just the hose trailing the nozzle it is for me much better than any cartridge gun I have ever used no balancing act in tight spots, no need to constantly change out tubes, no running out of juice in the battery or problems with battery life.

Yeah Paul, I believe that would be a great setup!!! Now we've thrown another wrench into the decision making process. Heheheheh. :)