Pneumonia from working on tractor?????

/ Pneumonia from working on tractor????? #1  

blackd

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar FX24D replaced with Massey GC2400
Yesterday I was diagnosed with pneumonia. I retired 1 1/2 month ago, and started building a FEL for my Yanmar FX24D. So, here's the question. Can you get pneumonia from welding and grinding?

/ Pneumonia from working on tractor????? #2  
I don't see why not. Welding and grinding is crap in the air and crap in the air can screw up the lungs which is where pneumonia goes to play.

Heck I got pneumonia in Nam in July and I had just turned nineteen. Getting it is easy.

/ Pneumonia from working on tractor????? #3  
wear a dust mask. cheap way to save your lungs. I use them at work sometimes when jobs get dusty.

Get well.

/ Pneumonia from working on tractor?????
Dust mask Aye Aye. Came to that conclusion laying around here today. Any other tricks I should consider?

/ Pneumonia from working on tractor????? #5  
If possible use a fan to help suck the fumes out of your general area.
Be extremely careful if you are welding or cutting anything galvanized, the fumes and particles in the air can give you spots on your lungs (they found one in my right lung in 1986 and when they did a biopsy on it they found it to be from galvanized material).
If you are cutting in an enclosed area remember even though the flame is feed oxygen from the tank it also burns the oxygen in the air and could possibly cause you problems.

/ Pneumonia from working on tractor????? #6  
You can not get the Pneumonia from welding and grinding. An Pneumonia is a viral upper respiratory infection. Here is some info.

http://my.webmd.com/encyclopedia/article/4115.11492

If you stay healthy your immune system will keep the virus from flaring up. Just remember when you over tax your body you will also tax your immune system this is usually where the problem begins. Wearing a mask is a very good idea.

Take care,
Dave

/ Pneumonia from working on tractor????? #7  
I agree about the pneumonia being a viral issue. But, it is a good idea to plug all the holes. I've taken (in my old age /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif) to wearing ear plugs, as well as the face shield and breathing mask when grinding. I screwed up the sinuses by breathing the dust from using a Dremel on some rusted parts. Took a few years for that to go away....kinda like that galvanic coating on the lungs problem...now I make sure that no dust/fumes gets in any where to mess up what little I have left....

/ Pneumonia from working on tractor????? #8  
<font color=blue>You can not get the Pneumonia from welding and grinding. An Pneumonia is a viral upper respiratory infection. </font color=blue>

Pneumonia itself is simply a lung infection or fluid in your lungs, causing impaired oxygen exchange. It is not a single disease.

The leading cause is actually bacterial, not viral (viral is second, and typically due to Influenza A).

Pneumonia can also be caused by inhaling ("aspirating") fluids. This is why you cannot have anything to eat or drink before anaesthesia, because of the danger of an "aspiration pneumonia".

The <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.lungusa.org/diseases/lungpneumoni.html> American Lung Association</A> mentions over 30 causes, including chemical.

/ Pneumonia from working on tractor?????
After looking at the Med site I had many of the symptoms, not all, and there seems to be some confusion how to interprete them. I can certainly relate to that. It also is apparent I breathed in some biological matter in the past week or so, and I am in for a few weeks of recovery.

All the advice re: the mask and breathing fewer contaminants is taken to heart.

Thanks, Y'all.

/ Pneumonia from working on tractor????? #10  
toystuff -

<font color=blue>You can not get the Pneumonia from welding and grinding. </font color=blue>

To parrot Hank, Pneumonia can be caused by a variety of things. The "WebMD" explanation is incomplete at best. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.afscme.org/health/faq-weld.htm>Use this link</A> for a more detailed explanation of the hazzards (including pneumonia) associated with welding.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.saif.com/WorkSafe/RMGuides/ss-832.pdf>This Link</A> gives some good info (overview) and also cites Vanadium as a cause of pneumonia in folks who weld.