Pole barn ceiling options?

/ Pole barn ceiling options? #12  
I would add a layer of plastic under the insulation, just to have a continuous vapor barrier.

Big ditto on that, metal on a ceiling in those cold climates will really condense moisture without a barrier.

/ Pole barn ceiling options? #13  
Nice! Is the framework on the truck your work platform for the job?

I made the temporary work platform for me to stand on while installing the ceiling panels, worked great. Of course I had to constantly move the truck but that was the easy part, thanks.

Attachments

• wall 1.jpg
    wall 1.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 830
   / Pole barn ceiling options?
Big ditto on that, metal on a ceiling in those cold climates will really condense moisture without a barrier.

Yep, I've got plenty of vapor barrier left over, so I was planning on putting a layer under the insulation.

I made the temporary work platform for me to stand on while installing the ceiling panels, worked great. Of course I had to constantly move the truck but that was the easy part, thanks.

That's a great idea! My ceiling is too high for that, but my neighbor has a powered scaffold, so I should be set there.

/ Pole barn ceiling options? #16  
Yep, I've got plenty of vapor barrier left over, so I was planning on putting a layer under the insulation.

If by vapor barrier you mean something like Tyvek, I wouldn't use that on the ceiling. Vapor barrier is designed to allow air containing moisture to pass relatively freely, but it's designed to stop liquid water. That's why it works well on the exterior wall of a house, because that's exactly what you're trying to accomplish. But on a ceiling over a heated space, you don't want to allow the moist warm air to make it's way into the insulation and attic area because that will cause the moisture in the air to condense and spoil the insulation. On the ceiling you want to use as heavy a plastic as you're comfortable installing and can afford so that the moist air can't penetrate it. It's also good to caulk the edges where they overlap, so the moist air can't sneak through. If you're insulating your walls you want to do the same thing. Put up heavy plastic on the inside of the building to stop humidity from flowing out into the wall, and Tyvek on the outside of the building to allow any humidity in the wall to escape rather than condensing into water.

If by vapor barrier you mean something like Tyvek, I wouldn't use that on the ceiling. Vapor barrier is designed to allow air containing moisture to pass relatively freely, but it's designed to stop liquid water. That's why it works well on the exterior wall of a house, because that's exactly what you're trying to accomplish. But on a ceiling over a heated space, you don't want to allow the moist warm air to make it's way into the insulation and attic area because that will cause the moisture in the air to condense and spoil the insulation. On the ceiling you want to use as heavy a plastic as you're comfortable installing and can afford so that the moist air can't penetrate it. It's also good to caulk the edges where they overlap, so the moist air can't sneak through. If you're insulating your walls you want to do the same thing. Put up heavy plastic on the inside of the building to stop humidity from flowing out into the wall, and Tyvek on the outside of the building to allow any humidity in the wall to escape rather than condensing into water.

I'm going to use the same heavy sheet plastic that I used when I did the slab...I think it's 6mil thick. R,

/ Pole barn ceiling options? #18  
6 mil is a good choice. That's what I used on my ceiling and walls. Less thick and the staples won't hold and thicker is really heavy to handle by yourself.

/ Pole barn ceiling options? #19  
I can't believe you have a building inspector or code that is concerned with a ceiling in a pole barn. Around here you can build what you want. Nobody drives around the country inspecting the ceiling in pole barns. Talk about a waste of time.

I can't believe you have a building inspector or code that is concerned with a ceiling in a pole barn. Around here you can build what you want. Nobody drives around the country inspecting the ceiling in pole barns. Talk about a waste of time.

Well, he still has to inspect the building, then electric, then mechanical (radiant heat), then water, and finally get county septic approval, so they'll be here a lot anyway.